Yet Another Fondant Question

Decorating By madicakes Updated 27 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm by madicakes

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
My daughter's birthday is coming up. I'm making a cake for her, of course. I just finished the MMF loops for the bow on top, and they're hanging to dry. I figured since I had the fondant out I'd go ahead and do the flowers, stripes swirls and dots for the decorations on the cake. Would you recommend I not do them yet so they'll be soft on the cake? How do you guys handle this? I'm sure they'll pose a problem either way when cutting, I just figured having them somewhat soft would be better than hardened.
Thanks bunches!

5 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 6

The flowers, depending on the type, probably need to be done ahead of time. The stripes, I'd do when I was decorating the cake and not ahead of time. The swirls, it depends on how those are made really.... I'd probably make those when I was decorating the cake too icon_smile.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 6

I actually let mine dry & put them on the cake & they're hard (like royal icing would be?). Some people like them "crunchy" & other people pick them off, so this is a good question for me too - thanks for asking it!

jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 6

If you want them to stay soft, but you want to do them ahead of time. Put them between two layers of Press n' Seal. Just get out as much air as you can around each individual decoration. It works great!

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 6

From my experience I'd wait to do the decorations until you've covered the cake, particularly if any of them are going onto a curved surface. I felt the same way you do when I did the rockin' wrappin' cake (in my photos). I had to throw out all the pre-made packages because I forgot they need to follow the curve of the cake. The fondant also tended to dry out and crack. I guess a lot would depend on how large the pieces are. Smaller pieces are easier to keep.

Good luck with your cake and be sure to post pictures!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I'll make the flowers that I want curved ahead of time and put them on the flower former. Everything else I'll either wait to make or make and put between the press and seal (thanks for the tip jewel!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%