Chocolate Wedding Cake

Baking By jpattay Updated 30 Jul 2006 , 1:22am by fronklowes

jpattay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpattay Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have a good chocolate cake recipe that I could use for a wedding cake. I have one to do in september. Thanks, Jen

9 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 10

My best one is a doctored up cake mix. It's called Double Chocolate Slap Yo Mamma Cake. LOL!!! I use a box of Devil's Food Cake Mix, the Extender Recipe from this site, and a box of Chocolate fudge pudding mix. I made it this weekend for a baby shower (you can see the cake in my photos - Celstial baby cake). Nobody wanted to cut the cake at first, but once they cut it, you couldn't keep the guests away from it!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 10

I used the chocolate fudge cake recipe in Toba Garrett's book. The last 2 brides ordered it with choc IMBC for filling and icing. One had Choco-pan Dark Choc fondant also. I served the all choc cake and heard all the raves. The other bride had selected white cake with cheesecake filling and Raspberry, then called me back to change the bottom tier to choc with choc filling because her fiance would not stop begging for it!

jpattay Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:24am
post #4 of 10

thanks so much for recipes. I will use it, sounds really good. icon_surprised.gif)

jpattay Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 1:30am
post #5 of 10

misdawn, could u give me the exact recipe? I don't know the extender you are talking about. Thank again, Jen

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 10

It's 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 10

This is my chocolate cake recipe. It's an adaptation I made up from cassandrascakes (on the Wilton forum) Delicious large quantity cake mix.

2 DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mixes
1 box chocolate fudge pudding
2 cups flour
6 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 sticks butter
2 sticks margarine
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 2/3 cups water
1/2 bag Hershey's special dark chocolate chips

Cream butter, margarine, and sugar together. Add eggs and oil. Mix until blended. Add cake mix, pudding, flour, and baking powder to the bowl. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth. Add chocolate chips to the bowl and gently mix them in by hand or on low speed. Bake as usual.

Personally, I spray my pans with the "crisco with flour" spray. For pans 8" or larger, I add a flower nail (or two or three or four for large cakes). Just place the flat part of the nail in the sprayed pan and spray the underside and stem of the nail. Then, I bake everything at 325 degrees until a tester comes out cleanly.

Beware, though, with this recipe, sometimes you stick your toothpick in a melted chocolate chip. So if you see goo, make sure it's batter and not chocolate!

This recipe is moist. However, for super-moist cake, once you have flipped the cake out of the pan, wrap it in press'nseal (or saran wrap in a pinch) and allow it to cool the rest of the way sealed up. This makes the moisture of the evaporating steam go back into the cake when it condenses. You can let it cool on the counter, in the fridge, or in the freezer once it is sealed up.

I've used this with several stacked/tiered caked without problems.

fronklowes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 10

I forgot to add that the recipe is for a 5 quart mixer. I have a 4.5 quart mixer and it works fine, but I have to clean my gears out a little bit after I mix it up.

jpattay Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks fronklowes, do u use both butter and margarine?

fronklowes Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 1:22am
post #10 of 10

Yes, 2 sticks of butter and 2 sticks of margarine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%