Belly Cake Explained!

Decorating By gingerkitten79 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm by SunFly

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:55am
post #1 of 16

Ive had so many requests on how to do my belly cake i thought rather reply to every note individually i would post it on the forum!
In all honesty it was relatively easy! Kind of!

*I started with the frame work of the actual belly. This is 2 styrofoam balls, one largish and one smaller. Cut both in half evenly, and you have your belly and your boobies.

*I covered these in gladwrap (saranwrap i think you call it) so it had a smooth surface to cover. In hindsight i would have covered them in a skin
coloured material like a nylon stocking first so i didnt have to disturb it too much.

*I then stuck them together so they made a basic shape and didn't move
around too much.

*I then rolled out my sugar paste, but any icing that rolls and sets hard would be fine to use, MMF etc and using a rough template i cut the dress shape. I made the dress shape about 2 inches bigger than the actual belly shape to allow for draping.

*Dust the belly mould with cornflour or icing sugar. VERY IMPORTANT! otherwise it sticks! If you are putting it directly onto a mould that is finished with the nylon you should be fine.

*Using a rolling pin i transferred the icing to the belly mould. Then it was all a matter of primping and preening to get it to the right shape that i liked. I had originally planned to make it a "lace up bodice" type of effect on the neck of the dress but that didnt work very well so i would suggest just making it a basic dress shape.

*After i was happy with that i let it dry for a few days. DO NOT TOUCH IT! I found mine was very succeptable to cracking but thats because i had a bad sugarpaste.

*Once it had dried sufficiently, i started with the decorating.

* Firstly i dusted it with a white irridecent eyeshadow - i lost my lusterdust on the way home!!! ( it is not toxic and does the same thing and since i figured it was not being eaten it would be fine lol!)

*I made one quantity of royal icing, to use as glue and for the flowerdots on the dress. I edged the bodice,( to cover the holes i had poked for the lacing that didnt work) under the bust( to cover a BIG crack) and the bottom of the dress with lace glued on with royal icing.

*I coloured four small separate amounts of the royal icing pink, yellow, blue and green and watered them down slightly so they would make lovely even dots and then it was just a matter of doing one blue dot, then a yellow dot and then a pink dot. When the dress was covered on a nice pattern i then painted on the green "leaves"

* After that it was just a matter of the pink dots on the lace (which in hindsight i would have left off but some form of piping over the lace would have been nice to cover the edge) and to stick on the bow with some royal icing.

And thats pretty much it! I plonked it on top of a slab cake. And everyone loved it!
Decorating something like this is fairly subjective, and please dont take my work for anything because i also had a very hard time with it too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Things that went wrong"
-i made my own sugar paste with gelatine and i did not realise the gelatine had not dissoved properly until i rolled it out and i didnt have enough ingredients to make another lot
- hence it was a very bad mix covered in small cracks and you could see flecks of gelatine all thru it! This is why all those little flowerdots came in handy!!
-I kept playing with it, so it cracked quite badly under one of the boobs. But that was also my bad icing.
- I didnt think about trying to get it off the belly mould until it was on there and you could see them underneath. So i had to get my boy to help me turn it over without cracking it so i could peel them off and put them in stockings to look like skin colour.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All i can say to anyone wanting to try this i please plan everything out! and give yourself at least two weeks! i had 6 days! I am terribly notorious for biting off more than i can chew, so plan plan plan!
I hope this helps everyone who is looking to attempt something like this and to all those who have done this and posted in the gallery thankyou for your inspiration!
Good Luck!!!
ginger x
LL
LL

15 replies
MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:15am
post #2 of 16

Thankyou so much for the fab instructions! I am dying to make one!

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 16

thanks!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 16

Great instructions!

Would you possibly send them into Jackie and Heath so we can have an article? Then the directions won't get lost in the forums.

Great cake, I really hope to have an opportunity to make one of these someday.

Leily

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 16

So the one pictured isn't an actual cake, but a dummy. Would it work to use a half ball pan and mini ball pan cakes?

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:11am
post #6 of 16

I was thinking the same thing. Large and small ball pans. You could make a sexy nighty (without the belly) with the half ball pans.

gingerkitten79 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:27am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Great instructions!

Would you possibly send them into Jackie and Heath so we can have an article? Then the directions won't get lost in the forums.

Great cake, I really hope to have an opportunity to make one of these someday.

Leily

Thanks for the imput, how do i do that?
Ginger x

gingerkitten79 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:31am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peajay66

So the one pictured isn't an actual cake, but a dummy. Would it work to use a half ball pan and mini ball pan cakes?

It would work to use cakes my only concern was the fact that in needed a week to dry and the cakes underneath might go a little funky and dry. Good luck with giving it a go!
Ginger x

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:56am
post #9 of 16

It's adorable!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:35am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerkitten79

Thanks for the imput, how do i do that?
Ginger x

I would send a PM to Jackie as I don't see a "submit article" on the articles page. Unless I am not seeing it, maybe someone else might know where it is.

Leily

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:23pm
post #11 of 16

Copy it into an e-mail and e-mail it to:
[email protected]

gingerkitten79 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVienneaus

Copy it into an e-mail and e-mail it to:
[email protected]

thanks for that i will!
Ginger x

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 16

OH thank you!!!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 16

thank you, very helpful.

deanamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanamarie Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks so much for sharing in detail how you did this cake very nice...

SunFly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunFly Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you! I will get started on mine soon and you have wonderful ideas with an awesome outcome! We are always more critical of our own work, just know you did a GREAT job here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%