Freeze Bananas

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 2:48am by NEWTODECORATING

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 13

I'm going to have extra bananas when I complete making a big cake. Can I put them in the freezer as is, or do I need to do something to help preserve them. Any and all help welcome. Thank you!

12 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 13

I freeze bananas for fruit smoothies for breakfast. I peel them and cut them into chunks, put'em in a big ziplock freezer bag. The dont look pretty but they hold their taste just fine!!!
thumbs_up.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 13

I peel them and put a popcycle stick in them wrap individually with press and seal--My 4 year old thinks it is a banana popcycle.

Or I mash with a fork and freeze in 2 cup containers for banana bread later

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 13

I just peel them and pop them into a freezer bag.

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 13

I don't even peel mine before freezing. I let them overripen for banana bread, then just stick them in the freezer. Then pull them out, put them in a bowl in the fridge overnight to thaw, then use the next am for banana bread. Works great! Be warned they are very watery when they thaw, not the consistency of regular bananas anymore (so not good to eat straight, unless maybe as a popcicle as someone else mentioned).

angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 13

I mash them and put them in a ziplock bag. I usually put two together which is enough for a basic banana bread recipe.

lapazlady Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 13

Oh, thank you so much. I shall stick 'em in the freezer. I expect they'll be for banana bread or banana cake, so a change in consistancy is no problem.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 13

No they work great for banana bread and smash up really easily.

jilliankinsel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliankinsel Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 13

I freeze them in their peel. I let sit on the counter about 30 mins before using. Works great for banana bread or in home made icecream.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 13

i just throw mine in the freezer skin and all... and in fact i find them better for use in my banana cake done this way rather than fresh ones as they defrost out all mushy hehe... also gives that little more moisture to ensure a moist cake.

lapazlady Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 13

Seems that keeping the peel on is the easiest and may well be the best way to freeze. 6 very ripe bananas are destined for a ziplock and the freezer. Thank you, one and all.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

I peel them and put a popcycle stick in them wrap individually with press and seal--My 4 year old thinks it is a banana popcycle.

Or I mash with a fork and freeze in 2 cup containers for banana bread later

ever dipped them in chocolate too?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 2:48am
post #13 of 13

shhh.gif Don't tell my 4 year old! He doesn't need the extra sugar!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%