Deep Red Wine And Champagne Colors

Decorating By llee815 Updated 28 Jul 2006 , 5:03pm by llee815

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 8

I just got my first wedding inquiry from someone I went to school with. It's going to seem simple enough, but they want colors I don't really see too often. Does anyone know how I would get a "deep red wine" and champagne color? Does Wilton or Americolor make colors like those? Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks!!

Leslie

7 replies
PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 8

Try Americolor's colors. You may not find the exact color but you can always mix colors. You can get a color wheel at Home Depot or a paint store for about a dollar. Look at the color wheel which will tell you which colors make what when mixed. Hope this helps a little.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 8

Maybe for a red wine color you could use a red & a maroon together...... I know i've seen those colors w/ Wilton. Although you might want to warn her that any guests that eat the red icing may have red teeth & tongues..... so she might want to pick a "lighter" color. As for champagne, I would imagine just a very very light brown added to white frosting could give that effect. If she wanted to pay for it, you could probably use some pearl luster dust to give it that kind of champagne look......

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 8

here is a color chart to help you:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm

I would get a sample of the colors she wants. For deep red color you may have to start with a burgunday, maroon (which may be the closted color for a deep wine) or red with a little black. For the Champagne try ivory and work from their. Now remember if the deep wine color you want the longer that sits the deeper it will get espically if it has red in it. I would go with Americolor they work the best.

llee815 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for everyone's help. leana, thanks for the link. It's going to be really helpful.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks Leana for that colouring information. I have copied it. I have some deep red/black velvety roses to do so hopefully I will be able to sort it now I have this chart. I have learned so much since joining here and everyone is so helpful. It's like going to classes and conferences without leaving my home. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

dada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dada Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 8

I have been experimenting for deep wine colour for couple of weeks now, and I did it this past Sunday. Used Wilton burgundy, but the trick that did it was a little bit of cocoa powder in icing BEFORE colouring. That did it! Don't over do it with cocoa though a little goes a long way. Play with small qty first. For the other colour, I have no idea. Happy sailing!

llee815 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dada

I have been experimenting for deep wine colour for couple of weeks now, and I did it this past Sunday. Used Wilton burgundy, but the trick that did it was a little bit of cocoa powder in icing BEFORE colouring. That did it! Don't over do it with cocoa though a little goes a long way. Play with small qty first. For the other colour, I have no idea. Happy sailing!

Thanks for that! Since you added a bit of cocoa powder to your icing, were you able to taste the chocolate in it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%