Smooth Icing

Decorating By audreylovesbrian Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 1:50am by GenGen

audreylovesbrian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreylovesbrian Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 11

I am new to cake decorating and I can't seem to get smooth bc. some times I get bubbles in the icing so when I smooth over it with the spatula I get holes. And it seems the more I try to smooth it the worse it gets.

Any suggestions?[/img]

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 11

Having a turntable is a big plus. Have you heard of the hot-knife method? Run your icing spatula under very hot water, then smooth the icing. THe hot metal of the knife will melt the icing to a smooth look.

The #1 method is the Melvira method using a high density foam roller. (See home page under "articles"). Once you try this, you'll never use any other method!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:00am
post #3 of 11

I totally agree. I used to use the hot knife method and then I discovered the Melvira Method. I love it! I'll never do anything else. It's so easy and makes my cakes look so smooth. I highly recommend it.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:06am
post #4 of 11

DITTO!!!!

p_hernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p_hernandez Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:09am
post #5 of 11

I don't this method did not work for me.

ginaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginaann Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #6 of 11

I used the hot knive method, then the parchment on top and smoothed with my hand, and just last week read about the roller one. I couldn't find a high density roller in my area, but did get the firmest roller I could find...people at the paint store thought I was nuts...but definitely try the roller...and the spackling spatula is another GREAT idea for sides...

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:58am
post #7 of 11

I must chime in that I tried the Melvira for the 1st time last week and what smooth icing!!! Please give it a try...it works!!!
I didn't have as much luck with the hot knife or parchment, but the roller is a wonder! thumbs_up.gif

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:04am
post #8 of 11

Don't use trans fat free shortening it will give you problems like you mentioned.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:10am
post #9 of 11

to reduce the amount of air bubbles in your icing mix it only on low speed on your mixer that will keep the bubbles down... making it easier to spread.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:14am
post #10 of 11

Well, my recent experience is this: I am always leery to try anyone's "sure fire Method" for getting BC smooth. I have tried a bunch and none seem to work for me. So I broke down, after my last cake (the princess one in my pics) and got a foam roller. And bygolly it worked! It took a little work, but I got my smoothest cake ever!

I will post pictures tonight.

Stephanie

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:50am
post #11 of 11

when i first was learning how to smooth cakes i stumbled acrossed then what i thought was an ingenious way to do it.a spray bottle and a knife hehe.. took me a while to find the real cake knives and the hot water method icon_smile.gif lol silly i know but hey i DID figure it out icon_wink.gif lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%