Pottery Barn Maypole Cake?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 12:52pm by LittleLinda

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:52am
post #1 of 20

A friend would like me to make a first bday cake this coming weekend. She gave me the colors and design and said she had originally wanted a cake she had seen in the spring Pottery Barn magazine, and it had a maypole with ribbons hanging down...but now she lost the photo. So she just said to match the party theme however I want. But I think it would be cool if someone here recognizes the design I'm referring to and can send me a link or photo/scan?

Thanks!

19 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 20

I'm not aware that pottery barn has a magazine. Maybe she saw it in a catalog on top of a kitchen table they were selling! I'm sure any maypole design you come up with will delight her and the child.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I'm not aware that pottery barn has a magazine. Maybe she saw it in a catalog on top of a kitchen table they were selling! I'm sure any maypole design you come up with will delight her and the child.

Well yeah...magazine, catalog, whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

I wasn't trying to sound cute ... I meant that where Pottery Barn is a furnishings store; I thought the cake wouldn't have been the main focal point of the picture she saw, and it might be hard to find. But if it were a magazine, it might have featured the cake and instructions.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't trying to sound cute ... I meant that where Pottery Barn is a furnishings store; I thought the cake wouldn't have been the main focal point of the picture she saw, and it might be hard to find. But if it were a magazine, it might have featured the cake and instructions.

Right...I assume it was probably a catalog like you said, with a display on a table or something. I was hoping maybe somebody on here gets the catalogs and could check out the spring one to see if they could find and scan it.

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 20

This is not pottery barn, but maybe it will help
http://www.geocities.com/magdacakes/Maypole.html

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks! I did find a few maypole cakes (a cute one on CC actually) and I just have to figure out how to keep the ribbon smoothly wrapped on the dowel, and how to make them come out nicely from the top.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 20

no idea, but i'll ask some friends to see if maybe someone has it. i'll come back here, if by chance someone does.
GL

bubbles4500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles4500 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 20

Try going to the pottery barn website. Many stores have their catalogs on line now..you might find it there

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 20

If you live near a Pottery Barn they often have the catalogs in their store. You could stop in and look!

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 20

Sorry this isn't going to help, but I do remember seeing that cake in a pb catalog. I didn't save it and it probably was a year ago.
Unfortunately I can't remember anything about it, except that it was cute.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 20

I looked through my files - a lot of times I'll keep ideas from the Pottery Barn Kids magazines. They have wonderful suggestions and themes for kid's parties (even if their products cost a fortune!). icon_wink.gif

I guess I didn't save the maypole cake. You might try to contact PBK's customer service at 800-993-4923. They may be able to email you a copy of the picture. Wouldn't hurt to try, at least!

Good luck!
Bec

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 20

It's on page 50 of the Pottery Barn Kids early spring 2007 catalog. It's cute, but I've seen a lot better. (I can't scan it, broken printer...)
I know that alot of people don't like Sandra Lee, but she did a cute one. She just hot glued ribbon to one end of a dowel, wrapped it around the dowel and stuck it into the center of the cake. She then glued like 5 more ribbons to the end of the dowel and fanned them out around the cake. To hide the glued end she topped it with a little grouping of silk flowers. I think she also had some flowers tucked in among cupcakes on top of her cake. I wasn't impressed with the cupcakes, but the rest of it was cute! Hope this helps you!!

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks all!

For now I plan to copy the theme of their party plates onto the cake...and I bought 4-5 small ribbon spools the color of the party and am going to try to make a maypole...I think the lady said a bee was on the top of the pottery barn one so I will do a ladybug to match the party I think.

heidisuesmom Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:53pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

Thanks all!

For now I plan to copy the theme of their party plates onto the cake...and I bought 4-5 small ribbon spools the color of the party and am going to try to make a maypole...I think the lady said a bee was on the top of the pottery barn one so I will do a ladybug to match the party I think.

Yes, there is a small wooden bee! The only thing I don't like about the pottery barn one is that the dowel is bare. To me that looks very unfinished. If they would've wrapped it it would be great! I think you've got the right idea, just go with you instinct! It'll turn out very cute!!

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 20

Hi,

I did a maypole cake not to long ago, and I wanted to do a couple of things differently but 1) I didn't have the experience to do it and 2) didn't have the patience to let the fondant dry. icon_lol.gif

I wanted to stand the maypole up onto the cake instead of laying it down, and I also wanted to wrap the ribbons around the pole into one of the prettier designs that the kids make. I came to the conclusion that unless I had 16 miniature kids dance around the fondant pole and actually paying attention to what they were doing, that it just wasn't going to happen. I imagine that it could be done, but I have no idea how. Let me rephrase that; I know how it can be done, but I don't know how to explain it, and I would be scared of the ribbons breaking and you would have to start all over again. For example, the basketweave is a simple over/under dance (in theory, it is simple) and leaves a gorgeous design on the pole; however, unless you have 16 hands that can move the 2 different colored ribbons at the same time, it won't leave the pretty design on the pole. Unless icon_surprised.gif , you are very good at patching fondant, and then you could just lay out pieces on the pole (in the basketweave design) and then have the ribbons hanging down off of the pole under where the ribbon design stops. That would probably work. If that made any sense at all, then I hope it works for you and your idea. If it didn't make sense, please let me know, and I might have more coffee in my system and I might be able to explain it better.

Good luck with the Maypole cake and could you please let me know if you figure anything out with the designs. It would always be good to know for next year's maypole dance.[/img]

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 20

is it on the regular PB of PBkids?

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:28pm
post #18 of 20

OK, I emailed PBK and they sent me the link:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/content/party/cake/stylehouse.cfm?flash=on

Looks like just a basic round cake with a dowel & some ribbon. I love the idea of the cake decorating party - I did that for my kids one year & they loved it!

Hope this helps!
Bec

heidisuesmom Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

OK, I emailed PBK and they sent me the link:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/content/party/cake/stylehouse.cfm?flash=on

Looks like just a basic round cake with a dowel & some ribbon. I love the idea of the cake decorating party - I did that for my kids one year & they loved it!

Hope this helps!
Bec

Yay!!!!!!! Way to go Bec!!!!!

LittleLinda Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:52pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSurina

If it didn't make sense, please let me know, and I might have more coffee in my system and I might be able to explain it better.[/img]

LOL!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%