Cake Leveling???am I The Only One Who Does This?

Decorating By Tonja Updated 14 Aug 2006 , 9:54pm by mkerton

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 10:00pm
post #61 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

I said it once and I will say it again, those of you who are hump pressers scare me a bit. icon_surprised.gif

Gosh, what do you have against the cake anyway that you have to push it around. icon_lol.gif

If you do not get rid of the hump, when you do wedding cakes especially, your cake will not be level.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:06am
post #62 of 121

RE: Agbay... I know the price seems like a lot, but like I said. SOOO worth it. You have to try one to appreciate it I guess. I have the two blade one, and it's a breeze!! Just to know that my cakes will not be torn apart when I tort them no matter how soft the textures are is worth it! I love my Agbay!!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:38pm
post #63 of 121

cakesbyjess:
Good point and yes it seems it would be a great investment for you. The saying "to each to their own" really applies here. icon_wink.gif

traceysob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceysob Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 2:02pm
post #64 of 121

I can't see myself spending $250 for a leveler but tiptop is right, 'to each his own'.
I did do the flower nail trick last night and didn't need to level the cake afterword! That's a great little trick- thanks for sharing!!!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:36pm
post #65 of 121

rezzycakes ... I'm glad to see that someone else loves the Agbay. I'm saving for the two blade one, and I just know that it will make my cake decorating life better! icon_smile.gif

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:16pm
post #66 of 121

"Momof3boys" wrote

Quote:
Quote:

The dishtowel method works especially well when you make cupcake cakes. Makes all the cupcakes flat and even.

How do you do it without squashing the cupakes or their cases??

jackimorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackimorgan Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:19pm
post #67 of 121

I tried the flower nail trick last night and it did not work.....

dashing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dashing Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:28pm
post #68 of 121

Do you "squish" it down while it is still in the pan? While it is warm? If so does it make it harder to get out? I was going to try the strips but now I'm having second thoughts. I also see that you can make your own strips with wet terrycloth. Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:36pm
post #69 of 121

I have never used any type of strips... So I cannot help you there.... Yes, you press it down while it is still in the pan.. If you grease and flour your pan well, you should not have any problems. i hope it works well for you...

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:41pm
post #70 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackimorgan

Your cake didn't bake evenly in the center? I don't think it makes a difference as far as getting a hump in the middle. It just ensures that the cake bakes well in the center.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:44pm
post #71 of 121

I've used the wilton leveler and never had a problem, I just go slowly and carefully. The cut-off humps never go to waste-they go to appease my husband's requests of "Is it ready yet" So I can actually decorate it in somewhat of peace. Now if only I could figure out the frosting equivalent of cut off cake humps!!!! icon_lol.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:50pm
post #72 of 121

OMG icon_surprised.gif For $250 I would want it to perform for me! icon_lol.gif. As for knives I am in love w/ my Wusthof & it too cuts like butter & I bought it at TJ Maxx for about $20.

As for the dishtowel method I have had luck & no luck. Think the no luck was actually the cake itself--it was a total nightmare anyway. Heard about the nail, but not tried it yet. My instructor told me to use it on 10" or above & I've not baked any that large yet.

I too am interested in how you use the towel method on cupcakes--I have the darndest time w/ cupcakes. Do you just pat them individually?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:08pm
post #73 of 121

I use the Wilton baking strips and the Wilton leveler and have zero problems. The strips make the cake rise higher than the pan, making it easy to trim. I do the trim while it's still in the pan, using the pan as a guide for the initial level, and doing quick back-n-forth sawing motions. This makes it easier to flip onto the cooling rack. After it cools, I may trim it again (slightly and only if needed) because I dont' want any of the 'brown' top crust in the middle of my white wedding cake. I dont' consider the trimmed cake wasted.....it's part of the cost of production.

I did a 3-tier, torted strawberry shortcake wedding cake about 3 weeks ago (Each tier therefore was 4 layers of cake with strawberry glaze between, then each tier topped with whole strawberries) and I used the Wilton leveler and it worked fine. The mother of the bride came over and told me she had been surveying the guests and the cake was a big hit! I was glad to hear it because I'd never done one like this before. (pic to be posted on mywebsite soon.)

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:14pm
post #74 of 121

I haven't tried it, but for those asking about the cupcakes, I read somewhere here that you can take like a sheetcake board and place it on top of the cupcakes while they are still in the pan and it will make them all even & level.

As far as leveling, I use the towel method all the time - and I forget all the time to put on an oven mitt too!!! Ouch! My biggest problem is the torting - it NEVER seems to come out right no matter how hard I try - and there are alwasy crumbs everywhere even when I freeze the cake for a little bit....... so I can't wait to get an Agbay - looks so awesome.... putting it on my Christmas list.... of course it would be my ONLY present..... but that might be okay w/ me. The only other thing I really want is Michael's gift certificates - or ooh I wish you could buy ebay gift certificates...... that would be cool... do they do that??? icon_confused.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 7:53pm
post #75 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyladyhelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

I said it once and I will say it again, those of you who are hump pressers scare me a bit. icon_surprised.gif

Gosh, what do you have against the cake anyway that you have to push it around. icon_lol.gif

If you do not get rid of the hump, when you do wedding cakes especially, your cake will not be level.

I think she was joking, btw. icon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 8:13pm
post #76 of 121

Yep, yep she says, "tongue in cheek" blushing icon_redface.gif that nobody understood her humor.
Ta da dum, chortle, chortle icon_wink.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 8:47pm
post #77 of 121

The agbay website has a video that demos how their cake leveling tool works... It seems really effortless!

cakesbyjess Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:58pm
post #78 of 121

imartsy ... there are indeed ebay gift certificates!!!! Yippee!! Here's the link: https://certificates.ebay.com/

There are a few restrictions (i.e., seller must accept PayPal as a form of payment), but nothing really crazy.

There you go! icon_smile.gif

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:23pm
post #79 of 121

I wish I'd have read this yesterday before I sweated over how to level and then torte a 14" round with the smaller leveler I have. we'll see today how good I did.

and by the way, i'm still wonderin ghow I'm going to flip over that lower level now that i've torted the 14".

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:27pm
post #80 of 121

I was reading this thread yesterday and thought I would try the "dishtowel" method!! Well, I made a carrot cake last night and did this method, LOVE IT!! So much easier and you're not wasting cake!! I will continue to use my leveler for torting, but from now on, I'm using the "dishtowel" method to get my cakes even!!!

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:27pm
post #81 of 121

Maire, where is the 14" cake now? To flip it, how about putting a cookie sheet or cake board on top and then just flip? Or maybe I'm not understand what you're saying ...

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:10pm
post #82 of 121

For the dish towel method, how long do you hold it down? And when do you do it? And also how do you do it to cupcakes?

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:31pm
post #83 of 121

Jess--

the 14" is on a big cutting board right now (Never made the 14" before so I don't have a cooling rack big enough.

when I flipped the first section (because I torted it for filling) I used a 16" cake circle to help me get it w/o breaking. I"m guessing I'll do that this time as well, but i'm a little worried about smearing the filling all over the place, KWIM?

This is the first cake i'm making for a total stranger so i'm a littl enervous!

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:08pm
post #84 of 121

Maire ... how about putting the half that doesn't have filling on it down on top of the half that does, and then flipping the whole thing?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 5:00am
post #85 of 121

[quote="tiptop57"]I said it once and I will say it again, those of you who are hump pressers scare me a bit. icon_surprised.gif

"hump pressers" - I'm ROFLMAO icon_lol.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 9:29am
post #86 of 121

I've tried "pressing the hump" (lol) a few times and I didn't like it. To me the part that got smooshed was just that, smooshed. I didn't care for the texture at all. That being said, I rarely have to level my cakes. I usually use the bake even strips and bake at 335. I might have a slight hump, but it usually settles and after turning it out on my cooling rack gets smooshed down a little bit too.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 1:21pm
post #87 of 121

i'm gonna try the dishcloth method, but i don't have a problem using the level---YET

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 2:06pm
post #88 of 121

I have the agbay and love it...it is so worth the money.

But I too am sick of wasting cake. Can someone give me more details on mashing down the cake? How do you do a big 16 inch cake or a sheet cake? Do you put the towel on the cake and then put a cake board over it and them press? How long do you press? Won't it crack the cake?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 2:11pm
post #89 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackimorgan

I also do not like the flowernail method...it doesn't do anything and the nails are a pain to clean up.

I cook my cakes at lower temp (325) and for the larger cakes, I use the core. My cakes come pretty level. But I like a super level, flat top on my cakes, so I trim them a little. I also like all my layers to be exactly the same thickness. (I guess I like my cakes to look good even when sliced! haha)

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 11:37pm
post #90 of 121

Just an FYI. this method doesn't work on scratch cakes. I use this all the time when i use a mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%