Mousse To Attach Fondant?

Decorating By Wjk Updated 11 Jun 2007 , 4:21am by Wjk

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:13am
post #1 of 9

I will me making a lemon cake with rasberry mousse filling. The cake will be covered in fondant. Can I use the rasberry mousse to ice the cake and then cover in fondant? Or does it have to be buttercream?

TIA!

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 9

It depends on how sturdy the mousse is. If it melts under the fondant, it could cause the fondant to melt or slip. If you use it very thin, as a crumb coat, it can help to adhere the fondant without causing melting.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:31am
post #3 of 9

I could be wrong here, I don't have a ton of experience, but I don't think that the mousse would keep the fondant in place. I think you would have a lot of sliding and tearing of your fondant if you go that route. Hope somebody else can give you a definitive answer!

sandy5491 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy5491 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:34am
post #4 of 9

How to do a cream filling step by step

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:39am
post #5 of 9

I would not advise doing that .I made strawberries and cream cake for my son's birthday , and iced with the same filling ,It sweated and my fondant was sliping of the cake .and right before the party my chocolate figures fell off tearing the foundant.I managed to put them back it was heart breaking.You can see it my pics. icon_redface.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

You said the cake was going to be lemon, I would buy some Robertson's Lemon Curd. It is in the jam and jelly section of my store. Heat it in the microwave or in a saucepan, just to thin it. Brush it on the cake with a pastry brush, just a light coat but make sure you cover the entire cake, if it is warm when you brush it on let the cake set for a few minutes to cool before trying to cover it with the fondant. It will hold the fondant in place and it won't melt or run. That little bit of extra lemon flavor will enhance the cake as well.

The leftover curd will keep in the refrigerator for about a month once in is opened, just seal it with the lid that comes on the jar. You can use the remainder of the curd to mix in with buttercream, or a good family dessert is baked gingerbread (cake not house) served with the lemon curd heated till hot and poured over the slices of cake, and a dab of whipped cream on top, YUM! Or sliced angel food cake in place of the Gingerbread.

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

i dont think mousse would hold the fondant very well.

sandy5491 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy5491 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 2:36am
post #8 of 9

I'm comfused about the cream fillings. Do you cover the whole cake with the filling or between the layer of the cake. Use buttercream frosting then fondant over top.

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:21am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the replies. That is what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%