Freezing Decorated Cakes?

Decorating By jgclucas Updated 6 Jun 2005 , 3:44am by SquirrellyCakes

jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

A friend has asked me to decorate a cake for her son's third birthday. Her parents live close to me and could take the cake to her a couple of weeks before his birthday. If I decorate a cake with fondant and wrap it up well, can she freeze it for a couple of weeks?

6 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 2:40am
post #2 of 7

I have never frozen a cake decorated in fondant but maybe someone else can answer this?

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 2:43am
post #3 of 7

i made a 3d phone shaped cake covered in fondant with a fondant reciever ..they cancelled the party and made it for 2 weeks later.. i just threw the boxed cake in the freezer.. it was perfectly fine.. didnt sweat or anything

jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for the info! I really want to be able to do this for her, but don't have the time to travel there.

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 7

I'll be interested to see if this works as I hoping I can freeze the fondant covered cake(s) i'll be making for my daughters wedding. i just don't think its something i'll have time to do that week ( not to mention what my state of mind might be lol) let me know how freezing it turns out.

keri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keri Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 7

I made a few fondant lily pads for a frog cake and I wanted to see the result of freezing after decorated. I actually did not like the way it turned out once it came to room temp, it got really soft and did not hold it's shape very well. However, I did make fondant frogs and they turned out okay. Also, the lily pads that I did not put on the cake ahead of time turned out fine too. I think it just depends what part of the decoration is going to be fondant and if you are going to put the fondant pieces on the cake then freeze it ( I think that is when it becomes a problem). Good Luck. Let's us know the result.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:44am
post #7 of 7

Well, chocolate fondant refridgerates and freezes better than regular white rolled fondant. Personally I don't refridgerate or freeze it. It affects the sheen and I find, the texture. Most professionals wouldn't even refridgerate it let alone freeze it. The maximum period of time would be about 2 weeks, from what I have read and seen.
If I were you I would make up a small cake and test it out for the same timeframe and see what you think.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%