Wrestling Cake (Long Sorry!!)

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 5:58am by CherishShade

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:30am
post #1 of 21

Well I knew it would happen. Mom asked me if I'd make my nephews birthday cake. His party and birthday is next saturday. No notice at all (a week to plan and make the entire thing no time to practice no nothing). So I know I'm not gonna get paid already because I asked him if he wanted Mom-Mom to order him a cake for his party and she said "what do you mean order!?" and he said he wanted a wrestling ring cake. I was supposed to make one in March for his brother but we weren't asked to do that cake, hell we weren't even invited to the party for some reason lol (forgot so she says).....

Anyway she wants a 2 layer cake, half chocolate half yellow but instead of them being

Chocolate
___________ (filling)

Yellow

she wants

chocolateyellow
_____________(filling)
chocolateyellow

So yeah.. I can throw that together no problem but I'm coming here for ideas and tips on doing the ring and such. I had planned on printing out a picture of the WWE emblem thingie and doing a buttercream transfer of that or maybe do it in candy melts, not sure which would be better.

I planned to do the corner poles/turnbuckels - chocolate covered pretzel sticks (the little tiny ones) and use red shoe string licorice for the rope.

I've looked at the gallery for ideas and I'm seeing so many that used marshmallows instead of the pretzels and string (real string) for the ropes, one used dry spaghetti colored red for the ropes which I thought was just so freakin cool! lol So I'm wondering what yall think would be best on such short notice, with no time to practice, and no alone time during the day... (school let's out half a day for the summer on Monday icon_mad.gif ) so my 8 year old will be under foot the entire day everyday for the next two weeks lol. The party is Saturday the 16th and I want it to be perfect and special because his father's family is giving him a party at the bowling alley (costs start at $150.~ for just a small group of 5 so they are going all out on this one) and mom is just having the normal get together at the park like we always do... so since they have decided to give him a seperate party this year I doubt they will be at our party but I still want it special... long story short my nephews other grandmother (father's mom) and aunt (father's sister) attacked me and beat the crap outta me infront of the kids (10, 8, 3 1/2) and my daughter.... I decided not to hit them because they are both old and I respect my elders.... oh well now they have nothing to do with our family except the kids... ANYWAY!!!!! I need yalls help to make this perfectly special!!!

How can I do the side curtains? like the ring skirting... I'd love to be able to do that with candy melts.. I was thinking I could do wax paper on the back of a cookie sheet, spread out melted candy melts maybe 1/2 inch thick and after it's hardened JUST A LITTLE sticking dowel rods underneath to ripple the entire thing kinda like the real skirting is on the ring.....

Ok those are all my ideas and thoughts.... now for yalls help.... I'm really sorry this is so long but this is really special and really important.... Thanks in advance everyone! PICTURES ARE A HUGE HELP FOR ME!!!!

Becky

20 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:41am
post #2 of 21

curtains -- fondant/gumpaste -- much easier than trying to get folds in chocolate. could roll it out tomorrow and do the dowel thing and it'd be ready by Sat for sure (barring a major high humidity problem)

corners -- depends on scale of cake. could even be candy pop/cookie sticks covered in fondant -- tho pretzel logs would work.

I too like the red licorice idea, just getting it to stay stuck to chocolate might present a challenge, esp. if cake has to survive any time in the heat.

fondant for mat would allow you to use patterns to trace logo and do it as an inlaid piece.

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:48am
post #3 of 21

Thanks for the ideas Doug. I'm scared to death of Fondant... I've never touched it..never made it, never used it, never even tasted it lol... real or MMF lol.... which is why I was thinking the candy melts..

Heat and Humidity are big factors... it was over 100* yesterday and I've no idea what's it's going to be next weekend... it was in the 90's today and that's after a huge thunder storm came thru last night and supposedly brought a cold front lmao. You aren't that far from me in NC icon_wink.gif I'm in MD (hubby's exwife and kids lived in NC for a while she said it's not that far from here lol) so I'm sure you probably got the same heat and storms we did lol

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:53am
post #4 of 21

mmf is SO easy and fairly tasty too...esp. since you can flavor it most any way you want. think of it as a cross between play-do (color, moldability) and pie dough (how you roll it out, drape over stuff, tendency to stretch and sometimes tear, but repairable!)

and yep, A/C was running full out, no break from about noon until 8 pm just to keep my old house at 80 degrees!

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #5 of 21

Yeah we live in an older house too my dad who is 70 or 72 next month grew up in this house lol. I have one small window unit in the living room, a floor fan to pull it out into the room, a celing fan in the dining room, one in the kitchen, a floor fan in my daughter's room, and desk fan in my office, nothing in the bathroom or 3rd bedroom, and a window unit and large floor fan in my bedroom... it takes ALOT to keep us cooled off in this mess lol.

As for the MMF I was thinking of trying it for this, I may get dad to buy the stuff to make it tomorrow since he has to buy the stuff for the cake anyway since she isn't payin me lol. I may be PMing you for some advice lol

Anyone else on tonight other then me and Doug that cares to give some tips/advice/2 cents???

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 4:44am
post #6 of 21

Hi,

I recently did a wrestling cake for my nephew in april, It's not the best since it was one of my 'first' cakes..but it's to give you some ideas. I did the wwe logo, raw logo, smack down all in color flow, the center ring logo smack down vs raw I just ending up laminating and putting it on the cake (didn't have much time to make that out of color flow) and then I just used a hershey's bar for the steps. The rings are licorice with toothpicks stuck in the end of them to hold together, just make sure you tell the kids to be careful and take them out if they wanna eat them. I just picked up the mini wrestling people from toys r us for like $5.00, it was a set so I figured that and the cake would be part of his gift.

Good luck and like I said I'm sure yours will come out way better than mine!
LL

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 4:46am
post #7 of 21

Just wanted to add another view for you icon_smile.gif
LL

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 21

Thanks for the idea and the pics it looks great! icon_smile.gif I don't know how to do color flow... did I mention I've never taken the Wilton Courses yet.... can't afford them right now with gas prices being so high and the nearest class(es) being an hour or more either direction....

Anyone else have any ideas, tips, instructions, anything to help with this???

I made my daughter's stacked doll cake (in photos) all in one shot no practice or anything just followed a picture as a type of guide of what I wanted it to look like... so I'm sure I can pull this off in one shot as long as I have all the ideas mapped out ahead of time. icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 21

No one else has any ideas at all?????

I bought all the stuff today to make the MMF and I plan on making the rippled skirting that goes around the ring...

Anyone have any other helpful tips or hints?? This will be my first time making MMF and my second time doing a FBCT and I'm a little worried lol the last time I did it it didn't work at all! So any help or tips on that would be very helpful and I'd be very greatful!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 21

Have you thought about using an edible image for the logos like how Karabear1125 did hers in colorflow? Cheap, quick and easy, I get mine at my local grocery store and I hear you can get them at Wal-Mart/Target if yours has a bakery.
Good Luck!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:31am
post #11 of 21

So are the logos supposed to go on the curtains on the side like the pp's cake?? If so you could try either painting it on there with food color before you set it up to dry with the wrinkles. Or you could try good food color pens to draw it. My first thought was to do a Chocolate Transfer, since they will hang out on the side of the cake. But that would not flow with the curtains they way you are thinking. In my mind, I think you could do the curtains our of icing, if you are good at icing. Just ice you cake they way you normally would, then use the icer tip and put the color of the curtain around cake. You could use a dowel or a straw to make the icing wrinkle(flow) like a curtain. Just some thoughts off the top of my head. HTH some, and GL with your cake. I am sure it will turn out amazing!! Jen

OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 21

Well after much thought and much anger at my mother for not even batting an eye when I told her I figured out the price for the cake at $56.33 and she looked at Brendan (my 8 year old nephew whom the cake is for) and said "What do you say to Aunt Becky" I said "That's one very expencive birthday present Mom... he won't be getting anything else if I'm not getting paid for this cake" she said "how rude can you be! why even say anything in front of him and why do you think you should get paid for it your father already bought everything you need!" So I just left and came back home....

I've decided I'm going to do the "curtain" in chocolate buttercream died black (heard it's easier to dye chocolate black then white lol) and I'm going to take some thinned down colored icing and write Happy 8th Birthday on two sides and his name on the other two sides. I think it'll be more special for him to have his name in "lights" like the shows do lol. I'm going to ATTEMPT a FBCT thursday of the WW logo that goes in the middle. I'm not sure how that'll work out but I'm going to try it lol. I've decided the logo either needs a black circle around it so the WW in white shows on the "mat" or the mat needs to be a different color lol.... We had planned to make an exact replica of the ring they have (some toy that's a bounce ring for thier wrestlers) but the mat is white and the logo has a black background with white WW's and red swooshes.... the picture I have printed out (only one I could find) is a black square with a white WW and red swoosh so I'm going to attempt it lol... hopefully it'll work out. If not I'll use piping gel colors to do it and be done with it.

My mom has NEVER been supportive of me in this just says "you've finally found something you're good at" and that's it... never has paid me for any of the cakes she's ordered and me and hubby are so upset.... we've decided that this is it!!! No more freebies even for her... if she wants a cake she'll get a bill upfront before I buy anything and if she doesn't want to pay me for something fresh then she can go to the grocery store and pay for something that was baked weeks ago and frozen until her order was filled.... anyway.... thank you all for your help and suggestions with this and I'm sorry I bugged you all about the MMF deal.... I even bought 4 bags of mini marshmallows (only had 10 oz bags) to make it and then decided I wasn't going thru all that trouble and time and not getting paid for my time at all.... it's one thing that they bought all the stuff to do the cake I appreciate that but daddy buys his little girl anything she asks for anyway lol but Mom just refuses to pay me for a cake and I just don't get it..... Ok now I'm all upset and crying again so I'm gonna close now lol

Thank you all for your help! icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 21

Ok well I posted this on another thread of mine thinking it was this one lol... so here is the post I made the other day for those waiting to see lol

Well for all those who helped me with this.... here is the finished product! Delivered today to my nephews party and he LOVED it! He couldn't stop smiling and said it was wonderful! My mother who has always been a major downer... even said it looked great!

I ended up doing a 11x15" sheet cake, 2 layers 1/2 yellow and 1/2 chocolate each layer, w/regular butter cream icing filling, buttercream on top, chocolate buttercream dyed black on the sides, a frozen buttercream transfer on top, I also took large marshmallows and painted them with a water and Americolor Black mixture and let them dry, connected with toothpicks and inserted just before leaving for the party, wrapped red thread around them for the ropes. Added the wrestlers at the party because they wouldn't stay still lol. We stood them up, they wouldn't stay so we laid them down lol with foot prints behind them lmao.

I want to thank everyone that helped and I must say I got so mad at my mother that I wasn't going to go to the trouble of the MMF and candy melts as I planned at first and time wasn't on my side and we had so many issues with this cake.... The first cake I made ended up being so small/thin that I HAD to do a 2nd layer, (2 more cake mixes), the second layer cooled too much before I had a chance to smoosh it level and I ended up breaking the cake so badly that it fell apart when placed on top of the other layer. I patched it up and held it together with toothpicks while it slept in the freezer all night lol... This morning it stayed put long enough for me to crumb coat and ice without any issues. The cake even held up to the 20 mile trip to the party, and the high heats of about 90* and didn't cause me issues until we got home lol. I brought home half the cake as she didn't want the leftovers, and when I opened the box to cover with cling wrap the cake had just given out and fallen with the weight of the icing lol but I just smooshed it back on and said to heck with it. Anyway here are the pics. Thanks again for all yalls help!!!!
LL
LL

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #14 of 21

I think you did a great job. Love it.

Hoover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoover Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:18am
post #15 of 21

Awesome job! You did incredible work!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:01am
post #16 of 21

It came out great! I like the marshmallows!

OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 21

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:38am
post #18 of 21

thanks for posting this, i just got an order for a wrestling ring cake!!!

mochazina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochazina Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 2:46am
post #19 of 21

Azombie post!

I just got a wrestling cake order... thanks for all the contributions everyone. I think I'll use the marshmallow idea for the posts! :-)

mochazina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochazina Posted 11 Feb 2013 , 5:41pm
post #20 of 21

my update: the final product  icon_biggrin.gif

CherishShade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherishShade Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 5:58am
post #21 of 21

AI am also working on a wrestling cake for my nephew. I have been decorating for a few years (ice cream cakes at Carvel mainly...) recently I took the dive into baked cakes and its been fun. This is probaly the 15th "real cake" I have made. Will post picks of the finished project. Hope it comes out as great as yours did!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%