Wasc- Strawberry Variation?

Baking By JenniferL Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 4:36am by missmersh

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:02am
post #1 of 24

Has anyone tried a strawberry variation of the WASC recipe? I really like the sturdiness (not sure if that is the right word?) of the cake, but would like a berry flavor or even a lemon flavor. I would love any suggestions for one of these variations.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

23 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 5:15am
post #2 of 24

I wanted to try a raspberry WASC a few months ago, so I emailed Rebecca Sutterby (the creator of the WASC recipe ... her website is www.sugarcreations.com ... her cakes are absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!) and asked her what changes I should make to the recipe. Here's what she told me:

Use about 10 oz. of frozen raspberries per 2 boxes of cake mix. Thaw the berries in a strainer over a large bowl, and save all of the juice. Substitute all of the juice for some of the water (put the juice in a liquid measuring cup, and then just add water to get to the 2 2/3 cup mark). Mix in the berries right before you pour the batter in the pans.

The cake was absolutely fantastic! I put raspberry filling between the layers and iced the cake with cream cheese icing. Oh my gosh, it was to die for!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I'd say that you can use the same recipe variation for any kind of berry (strawberries, blueberries, cherries --- I know, not a berry, but ... icon_biggrin.gif ---) ... the possibilities are endless!!! Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferL Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:24am
post #3 of 24

Wow! That is really helpful! I can't wait to try it.

cakesbyjess Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:29am
post #4 of 24

Good luck! I'd love to hear how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:41am
post #5 of 24

I love the WASC cake recipe in all its variations:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Thus far, beside the basic almond - my favorite is orange using DH orange cake mix and orange extract. icon_smile.gif

edited to add:

cakesbyjess, did you notice a significant loss in the baked cake's volume when using the berries in batter variation. (Or did you compensate by using more batter in your pans.)

Also meant to say, how cool to communicate with Rebecca. icon_cool.gif Wonder if she realizes how popular her recipe is. thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:43am
post #6 of 24

Thanks for that great link, Jan!! I am anxious to try some of those variations!! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferL Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 24

JanH- With what do you frost your orange cake?

Those variations sound really good.

JanH Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:11am
post #8 of 24

Well, I usually frost with Rich's Bettercreme (my DH's favorite) so it tastes like a creamsicle. icon_smile.gif(IMHO.)

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:47am
post #9 of 24

I have tried several times to find Rich's Bettercreme recipe and I can't find it...can you share the recipe with me PUH-LEEEEEEEZE!!!!

JanH Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:58am
post #10 of 24

Rich's Bettercreme and Pastry Pride are both commercially produced, non-dairy icings used by mass merchandisers like Wal-Mart and Costco.

Here's a comprehensive thread on both:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2853853-.html

HTH

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 24

I wanted to try the strawberry variation of WASC. This one says to add Jello pudding for some of the sugar????

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?s=116da7d23fe5dd803412f55e888c97ce&showtopic=948&pid=18388&st=0&

At first I thought it said Jello gelatin, then I just reread it and it says pudding, which confused me. Anyway has anyone tried this? Which is better, the one listed in this thread or the Jello/pudding one? If you tried the one from Baking 911, is it gelatin or pudding???

JenniferL Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 24

I ended up making this using by using the WASC recipe and mixing a box of strawberry Jello gelatin into the water. I left out the strawberry juice from the original variation so it wouldn't be too sweet and pureed the berries before adding them. Strawberry jello is in my favorite strawberry cake recipe so I wanted to add it to the WASC recipe. (The WASC recipe cuts better.) Everyone really liked it and it made it alot pinker than that just adding strawberries and strawberry juice. I hope this makes sense.

HTH!
Jennifer

alanahodgson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 24

thanks for the info. Does the gelatin change the texture of the cake? I just made WASC for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved the dense texture.

JenniferL Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 24

I didn't notice a difference in the texture. It just enhanced the strawberry flavor. My only problem is that everybody wants strawberry cake now! LOL!

alanahodgson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 24

Well, that doesn't sound so bad to me. icon_smile.gif Allrighty!! I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for you help!!

JenniferL Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 24

I hope it works for ya! thumbs_up.gif I forgot to say that I used a large box of jello for the full WASC recipe.

alanahodgson Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:25am
post #17 of 24

I was all set to give it a shot. My oven was preheating, my pans were prepped, I pureed some berries (wanted to try fresh) and dumped my cake mix into the bowl. I went to grab that box of strawberry jello I knew was in my pantry and...it turned out to be raspberry. So I debated. Try the raspberry? Move forward with just the berries? I figured b/c their fresh rather than frozen it probably wasnt't going to be enough flavor and I didn't want to mix the raspberry jello with the strawberries. I'm home alone with my three kids in bed so theirs no late trips to the grocery store for me. I'll have to wait till tomorrow. icon_sad.gif

JenniferL Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:19am
post #18 of 24

That stinks! I hate when you go to grab that ingredient that you know is there and it's not. icon_sad.gif I would love to hear how it turns out!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Use about 10 oz. of frozen raspberries per 2 boxes of cake mix.

Jessica, do you use sweetened or unsweetened berries?

cakesbyjess Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:20am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollielor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Use about 10 oz. of frozen raspberries per 2 boxes of cake mix.

Jessica, do you use sweetened or unsweetened berries?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. icon_sad.gif I use unsweetened berries. I'm sure it would work fine with sweetened berries, too.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:57am
post #21 of 24

Thank you for all the great ideas!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 8:22am
post #22 of 24

Can't wait to try these!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:54pm
post #23 of 24

I can't wait to try the WASC with strawberries. It seems as though every strawberry cake recipe that I've tried so far sinks in the middle. I've tried the CMD's twice & both times, it sank. I think there's too much sugar in the recipe. I guess that's part of trial & error. Hopefully, this recipe will work out great & the search will be over.
thanks

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:36am
post #24 of 24

I am so glad I found this post. I tried the WASC recipe on Thursday and needed it to be strawberry cake. I didn't know how much strawberry juice to add, cause it didn't say how much in the recipe. I added 2 ten ounce pkgs strawberries and juice. I didn't like the effect adding the strawberries had on it and I think I added WAY too much juice and it turned out 'soggy' feeling to me. Also, I think it was because I used walmart brand strawberries and it made the cake taste like play dough to me. I also added a package of Strawberry jello to help it look more pink and add more strawberry flavor. I was unhappy all the way around with the results, so, I ended up dumping all the cakes in the trash.
I am anxious to make it again without altering it and see if I can do a better job.

Do you think Strawberry cake mix could be substituted for the white cake mix?? That is what it says to do for chocolate...so I would think you would do it for strawberry too???
Has anyone used this recipe to create yellow cake? I don't particularly like yellow cake, but recently I am getting TONS of requests for it.

Thank you for asking the creator about the quantity of berries to add.

Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%