Meringue Powder Help!

Decorating By Angellcakes Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm by Wendoger

Angellcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angellcakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 3

Can meringue powder go bad or does it always have a whang to it? I made Alice's Cookie Icing a few weeks ago and it was horrible. The after taste was even worse. I threw the entire batch of cookies out. icon_cry.gif

So many people said they loved it, so I thought it might be the brand of powdered sugar I used. After some experimenting, I found it is the Wilton meringue powder.

I made some of the icing this afternoon and used only 2 TBS of the meringue powder as opposed to the 3 TBS the recipe calls for. It is just starting to having that dreaded after taste. I'm hoping I am only getting a hint of it because I am aware of it.

I haven't decorated the cookies yet. Do you think the smaller amount of meringue powder is going to make a big difference? Has anyone done this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 3

I havn't had mine go bad, but havn't had it around too long...maybe a year. I think that you can keep it in the fridge? to help keep it fresh!

Stephanie

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 3

I dont know that much about the stuff but I know the 'whang' your talkin' about...I have tasted it in my bc before...yuck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%