Cake From He@#.......long- Sorry

Decorating By kerri729 Updated 9 Jun 2007 , 3:58am by indydebi

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 6

OK, I think this one was meant to trouble me from the start.....I had posted in one of the other forums about my daughter's 5th grade graduation.........I volunteered to donate a cake with an edible photo of the class, and another lady also volunteered to donate a cake.....the school left it up to me to find out how much and what kind she was making, so flavors and servings could be coordinated........left message after message, no response from her. So, I sent the school a note stating I was making a two tiered cake for about 95-100 people, and that if she had decided to back out, I could make more (they were expecting 175 people). In talking to the teacher on Monday, she stated that the other lady didn't know I was making a cake, and she had already started the cake for 200 people! This graduation was last night (Thursday), and here is how my week played out.......Sunday, I baked the bottom tier, 2 layers of chocolate.......Monday night, before ball practice I baked the top, 2 layer tier (white), and took it out of the oven when I left for ball practice....one of the two layers fell in the middle and was not done, so went into the trash...Tuesday morning at 5:30 am, I am baking the layer of white I need.........did I mention I work a full time job (50 hours/week) too? Took out of oven and it turned out beautifully. Tuesday evening, had two ball games, no time to even look at cakes.....Wednesday morning I took cakes out of freezer and left wrapped on counter to thaw all day.......Wednesday evening started mixing BC........using the new Crisco for the first time........grrr.....it had clumps and lots of them, so I beat the next few batches longer, then of course, I had air bubbles! So, trying to save time, I put my 10 inch on my small turntable, the 14" on a taller cake stand that I use and rotate by hand.........iced the 10 inch and slid a bit away from the big tier, started to smooth the 14 inch, and tipped the stand, big tier slid into the little tier (which was crusted), and icing came off each of the cakes where they collided! So, I reiced the patch on the 10", and set it no where near the 14", then reiced the big one. I walked away, and started to make supper for my hubby, ate, then decided to make the decorations yesterday (Thurs) afternoon, since the night didn't go well..........so as I removed the 10" from the counter, I jammed two fingers right into the bc.........so had to repair again. Went to bed, decided to definitely give up for the night. Went to work on Thurs. morning........got off work early to finish decorating........got home, took the cakes from the boxes, and the icing on the sides where I had to patch them had pulled away from the cake and buckled.......I touched them up as best as I could, then took my edible photo from the package to put onto the top tier, and it was so humid that it was stuck to the back.......so I thought I would stick in the microwave for a few seconds.......then the edges started to shrivel, so I peeled it off, placed on the cake, tried to smooth as best as I could and decided to cover the edges with a border. This graduation was to start at 5:30.......then the power went out.......I sat down and cried, then called my sister for moral support. She came over to give me her assessment, and said everything looked fine. I finished the MMF decorations, boxed it up, and loaded into the car........looked at the clock in the car, because the house power was still out, and it was 5:05.......UGHHH- did I mention that I was to sing at the graduation mass too? So, rushed to the banquet hall, set up cake in about two minutes, on a small table next to the other (3 tiered, lacy, flowered looking cake, which was leaning) and wanted to do a bottom border on the top tier of my cake, and then my sister drug me out of there.........she said it was fine.....we did snap a couple of pics. Got to church shaking like a leaf at about 5:20..........no time to rehearse, luckily I knew what I was singing.......showed my daughter the pic of the cake on the camera, and she loved it........that was all I needed to hear, then I was fine. Everything went well, everyone loved both cakes, although I did overhear some people state how dry the other cake was, and how wonderful mine was.........the cake did not turn out as I had envisioned, but no one else knew what was in my mind, so I guess all was good! Wow, this is long, I will shut up.........the cake is in my photos..........

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 6

Some days are like that....The cake looks very cute.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:19am
post #3 of 6

Bad day - great cake! You did a great job!

cakesbydana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydana Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:35am
post #4 of 6

I held my breath until the end! LOL So glad this turned out well for you. The cake looks great!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:46am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbydana

I held my breath until the end! LOL So glad this turned out well for you. The cake looks great!

I did the same thing and didn't realize it until I read the line that said "my daughter loved it"

I am so glad everything worked out for you. I have had cakes like that and it is not a fun experience /HUG

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:58am
post #6 of 6

I burst out laughing when I got to the part where you poked your fingers in the bc. icon_lol.gif Man, I HATE that when I do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%