Semi-Homemade W/sandra Lee

Decorating By jennianne Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 4:09pm by debbie2881

jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 82

Did any of you catch "Semi-homemade with Sandra Lee" yesterday? She made 'easy' party cakes. The one that really got me was a fondant covered gift package cake. She PROMOTED using this great already made fondant you can pick up at the craft store...WILTON'S! She went on and on how simple it is to use and the colors available and how pretty the cakes turn out...all true. But...she failed to mention it tastes like Play-doh!!!!! It is very hard for me to convince people that there are yummy fondant icings I can put on a cake that don't taste like crap...I don't need someone suggesting using that stuff just for them to think that fondant is not good!!!!!

81 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 82

Sandra Lee is a hack at best! icon_lol.gif We had a thread awhile back dissing her and I have to admit it was alot of fun!

Have you tried the marshamallow fondant recipe on here. It's not too bad and I actually enjoy playing with it. Never thought I would like fondant on cakes but this one isn't too bad.

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 82

Sandra Lee freaks me out!! I realize it's just a TV show, but she said she actually redecorates her entire kitchen for each season and/or holiday. Who can afford to do that?

And by the way...pull your hair back and take off that fingernail polish and cover your boobs!!I want to see the food, not down your shirt.

Remember when Debbies Fields had a show on TV? Her hair was always huge and hanging in front of her shoulders and her nails were so long and red. Drove me batty!! icon_mad.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersmom

And by the way...pull your hair back and take off that fingernail polish and cover your boobs!!I want to see the food, not down your shirt.

AMEN to that!! I cant stand her! She does that finger tasting thing where she licks her food covered finger and then DOESNT WASH HER HANDS afterwards!

Someone find me a puking smiley!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:52am
post #5 of 82

Bah! Good one Monstersmom! That's what I think about Giada DeLaurentiis, too. Cover the boobage, ladies before you get tagged Food Network Floosies. Hate to be catty here..... yeah, Debbie Fields and the big hair and always red nails--yeah, you bake alot.

Puppylove: ---> Image how's this one? icon_lol.gif

SweetThistleCakes Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:45am
post #6 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

Puppylove: ---> Image how's this one? icon_lol.gif

Perfect! Cakes47 sent me one, but I couldnt get it to work.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:19am
post #7 of 82

Well, believe it or not, there are some people out there who like Wilton fondant, and I have sold them some cake. icon_biggrin.gif No, it's not for everybody, but I use it, and it's good to some, including me and my kids. I add a little vanilla or other flavoring to it, but it's good to me.

As for Sandra Lee, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is out on her. I watched her show for the first time today, and I'm thinking. icon_rolleyes.gif This was not the show you alluded to, with the cake, it was one with artichoke rolls and beef tips and orange cheesecake. I don't know, I don't like a lot of prepared foods, but am thinking about trying some of those things, dressing some stuff up a little. Would be easier in the kitchen......... like i said, the jury is out at my house........

So........ different strokes for different folks, huh? icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:27am
post #8 of 82

I have to agree with Zamode on the Giada DeLaurentis comments and Sandra Lee has always kind of bothered me (and yes, I noticed her perpetually re-decorated kitchen which is weird too). Although, hey, I don't have a show on the Food Network so who am I to criticize? I really like Rachael Ray and her 30 Minute Meals show. She seems like someone who is genuinely nice and "regular". But it would take me WAY longer than 30 minutes to make what she does.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:33am
post #9 of 82

Sandra Lee is NOT a cook! Her recipes are supposed to be 70/30 store-bought/homemade, but it all looks store-bought to me. There's a web site that blasts her and points out all her horrors; it's almost as addictive as this site! Go to televisionwithoutpity.com and check it out. My rule of thumb is: If she makes it, I won't have anything to do with that recipe! My kitchen-phobic 20-year old daughter does much better!

Zamode Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:38am
post #10 of 82

Actually I used to work with a woman who changed some of her rooms for the seasons....yes, she had money and was a bit of a snob to boot and in her case, her house was more of a showpiece with a roof rather than a home.

Sandra Lee is more tuned for people who don't have time or don't have culinary skills and I'm sure it works for some, not everyone likes her or her ways. She drives me nuts with her repetitive phrase, "then, all you're gonna do....." Ugh!

Giada sometimes reminds me of that band camp chick in American Pie: "and then, one time, at culinary school....."

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:43am
post #11 of 82

Sandra Lee creeps me out, as does DeLaurentis (her head seems too big or her shoulders too narrow, or something, and my goodness those TEETH)
I like Rachael Ray OK enough but she's like chef on speed and my DH thinks she has man-hands icon_surprised.gif
Personally my fave is Paula Deen and if she were my next door neighbor, she'd have a restraining order out on me..."where's Liz?"...."Oh she's over at Paula's again"

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:55am
post #12 of 82

Ooh.... the Italian Princess really gets to me as well.... her smile reminds me of a neighbor (that we call Squiggly for some reason) that I have issues with..... that and my husband just can't stand the woman!

Sandra Lee is okay in small doses, kind of like Emeril. I like him is small doses

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:30am
post #13 of 82

Oh, I gotta take up for my girl Giada. Granted, she is a living bobble head doll but I love her food! Her recipes are fantastic and have always turned out great for me.

Funny thing about Sandra Lee is her ex or soon to be ex-husband is the king of manufactured housing so no wonder she's all about pre-fab stuff. I used to say I cooked semi-homemade because I doctored up everything that I don't make from scratch but after I watched her show I've never said it again since my cooking and hers are waaaaaay different! icon_smile.gif

debsuewoo will agree with me-nobody compares to our man Alton! Love him! they are having an Alton special coming up but I don't remember when they said!

Zamode Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:33am
post #14 of 82

Alton's background makes his show very entertaining to watch, visually.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:44am
post #15 of 82

I had always thought alot of what Sandra Lee did on the show was a bit of fluff, but she comes up with some good things sometimes. I looked at her cookbook at B & N and it had some yummy looking things in it. I am all for time-saving recipes...with 3 young children and a blossoming cake-decorating passion, I am all for anything that keeps me out of the kitchen at mealtimes!
And I have to say, as I said in the last thread...my friend met Sandra Lee at a photo shoot for her new kids cooking book..she said Sandra was the nicest, most genuine person ever and treated her child like a real person. So she's okay in my book icon_smile.gif
And I'm not going to hold it against her that's she's gorgeous and thin!! icon_smile.gif
Cindy

missybase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missybase Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:13pm
post #16 of 82

I was at the library yesterday browsing through the cookbook/baking section, and I picked up her semi-homemade baking book. I was skimming through it when I came across a recipe for a body powder that she says you should dust across your chest and shoulders (and especially your cleavage) and it will be sparkly and make you smell good. What is in it, you might wonder? 2 Tbsp powdered sugar and 10 red pixy stix. Yup, the woman thinks you should cover yourself in candy----eeeeek!

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:17pm
post #17 of 82

lets hope you don't have flies where you live . jeesh thats kind of wierd. she must of drank one too many of her martinis.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 82

I'd worry about misquitoes with sugar on you, that and bees. icon_lol.gif Was that a perfume guide for children? The only people I can think of who would find that scent attractive on another person would be a little kid "hey you got any more?" She's been drinking WAY too much. icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:20pm
post #19 of 82

The food color in the Pixie Stix is going to stain your skin, so maybe that's where the glow comes from.

I can see it now, I'd break into a sweat and walk around the rest of the day looking like someone melted cotton candy on me! LOL!

Definitely Tee Martoonis!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:45pm
post #20 of 82

Oh, boy, Sandra does have some annyoing things but sometimes you do get some ideas from her as well. Like my pastor says at church, keep the good stuff and toss out the bad... icon_biggrin.gif

Sandra can be annyoing with her phrases like "Just like that...", or "This will be the best tasting thing you've ever made" (as if), and her opening line of "I've been cooking and entertaining for years...."

I am sure I am forgetting a lot more, but these are the ones I remember...

Again, like some of you say, you can only take it in small doses. I can't stand Emeril not even a second and Molto Mario either.

I do like Giada De laurentiis. She makes a lot of pasta, which I don't eat much of, but she sometimes makes this thinks that I like, like:

Frittatas
Chicken wrap (filling spinach, prosciuotto, cheese) Yummy!
Desserts

amongst a few other things. She drives me a little crazy with her hand movements, but I guess Italians "talk" a lot with their hands.

icon_wink.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 82
Quote:
Quote:

Sandra can be annyoing with her phrases like "Just like that...", or "This will be the best tasting thing you've ever made" (as if)

One of my favoties is this one: "Isn't this the most delicious thing you've ever seen?" erm...well...

Her show is a mystery. She has a redecorated kitchen (complete with different colored KitchenAids!) and new "tablescape" (complete with new dishes!) for every meal, but can't be bothered to make fresh whipped cream rather than open a tub of cool whip.

SweetThistleCakes Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #22 of 82

Shamdra is making a wedding cake today! "It's just so easy!" icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:10pm
post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyloveconfections

Shamdra is making a wedding cake today! "It's just so easy!" icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

icon_eek.gif you have GOT to be kidding! **turning on the food network now **
I cant stand this woman ... about the only thing she actually makes (in my opinion) is the alcohol, and boy does she like her alcohol!

aliciaL_77 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:13pm
post #24 of 82

we should count how many times in a show she says "just like that" , "a quick stir", and "its SO easy" lol

DelightsByE Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:30pm
post #25 of 82

OH MY GOD

not one mention about dowelling!!!!!!!!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:31pm
post #26 of 82

Yes, I have seen this one before.... She didn't cover the cake boards with anything.... Oh, well.... icon_surprised.gif

I do like the grapes idea though... to dust them with powdered sugar and they look like they are frosted...

DelightsByE Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:32pm
post #27 of 82

I will admit - I am a little intrigued about champagne flavoring.......

but oh my heavens, white grape juice in a lemon cake mix??? I'm all for doctoring but I can't even begin to imagine what that must taste like. EEW.

aliciaL_77 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:45pm
post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

OH MY GOD

Just to further my suspicion about her not really making these things: the recipe on the foodtv.com does mention doweling etc....

and is it just me or does 3 cake mixes just not seem like it would do all that cake?

MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 5:38pm
post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaL_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

OH MY GOD

and is it just me or does 3 cake mixes just not seem like it would do all that cake?

While she was filling and icing the little one, she mentioned how many cake mixes it would take to make the bigger one, smaller one, and so on.

I think she said that for the big one she used 6 boxes of cake mix.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 5:51pm
post #30 of 82

Okay, Y'all!

Sandra Lee just plain skeeves me out. Her WORST cake faux pas I've seen:

"Ocean Cake!" (I swar! She called it an "Ocean Cake")

It was on her beach episode. She takes a sponge cake from the store, stuffs the big marshmallows into the hole part to level the top, tints 2 cans of frosting light blue, smears it on the cake, and TOPS IT OFF WITH GUMMI OCTOPI (octopus plural?)!!!

And what is it with her and the marshmallow-stuffing-in-the-spongecake-thing anyway? She does it ALL DAY LONG on her show. Gee...wonder what Sandra's having for dessert today? Why, SPONGECAKE of course! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%