Cake Fillings?

Baking By cakerlady Updated 12 Aug 2006 , 10:59pm by CakeDiva73

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:03pm
post #31 of 41

Hey everyone. Alright, I finally did get a response from Kraft concerning refrigeration of CoolWhip. I explained to them that I wanted to use the CoolWhip as an ingredient for a filling and asked if the filling could be left out for a few days or if it had to be refrigerated. Their response was:

Return recipe to refrigerator IMMEDIATELY after serving/using

Keep in refrigerator under normal refrigerator temperatures of 40 degrees at ALL times

I did a little experiment with the CoolWhip that I had in my refrigerator. I left it out overnight and the next day, it had turned yellowish and very runny. I can't imagine a filling using the Coolwhip would last in a filling without being refrigerated. Anyway, that's the latest word from Kraft.

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:28am
post #32 of 41

Just adding my two cents about the cream cheese being left out. Until I joined this website, I never heard that cream cheese frosting had to be refrigerated. as long as i can remeber , everyone i know has always left their red velvet cakes out of the fridge (& we make a lot of red velvets in s. ga). I still do & no one's ever got sick. I;ve always refrigerated cool whip, though.

surferchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surferchic Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:14pm
post #33 of 41

I would love to get that recipe, Pat! It sounds divine. Thanks for offering.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #34 of 41

remember, leaving certain ingredients out by themselves is completley different then when they are mixed with other ingredients. sugar acts as a perservative. as for cream cheese, it is ultra-pasterized, which means it has a longer shelf-life. you can safely leave it out, i do it all the time. of course, you want to make sure its at room temperature and not a hot area. i've never tried the cool whip recipe, not a big fan of their product. i remember reading the ingredients once and seeing oil? at any rate, i'm not suprised they said it needs to be refriderated. they're a big company and need to cover their backs. [/i]

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

remember, leaving certain ingredients out by themselves is completley different then when they are mixed with other ingredients. sugar acts as a perservative.

Little factoid here: Liquid honey will not spoil and is (used as) a natural preservative. Literally nothing in the organism realm, and eg yeasts can multiply. I use honey a lot in baking - and it IS, like sugar, good as a natural preservative (In Ancient Egypt rich people used honey for embalming their dad icon_cool.gif - I don't know about sugar, but I know the pH level of honey is quite acidic- which is an environment that prevents growth of bacteria.

Re refrigeration or not with cream cheese and other ingredients- I guess the quest continues to find fillings that can withstand 100 degree outdoor temperatures. LOL

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 3:37pm
post #36 of 41

i've heard that about honey being a perservative, however, i'm deathly allergic, so i never used it. afterall, i have to sample all my baked goods!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 3:42pm
post #37 of 41

lol...oceanspitfire...embalmbing their "dad" or their "dead"? I know what you meant, I just did a doubletake and giggled. Yes, honey is a great preservative, but like anything,you have to watch out for allergies.
Someone mentioned using marzipan as a filler in cakes where she tests a piece, and marzipan is almond paste, right? Many people are allergic to tree nuts (my son included). Tree nuts not the same as peanuts.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:31am
post #38 of 41

Looking for a chocolate mousse for a filling in a white cake that would be ok for a pregnant sister in-laws shower. Any good white cake recipes? Thank you.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 4:51am
post #39 of 41

Heres a bump!

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 12:07pm
post #40 of 41

You could use ganache (whipped up) and it can be as chocolaty as you want - no nuts involved except maybe the ones Making it(?) icon_lol.gif Seriously tho, there's a thread on here about ganache that seems to be what you're looking for. I'm goning to try the glaze part this weekend - if you use the whipped, maybe we can exchange notes..

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 10:59pm
post #41 of 41

My favorite and the one that is most requested is a small box of French Vanilla pudding, 1 1/2c whole milk, 1/2 tsp. powdered vanilla and 1 tsp. real vanilla then mix.....it really tastes like custard and I have no idea why, but it even has that very slight 'eggy' taste that distinguishes it from pudding. Not a nasty eggy taste but there is something about this combo that tastes just like, if not better, then my time-consuming custard recipe.

I used to make homemade custard on the stove but I burnt a batch and had to whip something up at the last minute and this is what I came up with. I have been making it ever since. Simple but soooo scrumpy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%