mami2sweeties Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 1:53pm
post #1 of

I have read recipes here. I was wondering if this rolled buttercream is the same idea as fondant? I get that from the recipe I saw here. why would some one used rolled buttercream instead of fondant? Is there really that much difference?

Also, one more question. non-crusting buttercream is like canned icing right? It stays soft because it is made with all butter. A crusting butter cream dries some so that it can be smoothed once a thin layer of crusting is dried.

Thanks,
mami2sweeties

9 replies
CIndymm4 Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 1:18pm
post #2 of

From what I understand, haven't made any personally, but the rolled buttercream tastes more like regular BC but has the look of fondant. Maybe somone else has some experience with this subject.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 9:22pm
post #3 of

I just bought a book on how to make rolled buttercream. I haven't make it yet but the book says it taste like candy corn. Its suppose to work just like fondant and taste better.

charman Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 1:35am
post #4 of

Care to share the recipe, or the title of the book. I like the look of fondant, but can't stand the taste of it.

kimh Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 6:53pm
post #5 of

Carrie,

Do you remember the cake that I made for the twins shower of the baby. I used rolled buttercream for this and I thought it tasted much better. In fact Jordan kept eating the extra pieces they tasted like candy. I will hunt down the recipe and get it to you.

Kim

diane Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 7:38pm
post #6 of

i've never tried it so if you don't mind, please post it so we all can see. icon_lol.gif

melissa38 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 7:52pm
post #7 of

I would like to have the recipe for the rolled bc as well. Thanks Kim

Melissa

Calejo Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 8:18pm
post #8 of

I haven't tried it either, but here's the recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-193-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

I have tried Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) and that tastes like circus peanuts (the old orange candy, not the salted ones you feed the elephants icon_razz.gificon_rolleyes.gif ), so it sounds about the same as that, right?

AgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 1:53am
post #9 of

The title of the book is "Decorating with Rolled Buttercream Icing". The author is by Marsha Winbeckler. The recipe is the same one that Calejo posted.

It's a good book so far. It gives you instructions on add color to the icing, preparing the cake, covering the cake, smoothing, crimping, etc.

kimh Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 11:36am

I used the same one as Calejo posted. It was really good!!

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%