Shaping A Cake

Decorating By ladycrim Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm by mmgiles

ladycrim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycrim Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a 3-tier cake for a 10th anniversary party this weekend. The idea is to make a winding path (out of candy rocks) going up a hill, ending at the top of the cake.

I'd like to shape each tier so the effect is more hill-like and less like three stacked cakes. I'm already planning on stacking the tiers off-center to make it look more like a winding hill, but I'd like to slope the sides a bit, as well.

Thing is, I have never shaped a cake before - and once I cut it, there's no going back if I make a mistake. So I'm a bit nervous!

Any suggestions for how I can carefully shape this cake without ruining it? What about the filling? (Each tier is 2 layers.) How do I keep it from flowing out once I slice the sides?

All advice is appreciated! Thank you!

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 3

Unless you are just filling with buttercream, you will need to cut the cake then fill it using an icing dam. As for carving it, a bread knife (large serrated knife) works best. Don't just hack at the cake. Cut a thin layer off at a time (more like shaving than cutting) as it's easier to trim more than to add back on with cake + icing "spackle". And don't forget to post pics when you're done! Sounds like its going to be a really great cake!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 3

I did this last weekend but wasnt really happy with the results. I was trying to copy a cake I found on here. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=94878
I am not really sure how to get it so that the edge looked like the wonderful cake I was trying to copy. But I used a thin bladed sharp knife and made a tiny cut in the top of each tier to shape it, then i pushed the knife through at an angle and cut along that first line. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%