How Many Of You Are Actually Legal?

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 2:34pm by yukisaru

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 64

I've read lots of posts on here about people who do cake orders and accept money for cakes they make. I wondering, for those of you who make and sell cakes to others, are you legal (meaning that you have your own store front or bake your cakes in a licensed kitchen) or do you make your cakes without any licenses?

The reason that I ask is because I would really like to accept money for my cakes (even as a side business), but legally I can't do so unless I have my own store front or do my baking in a legal kitchen. Doing so would cost more money then I am able to spend at the moment. I know I could still sell cakes without a license, but the risks seem too high, especially if someone were to get sick or someone wanted to blow the whislte on me. Just curious how many of you that sell cakes are indeed legalized to do so. Thanks.

63 replies
jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 64

Legal - It's like they say in jail, "I'm not guilty, I've been framed!"

I declare the 5th!

erinkalins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinkalins Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 64

Dont ask, dont tell right? icon_wink.gif

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 64

SHHHH.... icon_cool.gificon_twisted.giftapedshut.gif

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 64

You got it Erinkalins

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 64

I'm in Ohio, and as long as it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge, and I label correctly, I don't need a license.

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 64

SHHH...NO ONE SAW ANYTHING

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 64

I have heard that you can use a church kitchen to make cakes, I have had a few offers from friends but I do not advertise or publicly promote my cakes. A few may be ok but if you are doing more I would look in to talking to the restaurants in your area about leasing space from time to time when you get an order or even offering to combine your skills with a company that caters but does not do cakes for space to work in and a small profit. That is all I can think of, hope it helps.

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 64

tapedshut.gif ...legal? what is that?!!! icon_lol.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 64

Unfortunately I can not afford rent on a commercial kitchen right now and I can not build one as an addition to my house because of my HOA!!! Soooooo, all my cakes are done by word of mouth. I DO NOT advertise!!!!!!!!! I made a cake for free a few years ago for someone at my husband's work and they liked it so much that they wanted another one for another occasion and insisted on paying me for it because I obviously put a lot of work into it!!!!! Sooooo, since then I have been recommended by word of mouth! My in-laws have also asked for me to make cakes for their work and that has also spawned word of mouth orders! Everyone that inquires about cakes knows up front that I am NOT A BUSINESS!!!!! No one has been bothered by it at all and I have never had an issue of any kind.

It's all in who you know and it can take off from there!!! How else do you get a clientele to even spawn a business!

Good luck!

Amy

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 64

Haha...I'm glad this is a cake forum. If it was anything else, and someone asked how many users were legal on a site, I'd think something else...lol.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by marj

tapedshut.gif ...legal? what is that?!!! icon_lol.gif

YOU'RE FUNNY!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KakesandKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesandKids Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 64

I'm 100% legal and it was hard work to get that way!

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 64

Don't look at it as selling cakes...look at it as being reimbursed for the supplies. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though, if you're worried about food safety, you could take a sanitation class and get your certificate. At least you'd feel more comfortable about the steps you take to ensure no one gets sick. I got my certificate last fall and learned a whole lot I didn't know about running a safe kitchen.

Mickig icon_biggrin.gif

yukisaru Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 64

icon_surprised.gif lol I did think something else icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

emereldas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emereldas Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 64

You are kidding arent you..What kind of question is that to ask?

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 64

I am just now cracking open what seems like Pandora's Box to find out about getting legal here in Texas.

A friend of mine owns a dance studio and is constantly urging me to have some business cards made and make a copy of my cake album to display in her studio so all the parents can see it and maybe it would generate some orders for me. She also urges me to run an add in the local paper but I'm way too afraid to do something like that. I know my friend's heart is in the right place for wanting to help me out (she and my mother are my biggest fans of course) but I tell her all the time that as soon as I advertise and get an order it would be from the wrong customer who is having a bad day.

Most of the time I just do cakes for cost. People like to just give me the $ to take care of the cake and take a load off their minds. I figure it's a way of practicing for when I do become legal and take the cake world by storm!! icon_lol.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:02pm
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by emereldas

You are kidding arent you..What kind of question is that to ask?

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

KakesandKids Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:07pm
post #19 of 64

Bakingupastorm....it is hard to get legal in TX and costly!! U r right to be careful because all it does take is 1 bad customer or an angry competitor. I would be scared to death.

When I spoke to the folks at the health dept, they said you can't make anything for money not even for cost of supplies. Accepting money or compensation makes them consider you a business whether you call yourself one or not.

yukisaru Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:18pm
post #20 of 64

There are a few different ones that could be thought; I think we should leave what to your imagination. icon_wink.gif

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:18pm
post #21 of 64

Yikes!! Thanks for the heads up KakesandKids!! Looks like my work will continue to be for close family and friends only!! My lips will be sealed even tighter from now on!!shhh.giftapedshut.gif

I wish I could afford to do all of my cakes as "gifts" but I simply can't.

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:20pm
post #22 of 64

tnx cake mommy...actually i am legal, in my dreams! lol..in reality, next question please!!! icon_lol.gif

Chauntelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chauntelle Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:24pm
post #23 of 64

I agree that it would probably be better to have a licencse and put the money into it, but until that is my sole source of income and I am making enough to afford that, I guess it is just going to have to be for friends and family as well because there is no way I could afford to put that kind of money into a sidejob.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:25pm
post #24 of 64

Here you can sell cakes all you want but all the good money is being licensed. Also you cannot do cakes for a venue that requires a licensed cakes.
It is an exclusion--------
to those not regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing and selling food and who prepare food only on order of and for sale directly to the ultimate consumer

KakesandKids Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 64

It is also my side income. It would be so hard to have to rely on cake income to pay they bills!! Work is too unpredictable, and all the fun and enjoyment would be gone if the stress of having to make cakes was there.

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:29pm
post #26 of 64

I thought I was going to be legal when they were trying to put a bill through here in GA for bakers who sell at festivals and such, no such luck. judge.gif Now, I just hope and pray... shhh.gif

KakesandKids Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:30pm
post #27 of 64

I thought in Georgia you could bake from home if you sold under $10,000 per year? Let me see if I can find the link where I read that.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:42pm
post #28 of 64

Ummmm. Uhhhhh. Whoa! Beavis! She said, "legal!"

I've been with the dep't for 18 years, and I've never heard of anyone getting "busted" for decorating/selling their cakes.

--Knox--

yukisaru Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm
post #29 of 64

It is so wrong, most people need to be legal to sell cakes (even for cost) but you need money to be legal. Not a lot of people have money coming out of there tapedshut.gif and have to ability to jump in like that from the beginning. I miss the old days.... I know I never lived in them but I still miss them.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:54pm
post #30 of 64

I am currently looking into renting (or partial bartering) with a bagel shop here in florida. although i doubt i can afford to pay "rent", perhaps we can work out where I make cakes that she can sell in her shop and keep the money, as part of my "rent".
My other option is checking with some of the larger churches. They have huge kitchens, and in Florida, its legal to do that. And perhaps work out a trade to legally hang my license there, offer cakes for a good many of their functions as "rent", etc.
I understand the fear factor. I'm nervous about it myself, so I'm looking for a less expensive route to legality!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%