Need Help Fast

Decorating By scottelisa13 Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm by handymama

scottelisa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scottelisa13 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 7

I've only used fondant once and it was a couple of years ago...I want to make a buttercream iced cake and then just put some fondant decorations on top, is that something that's possible? Or is it not good to have fondant decorations on buttercream? Help fast please, I've got to make my husbands university graduation cake today.

6 replies
heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 7

There's all sorts of cakes on here that are smoothed buttercream with fondant accents! You'll do great!!!!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 7

You sure can=) If they are big pieces and you worry about them stretching and distorting when you go to place them on the cake, let it sit for a couple minutes to slightly stiffen. People use many things to attach the fondant pieces to BC..water, piping gel, BC, and more. I have used water to attach and it worked great. I just used my little paint brush(just for cakes) and brushed a little bit of water on it, placed the fondant piece on the cake and held it for just a second to make sure it stayed in place=) If you have any other questions, or I missed something, let us know! GL with your cake!! Jen

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 7

It works great I rently did a cake just like that I attached black fondant triangles on the side of a white buttercream cake.... It was very impressive... and I did not even need anything to attach them with as I started before it was crusted... as I was almost finished I did bput a little buttercream under those last few to make sure they wouel stick

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 7

Yup, go for it. Works great!

scottelisa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scottelisa13 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

thanks so much everyone for your responses. I have one more question...can I make the fondant decorations a day before or so and just let them sit out? Or do they need to be covered up or put in a container?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

If they're on wax paper they should dry slowly unless you're in the desert. That will make them firm enough to handle easily, but not brittle and cracking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%