Rolled Fondant And Square Cakes

Decorating By tan32 Updated 21 Jul 2006 , 4:23am by tan32

tan32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tan32 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:54am
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have any last minute suggestions. I have my cakes crumb coated and ready to do fondant tomorrow, for a wedding on saturday. Can I use the crisco method on my rolling pin and mat, with ready to use wilton fondant, or should I use icing sugar? Also any suggestions on how to get the fondant smoothed over the corners and sides without tearing and puckering. This is my first square cake. I hate the rolling out part, it takes forever.

4 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:01am
post #2 of 5

I'm getting ready to try fondant and square cake combo myself. Everything I have read says to do the corners first then smooth around the cake. I'm new to fondant and I have learned that going slow to work the fondant around the cake seems to work best for me to avoid puckering and tears. I also bought rolling pin guides which helps keep me from rolling the fondant too thin (because I certainly couldn't do it on my own!) I always dust my rolling area with powdered sugar-haven't heard of the crisco method!

Too late for this now but have you tried marshmallow fondant (MMF)? It is very easy to make and tastes sooo much better than the wilton stuff.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:02am
post #3 of 5

You can use Crisco on your surface to keep it from sticking but it doesn't take much. When you do your cake make sure you don't make the fondant too much bigger than the cake. smooth the corners first then the sides. make sure you use the same size cake board as the cake to cover it so it can hand below the cake. Key to keep it from tearing is not to have it too thick or too large.
Good Luck

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:05am
post #4 of 5

Ok, if I can do it you can do it!! Last night at my Wilton 3 class, I used fondant for the very first time ever. On a square cake none the less. I slathered crisco on my rolling pin and rolling surface. Had no problems rolling it out. It was like rolling out pastry dough. Then I put it on the cake. I started at one corner and pulled down lightly while I used my fingers to form it around the corner. Then I smoothed the one side. From there I found it easier to use the fondant smoother on the corners. Just rubbed along one side of the corner. Then the other side. used my fingers as needed to pull. didn't take long and i'm really surprised at how nicely it turned out. i don't know if it makes any difference, but i did use MMF.

tan32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tan32 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 4:23am
post #5 of 5

I guess I will really have to try this MMF some time. I don't think the wilton stuff tastes that bad really. I think I will do the crisco thing for rolling out, it sounds like it works much better that icing sugar. Do the corners first hey. I just worry, about tears so much, I had it happen on the last wedding cake, and had to chuck the fondant and start over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%