I Got An Amazing Compliment!

Decorating By ps3884 Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 5:54am by dominique26

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 18

I received a phone call today from someone who had seen a cake I made for a children's birthday party - my Luau Barbie cake. She wants me to make a cake for her parent's anniversary party. She told me she chose the theme for the party - Luau - because she wanted my cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, so she had left me a message this morning and said she wanted an anniversary cake with a Luau theme. I got excited and started coming up with ideas - I'd love to try one of the waterfall cakes I've seen on CC. Well, I spoke with her tonight and she wants the Barbie Luau Cake. icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Just not what I would have thought for an anniversary cake but, to each his own. Anyway, she wants a Ken doll incorporated into the cake. Any ideas on how to do this? I'm at a loss. icon_confused.gif

17 replies
dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:35am
post #2 of 18

I just looked at the picture of your Barbie cake and I can see why she wants you to make the same cake for her, it was really wonderful! How about if you make the cake at the base larger and have Ken in boardshorts sitting or laying on a beach towel?

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:27am
post #3 of 18

That is a nice cake! How about Ken playing the ukulele wearing a lei.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:39am
post #4 of 18

Your Barbie cake is gorgeous and so is everything else in your pics! What about like dominique26's idea, Ken in board shorts standing next to Barbie and holding a surfboard?

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:42am
post #5 of 18

How about Ken on bended knee with a ring in his hand? Of course in his board shorts...

anatmb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anatmb Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:43am
post #6 of 18

Hi,

I would put ken in a bathing suit sitting on the edge of the cake such that his legs are hanging over the side of the cake... Maybe you can make some fondant waves or a piping-gel water front...

Good luck and post pictures!

Anat

Rcrewof10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rcrewof10 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 18

Did she say how much cake she will need? IF she needs more what about doing a sheet size cake w/ the Barbie you just did standing on the sandy shore and Ken on a surf board coming to Barbie holding a ring? I have no idea how to construct that but that is what I would envision.

Good Luck! I look forward to see what you come up with

Michele

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 18

Since she is insistant on THAT cake, I would see if maybe she'd like a second to match but with Ken in a grass skirt too icon_wink.gif I've seen it before on tv lol... Men where them things all the time lol. Or since it's an anniversary party... you could do the "on bended knee" suggestion above... I think that would be great!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 18

Wow! That's a fabulous cake!

ps3884 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 18

Thank you all so much for the ideas (and the compliments). I was having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate the Ken doll - the Barbie is so big because of the cake dress, I just thought it would look so disproportionate. Before I decide on a design, I guess I'd better go to the store to see what I can find for a Ken doll! icon_lol.gif Thanks to you all, at least I have some idea of where to go with this...I was coming up empty. icon_confused.gif

She only needs the cake to feed 40-50. I like the idea of Ken on the surf board with and engagement ring and also adding water/waves. I also like Ken sitting with his legs over the side of the cake (might be easier than keeping him standing). Maybe have him sitting on a surfboard, water under him and down the side of the cake where his legs are dangling?

Other suggestions/opinions still welcome...this cake's not due until the 23rd.

Thanks,
Penny

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:28pm
post #11 of 18

Rcrewof10's idea get my vote.

How about a wave behind Ken? You won't believe this, but, I taught a high school class a couple of weeks ago and the cake theme (1/2 of their final) was a beach theme. One "kitchen" did a wave using a white chocolate clam shell covered with blue buttercream with white for the "foam". Incredible look and I was blown away by their imagination!

Anyway, just a thought! You could use MMF for the wave or gumpaste and construct ahead of time to be a little more stable.

Beth in KY

ps3884 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

Since she is insistant on THAT cake, I would see if maybe she'd like a second to match but with Ken in a grass skirt too icon_wink.gif I've seen it before on tv lol... Men where them things all the time lol. Or since it's an anniversary party... you could do the "on bended knee" suggestion above... I think that would be great!

It was me that was hesitant on that cake, it's what the customer wants though. I like the idea of the matching Ken cake! Hadn't even considered that. Now I have a few different design options. thumbs_up.gif

ps3884 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:36pm
post #13 of 18

bethola - I love the gumpaste wave idea! At first I had no idea how to design this, now I'll probably end up going "over budget." icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif The cake your students made sounds amazing - a great reflection on the instructor. thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

bethola - I love the gumpaste wave idea! At first I had no idea how to design this, now I'll probably end up going "over budget." icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif The cake your students made sounds amazing - a great reflection on the instructor.

Thanks! But, I can't take the credit for these "Young and Imaginative" minds! I did have a BLAST with them, though! I just kinda showed them the basics, took my molds, etc and "turned 'em loose"! SOOOO fun and I was SOOOO tired! LOL What I really enjoyed was seeing kids that sometimes struggle academically find that there is something they can do WELL, have fun, and be successful!

What they did was really simple. I had purchased large shell soap molds from Hobby Lobby (food safe plastic, same as candy molds) and they used the large clam shell as a "base" for the wave. Since it had a curve to it....worked really well. We ran out of fondant or they would have used it, so buttercream had to suffice. HOWEVER, it did give it a more "fluid" look to the wave.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see the picture!

Beth in KY

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #15 of 18

I think it is so neat that someone calls you because she sees the wonderfull cakes you do. that is the best

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:02pm
post #16 of 18

Well, I have no idea on how you would pull this off because of the skirt, but the first thing that popped into my mind was KEN holding Barbie. Like when the groom carries his bride over the threshhold. But I don't think that would work. Just throwing it out at ya!

ps3884 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 1:05am
post #17 of 18

Just an update, here is the finished cake. Not my choice for an anniversary cake, but she was thrilled. It was exactly what she wanted. I would have liked to do it a bit differently but, had to keep the cost down.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=688003

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 5:54am
post #18 of 18

Awesome! I think it looks great thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%