Chinese Bakery Coconut Cake...

Baking By loveqm Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 3:08pm by thecakewitch

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:40am
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I don't know if you guys have tried this before but I will ask anyway. At the chinese bakery they have this coconut cake that is like a green sponge cake w/ fresh-like coconut pieces as the filling and it is iced w/ a whipped icing that could only do a few piping w/, plus it is also topped w/ fresh fruits. Well, if anyone know how I can duplicate this recipe please, please share with me! =) It is not sweet at all. It's light and just delicious.

TIA,
Mel

5 replies
snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:33am
post #2 of 6

Green sponge cake makes me think it is a version of pandan cake. This has been on my list to try for a long time. Just never got around to it. You can get pandan leaves and essences at asian markets.

My plan was to wade through some recipes I found on the web and come up with my own version. But maybe someone here has a tried and true recipe they could share.

Here's a brief description of the cake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandan_(cake)

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:41am
post #3 of 6

I've seen pandan flavored gelatin and pandan extract in Asian stores - could be added to one of the box doctored recipes but I have not tried this yet.

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies for your replies...that might be the cake but I am really looking for help w/ the filling and icing. I can't seemto find anything that resembles the coconut used as thefilling. And all the whipped icing I've tried does not even come close to it.

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 6

ASame in South/East Australia only I think they call it Pandan Chiffon & like you is sold in Asian stores. I would love to try to make one so if anyone finds a recipe similar to those described above. :-) I want it too. :-D

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

To the OP, have you tried Macapuno for the filling? You can find it in Asian stores in a bottle. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%