Seeking Texas Cookie Decorators

Baking By softie Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 3:52am by Jesjacster2

softie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softie Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:08am
post #1 of 17

Hi,

Was wondering who all on the forum is from Texas? Where at are you located? Does anyone in Texas teach classes or know of any place in Texas that teaches classes.

I am in the DFW area, Krum to be exact. It's located just outside of Denton.

16 replies
ResaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ResaB Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #2 of 17

Hi, I am in the Austin area. I know that Hobby Lobby and Michaels teach cake classes, have you checked to see if they teach cookie decorating? There is also a cake decorating supply store in Austin that teaches everything from cake and cookie decorating to classes on gum paste flowers, so if you have a decorating supply store anywhere in the DFW area maybe check there.

I started decorating cookies in college. I worked at the Great American Cookie Co. I have actually just taught myself to do cookie bouquets, and other small cookies. I have 3 kids that will gladly eat my experiments icon_biggrin.gif

softie Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:43am
post #3 of 17

Have taken cake decorating at JoAnn's. I work part time at Walmart in the bakery, so I do get to decorate cakes. Michael's nor Hobby Lobby here offers cookie decorating classes. Boo Hoo!!

If I ever win the big lottery, I want to come take classes at the culanry school their in Austin. Keep seeing one of their instructors compete on the Food Network.

ResaB Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 17

Bronwen Webber? I am not sure she is still at the Culinary Academy, for some reason I think she has gone some where else, but I am not positive. At one point she was teaching a few classes at All in One, the decorating supply store. If you can't find anything up that way, you could find a book that teaches techniques, and teach yourself, I did that for small cookies.

BsKookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BsKookies Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 17

ResaB

What is the name of the book you used for small cookies?
Thanks!

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 17

I am from Riesel, east of Waco. Cake Carousel in Richardson is a great place for cookie and cake classes. They have a great assortment of cookie cutters too!

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 17

I'm in McKinney...probably the closest to you, yet! I am in the process of taking Wilton classes at Michael's but have honestly self-taught myself the whole cookie thing from reading things here on CC! icon_smile.gif

ResaB Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BsKookies

ResaB

What is the name of the book you used for small cookies?
Thanks!

I wish I could tell you. I loaned it to someone over a year ago, and can't for the life of me figure out who, and can not remember the name of it.

Someone posted a website the other day though that has some good tutorials on it. It was karenscookies.net.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 17

I'm in The Colony, on the other side of Denton from you. I love doing cookies, and I learned the basics of cookie decorating in a Wilton class. I prefer using royal icing to decorate cookies. Cookies are so much fun to do! They're my new favorite thing to take to competitions.

Bronwen is no longer with the Culinary Academy. She is employed at Frosted Art Bakery in Dallas but she travels a lot and I think she teaches classes as she goes along, but I'm not sure.

Deanna

softie Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 17

Did find a website offering a class by her for $200. Think it was at the Dallas bakery. BUT thats a much of money!! Not sure but think the class was on 1 or 2 days for that price!!!!

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #11 of 17

I'm in McAllen, only about 10 hours south of you! I also took decorating classes at Hobby Lobby. Good luck!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #12 of 17

Softie
I am in Rowlett, just east of Dallas and have taken LOTS of classes at Cake Carousel in Richardson. They offer some all day classes on Saturdays so you could just make one trip down. They are a family owned store and are all very nice. They even have special instructors come sometimes, like Nicholas Lodge, Browen Weber, Earlene Moore to name a few. If you get the chance you should check them out.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:14am
post #13 of 17

Hi Softie,

I'm in Dallas and I have also taken lots of classes at Cake Carousel. Many of the cake classes can be applied to cookies. Best of all, Penny McConnell teaches a class every year near Christmas. I took it this past December and learned so much -- she's a fabulous instructor.

Sur La Table and Central Market also have cookie and cake classes from time to time.

Hope to see you around!

Kim

Windykk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windykk Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:20am
post #14 of 17

Hi! I'm in Grand Prairie, but i know that Elizabeths Cake supplies in Euless does lots of classes and they are reasonalbly priced.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:06am
post #15 of 17

i teach classes in Denton, close to you. we also have a cake club, next meeting will meet in July.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:08am
post #16 of 17

just noted you said there were no cookie classes in Denton. I do offer them, but never have enough students (need 6) for it to run.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 3:52am
post #17 of 17

I'm in Garland, interested in a cakeclub near by, Tina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%