Cookie Cutter Storage

Baking By yellobutterfly Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:40pm by Hippiemama

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:57am
post #1 of 29

Ok, what have you found is the best way to store your cutters? I've got mine in a plastic storage container in a bottom cabinet, the problem I now have is the cutters have outgrown my box and my toddler keeps opening the cabinet and running away with cutters giggling...and we have those cabinet locks for children, but guess where they are? In their package under my kitchen sink...lol can't motivate DH to install them already....oh we need a gate! (sorry, venting)

28 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #2 of 29

I use clear bags to sort by type (holidays, animals, shapes, minis, whaterver) Then I put them in a tub with a snap lid in my garage.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:42am
post #3 of 29

I'm out growing my plastic container as well. I'm tired of digging through it looking for the right cutter. I've thought about hanging them, but then don't want them to get dirty/dusty. I think different containers by theme/subject is the way to go, just haven't gotten myself to the store for more containers. The story of my life.....

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:50am
post #4 of 29

I like the rest of you am going broke buying stuff to organize, I have a plastic bin for each holiday and weddings, graduation and so forth. Needless to say I think I've counted 9 of them and 2 are about full. Sheesh........................

alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 29

I have mine in gallon zip top bags organized by holiday, nautical, wedding, etc. These are all stored in a LARGE tote with a snap lid. I too have a toddler who thinks they are fun. Used to keep the tote in the garage, but since we moved from our house in OH to an apt in CT, they are in my closet...taking up shoe space icon_cry.gif LOL

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 29

I store mine in baskets and plastic containers. I don't store too many in each container so that I can see what I want easily. I also have them divided up in categories.

Speaking of cutters, I ordered some new cutters from Off the Beaten Path---and got them in 1 1/2 days. Wow! That was fast! icon_eek.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I'm out growing my plastic container as well. I'm tired of digging through it looking for the right cutter. I've thought about hanging them, but then don't want them to get dirty/dusty. I think different containers by theme/subject is the way to go, just haven't gotten myself to the store for more containers. The story of my life.....

That gave me an idea - what about those photo storage boxes at Garden Ridge? They're only a few bucks and you could probably buy ones that are seasonally decorated so you'd know by the box what type of cutters were in it...or I could just buy plain ones and label them....The ziploc bags that are in my container aren't able to close anymore b/c they're overflowing too...lol. Thanks everyone for the ideas and inspiration!

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 29

I got a large photo storage container on closeout at Hobby Lobby. They had tons of them left.

slent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slent Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 29

I'm a newbie and haven't really posted much but wanted to let you know that I have my cutters in clear plastic shoe boxes that I bought at Walmart for $.97 each (and they stack on top of each other nicely). Whenever I go I try to buy 1 or 2 that way it doesn't seem like a lot of money at once. Then I have them labeled by theme in bold and all cap letters with each cutter in the box listed underneath the theme. So far its made it easy to find a cutter when I've needed it.

monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 29

I have mine in a huge old fashioned pickle jar...and have them sit on my counter...Great disply item.....

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 29

I have mine in a plastic office organizer, the one with 6 shallow drawers. They are broken down by holiday. The organizer was on sale for $7.99. They lay flat so I don't have to dig.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by slent

I'm a newbie and haven't really posted much but wanted to let you know that I have my cutters in clear plastic shoe boxes that I bought at Walmart for $.97 each (and they stack on top of each other nicely). Whenever I go I try to buy 1 or 2 that way it doesn't seem like a lot of money at once. Then I have them labeled by theme in bold and all cap letters with each cutter in the box listed underneath the theme. So far its made it easy to find a cutter when I've needed it.

Yup, me too, I have about 8 - just haven't been as organised as you, so nothing is labelled and I have to dig every time I want a cutter. I will get around to it though, one day!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 29

I store mine in thrift-store baskets. I decorate the baskets with the 'theme' of the cutters, then put the cutters in plastic bags so they don't get dusty. The baskets sit up on top of my kitchen cabinets, and from down at eye-level, you can't see what's in them... just the decorations on them. Neat and pretty. icon_smile.gif

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 29

I keep mine in gallon size zip top bags. Easy to see and easy to throw back in t cabinet. BTW yellobutterfly, those cabinet locks will do wonders when installed! LOL. My daughter used to do the same thing. She even cried when she realized she couldn't open Mommy's cabinets anymore.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 29

This post couldn't have come at a better time!! At the present time my cookie cutters are all over the dining room table because I had a graduation cookie order to make and had to search through all my cutters to find the ones I needed. What added to the mess was that I just order tons of cutters from Sugarcraft (along with other baking items) and now that they've arrived, I have not done anything to organize them.

I love slents idea! I just hope I can get that organized to actually get to the store, remember to buy the containers, separate and then label everything. And yellobutterfly, I was laughing at your post about your toddler in your cupboards--we had the cupboard door locks on our cupboards for years (my youngest is now 8-1/2). What I was laughing at is the thought of my husband and I struggling to open the cupboards while it way my toddler who was the one who figured out how to open them successfully after the locks were on. LOL!

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 29

I was just thinking about this topic today!! Here's a picture of how I store my cookie cutter collection. I like the variety of drawer heights on these cabinets (three different sizes). This picture was taken in summer '06. If I took a picture today, you'd see piles of cookie cutters on top of these storage cabinets that still need to be put away. Except my drawers are full so I'm going to start moving my holiday cutters out of these storage cabinets into big sterilite containers and store them in another room. Once you get your system in place, it's not too much to keep organized and you can spend more time making cookies! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Just went to the Wilton tent sale yesterday in IL (fun!!) and picked up a bunch more cookie cutters / sets at 50% off! thumbs_up.gif
LL

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:23pm
post #17 of 29

Tscookies - Wow! How many cookie cutters do you have?

Tscookies Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 29

Hmm, I've never counted ... pretty many ... I like them in all shapes in sizes. Now that you mention it, maybe I should ask one of my kids to count them this summer. I should've mentioned that the top right cabinet isn't filled with cookie cutters .. those are fondant cutters, gumpaste supplies, etc.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 1:37am
post #19 of 29

I'm low on storage space for my hobbies! mine are divided into catagories and in plastic bags which are labeled and in an under-the-bed rubbermaid box under my bed!

yellobutterfly Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:43am
post #20 of 29

Tscookies = that's awesome!! Where'd ya find that nifty storage system? Is it 2 units or more stacked? How much $$?? Thanks!

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:55am
post #21 of 29

we peg boarded one of the walls in my kitchen/dining area and I have them hung there. Soon I'll need a second wall...lol

Maybe I should look into some of those drawers...

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 10:48am
post #22 of 29

I also store my cutters in ziploc gallon bags, sorted by holidays, themes, etc.
Then I put all of the bags into a large plastic storage bin. Problem however,
is now there are too many BAGS to fit into the storage box (which is really
large) Hmmmm sign of an addicted cookie cutter collector, or what? LOL

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 11:25am
post #23 of 29

Right now, I have mine hanging in my garage. I took pieces of heavy duty twine and hung them crosswise and slid the cutters on them. There are several rows, and they are by categories. It's nice that they are on the wall on space that would be unsed! My pans are also hanging in my garage! We are having a garage sale in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping that will get my garage organized so I can reorganize all of my cake/cookie stuff!

Tscookies Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 12:00pm
post #24 of 29

I bought my storage cabinets several years ago at Office Depot. Unfortunately, they don't carry that particular kind anymore - the plastic is similar to clear acrylic which I really like (not frosted plastic). There are 4 cabinets and the ones on top have 8 drawers, the ones on the bottom 5. I love the idea of hanging up the cookie cutters for storage, too!

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 7:09pm
post #25 of 29

I have mine stored in plastic sun tea jars. You can see what's in them and carry them around. Plus, they look cute in the kitchen.

crolfes83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crolfes83 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #26 of 29

I've been using these stackable storage drawers.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=bxgy_cc_img_b_14034461/601-9571195-8275311?asin=B000AVNG3C

They stack as high as you want- similar to a file cabinet. I have two stacks side by side 6 drawers high. I'm ready to start another row! What's great is you can stack them anywhere. I have mine inside a closet. I also used these in my son's room for legos. I stacked his in a corner of the room.

Edited to say....these come in different sizes. I think I have the 16qt size. You can find them in Target stores.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #27 of 29

Love the drawer ideas! I have got to do something. Rummaging through a plastic bin at midnight for the right cutter is not working out too well!

I have a closet in the dining room that is just used for junk. I think I'll hijack that later this afternoon and move in some wooden storage shelves that are sitting empty.

The ideas are flying now!

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:51pm
post #28 of 29

I store mine in gallon ziploc bags, sorted by theme/occasion. We moved just a few months ago, so I've been attempting to put the older ones in a box to go to our storage rental. The newer ones/upcoming occasions are kept in bottom of my armoire.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:40pm
post #29 of 29

Good ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%