Just How Many Darn Tastings Are Required???? (Long Rant)

Decorating By KayDay Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 5:24am by GI

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 112

OK, I've been in the business for a few years now and am still amazed at things that come up. Now I am not refering to the strange cake orders...(I am doing an armadillo to feed 150 and a Mario Bros.Wedding cake this month and have done the strangest gothic and different ugly color combos , per customers orders you have ever seen) it's the gall of some folks that never ceases to amaze me...and the downright rude people! I have on the other hand had more than my share of wonderful customers that are a pleasure and just great people. My story today is about one of the former types unfortunately.
A gentleman contacts me a month ago about doing this elaborate Mario Brothers weding cake. I meet with him (at his home)and provide TONS of samples. He asked for dark chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I make 3 varieties of cake one boxed devils food one ...from scratch hersheys perfectly chocolate and a rich dark from scratch buttery chocolate cake. I make a fudgy dark choc frosting for one and a chocolate buttercream and then a regular buttercream as he wasnt certain if he wanted the icing chocolate. I also made cookie samples as they want 200 initialed cookie favors.

My assistant and I ...sit down with this gentleman and his fiance'. He samples all of them and then says he LOVES the hersheys perfectly chocolate cake with the chocolate BC. However he found the sugar cookie a little too cakey and said he prefered a more crisp cookie. I was fine with that and put it in my notes.

I left this man POUNDS of cake ...to sample and resample to his hearts content. He calls to say he would like to met to finalize the deal and make payment. He then asks to RESAMPLE the cake that he wanted...not a NEW variety...as if he didnt like the other one....but the one he writhed in ectasy over at our meeting...I am already making more cookie samples so that he can see for himself that I CAN indeed make the cookie a bit more crisp. But to remake a from scratch cake and frosting when ,he is asking for the same one that I brought him a pound of before????. Now I know many people charge for traveling etc. But this is a pricy cake so I was doing much of it as part of the deal...but am getting madder the more I think about having to provide the same thing AGAIN...all this in the midst of other customers, weddings and kids summer functions etc. Just wondering about your take on this guys? Am I being catty? Or is this a bit much to ask? He is a BIG man...and my assistant blew up earlier and made a comment to me that she couldn't believe that he thinks because he is contracting us to do a job that he thinks we have to feed his fat @ss cake from now till the wedding...I know it sounds bad ...but I had to laugh.

111 replies
KayDay Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 112

uh oh icon_biggrin.gif ...I scared everyone off...lol icon_redface.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 112

He is out of his mind. Now you have to charge for a whole cake if he wants more.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 112

I would certainly let him know that the first set of sample cakes were complimentary - but any additional requests are fee-based.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 112

Yes, sounds like he wants to BUY a cake. icon_lol.gif

It's not like he's sampling a different one or wasn't sure. He just wants to see if he can get more free cake out of you.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 112

No, he's pushing it. He knows he likes the cake; that's not in question so why does he need more? I'd say you will happily do him further cake at whatever you'd be happy charging. You're running a business not a soup kitchen.

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 112

Charge him! icon_biggrin.gif The first sample, aya cake tasting is free, after that he has to pay for the price of a whole cake. It's been done before and he will rethink his request I am sure. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 112

Sounds like he probably dreamt about your cake and want some more right now icon_lol.gif !! IMO first time is a tasting, second time is a dessert order!! You don't owe him another tasting, but it's probably not easy to say no to customers. Some people yeesh...

-Rezzy

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 112

I agree with everyone. You've provided plenty of samples. If he wants more, he needs to buy a cake.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 112

I charge a tasting fee but with purchase it comes out of total price of order. If you wanna re taste, sure, that'll be x amount for my 6in . Thank you! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 112

"..oh, yes, and a few of my wedding guests are dropping by my place later and they'd like to sample the cake, too, so could you bring over a 12 inch and also would you feed each of us with silver spoons and dab the corners of our mouths with linen napkins, and oh! I wanted to know if you could actually lower the price on my total order since I ordered so much..."

icon_twisted.gif

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 112

I would definitely tell him there will be a charge for a second tasting or ask "You mean you decided you didn't like the cake the first time??!!". Sounds like he's wanting free cake.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 112

I agree with everybody here, CHARGE HIM FOR IT!! He's just taking advantage of you and trying to have another free cake. thumbsdown.gif . I read somewhere that if you make samples of wedding cakes and the customer ends up ordering fom you, then the sample would be free, but if they DON'T order from you, then they will have to pay for their first samples.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 112

I agree with every one else--this second "tasting" is nothing more than seeking more freebies. 1st meeting, it's a tasting, after that it's a pay in full order!!

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 112

I'm lmao at some of the comments. Thinking of this man going to bed and fantasizing about your Hershey's cake and icing. He can't sleep. He tosses. He turns. He frets. He thinks, "I know, I'll asking for another sample". Sort of reminds me of "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". I agree with all who suggest charging him. Ask him "what size sample will you need so I know how much to add to the gig?". If he's cheap, he'll back off. If he needs to fulfill his fantasy, he'll pay.

KayDay Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 112

I am so glad everyone so far agrees. I was feeling kinda mean. But I also guess some people think of us as a BAKERY instead of specialty bakers...and as of right now I am using my church's kitchen as our lease was up on our old shop and things were falling apart there and landlord didnt want to fix them...(but thats another story)I might need to clarify for them..that we are NOT a bakery..maybe they figure that we have tons of their favorite lying around and just grab one as we are going out the door to meet with them. Instead of the reality that we all know ..of shopping for ingredients ...baking ...cleaning up the mess...decorating...cleaning up again etc.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 112

It's simple. Don't get mad. Say no. Or charge him for it.

And I don't know of any bakeries that give away free cakes.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:59pm
post #18 of 112

Most places I know of charge a tasting fee, but if you order from them then that fee comes off the price of the cake. Makes sense to me...or people could just set up appointments to "eat" cake for free all the time without ever intending to place an order. I would definately charge him for it!

KayDay Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 112

True...most bakeries don't give away cakes...lol. But ours do have samples at times...but I don't think the average person knows what all goes into providing those samples when you dont already just have it lying around in volume.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:02pm
post #20 of 112

What are you going to do, he's an Idiot and Idiots stay Idiots.

First I would feel good that he liked my cake that much.

I know it is very puts you in a spot and you don't want to say anything.

You could say you are backed up with orders and you just don't have the time.

You could tell him that in order to provide him with another sample you would have to make a whole cake and no one else has asked to try that flavor at this time. But, you could purchase a whole cake.

Or when you get there tell him you're really sorry but you were backed up with last minute orders and you just couldn't get to making samples. I am sure he won't change his mind.

I don't charge for tasting. I only had one couple not purchase from me. Down the road I may charge and take deduct it if they order the cake.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:03pm
post #21 of 112

SophieBelle - LMBO at your comment!

Two words - CHARGE HIM!

One free tasting ONLY!!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:18pm
post #22 of 112
Quote:
Quote:

he thinks we have to feed his fat @ss cake from now till the wedding

ok, that's funny

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:20pm
post #23 of 112

i'm just dying here, but i agree, charge him.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:22pm
post #24 of 112

kick him in the head

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:28pm
post #25 of 112

JANETTE!!!

NOW I'm dying!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sherriburts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherriburts Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:35pm
post #26 of 112

OK, I agree with everyone else too!

The first time ...a tasting, the second time...that's a craving!!!!!

But what a compliment on your cakes!

Hey, you can't blame that big 'ol guy for trying!!!!! Now charge him!!!!!!

-Sherri

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm
post #27 of 112

I have a feeling that you are going to be sample testing cakes for quite awhile if you let him. I think you really need to weigh if you want this order or not. I think his big fat a@# is going to turn into a pain in the a@# for you!!!!!!

Think long and hard about this order!!!!

MHO

Lu

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:51pm
post #28 of 112

I agree second tastings are a full order cake

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:56pm
post #29 of 112

I love your assistant's comment - that's awesome! I agree - one sample is fine, but another of the SAME thing he went on and on about is NOT free. Tell him that you're glad to provide one sample, but anything additional you will have to charge him for. The fact that you made additional sample cookies, probably for no charge, I'm guessing, is quite enough. Maybe give him a cookbook, that way he could feed his own fat a**. icon_lol.gif I think your assistant and I would get in to trouble together! LOL

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:14pm
post #30 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeebug

If he's cheap, he'll back off. If he needs to fulfill his fantasy, he'll pay.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif only a man!!!! no offense men!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%