Couple Of Questions About Fbct And An Extender

Decorating By mis Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm by mis

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 12

Can I use the recipe that is for the FBCT in the recipe section to ice my cake? Would I have to thin it down some? I dont' want to make all that icing and only use it for the transfer. I know silly question.

Also will this extender make my cake rise so I can make two smaller 9x13 to layer so I don't have to try and torte for the first time yet?
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream.
I used one once before and my cake fell apart taking out of the pan. It wasn't this recipe though. My regular 9x13 aren't very high.

Any suggestion or advice is greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
koolchica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolchica Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 12

I used the frosting the ice my cake after I put it on. I used dream whip under it. I only used it because I needed more frosting and didn't want to make any more. Everyone loved it and asked where I bought the cake at. Sorry I can't help on the extender part. I've never used it.

Tracie

mis Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks, koolchica .

Anyone else?? Please. icon_lol.gif

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 12

I made the FBCT frosting and I put the leftovers in my freezer. I took a little bit out a couple of weeks later to taste it and it tasted fine. I'd say just put it in a tupperware container and put it in your freezer. That way, you can pull it out the next time you do a FBCT and you won't have to make any frosting for it.

I've added 1 cup each of flour, sugar, and sour cream to my cakes before and boy does it make a big difference. Not only does it help to make your cakes rise, but it also makes the cakes more moist and tastier!

What I would also suggest to help make your cakes rise higher is to bake your cakes at 325 degrees (it will increase your baking time) and to use the Wilton bake even strips. This helps make your cakes higher and have less of a hump (in many cases, you might not have to level your cakes).

mis Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the advice puzzlegut. I don't have the bake even strips but I will bake at 325. icon_smile.gif

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 12

The cake mix extender on this site works wonderful. I love it. It is a bit different than the one you have listed. It also adds another egg and some salt and vanilla.

mis Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the reply Kazoot . I appreciate your help and suggestions.

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 12

I've used the extender with my cake mixes, and when I use a 9x13 pan it bakes up all the way to the top. Bake at 325 (mine took about an hour) and consider using flower nails for heating cores. I needed them because my cake took so long to bake through the first time that the second time I tried it I used two flower nails. Didn't use bake strips though, but I did smoosh the top of the cake down with a double-thickness of paper towel as soon it came out of the oven (use oven mitts! it's hot!).

mis Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks fuzzykoala22 I am wanting to bake two 9x13 so I don't have to try and torte it being I'm running out of time. icon_eek.gif I got like a week left so that's great that I know that it would probably rise to the top of my pan. Thanks again.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 12

The FBCT icing is what I use for all my cakes. Only word of warning--that is alot of butter for these hot days we are having. I got away with it today but the cake wasn't out very long in the heat.

gegon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gegon Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 12

I use the same icing to frost my cake and make FBCTs. This is the recipe I use all the time and it has never failed me...

1 can of Crisco (1 lb.)
2 lb. confectioners sugar
1/2 cup of water
2 tsp. desired flavor (mostly I use vanilla or butter emulsion)

mis Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 12

Oh I didn't even think about the heat it will probably be hot it's been in the 90's here and HUMID, thanks for the heads up NEWTODECORATING .

Thank you for sharing your recipe gegon, I think I might just use that one. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%