Uggh! Frosting Melting - Please Help!!

Decorating By gingoreilly Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 2:31am by purplepansey

gingoreilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingoreilly Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 7

I am about to go crazy! I live in Dallas area where it gets really hot in the summer and it seems like all my cakes are melting. They look fine in the house and then I put them in the car, take them to my destination and they are cracked and the frosting is sliding down! I am so frustrated. I am lucky, most my customers are my friends and family, but still! Uggh. Do you think it is my buttercream? I use half butter/half crisco. Should I just use all crisco? And also..do you think it is the new crisco with no transfat? Please help, I have turned down cake requests, because I am afraid what will happen when I get them out of the car. I don't think I can take seeing another one of my cakes falling apart.

Thanks everyone!

6 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 7

Search for posts on the new trans fat free Crisco, that is most likely your problem. We are all having this problem, if we use Crisco. It is a nightmare! There are several folks who are working on finding a workable solution, but not much has come up yet. Wilton's test kitchen is even working on this, so far, they suggest adding a packet of Dream Whip to your bc to help stabilize, but I don't know of anyone who has done it.

We have complained to Crisco, but all they do is call back & say they are reporting it to the company. They have no plans to offer both regular & zero trans fat, at this time. Maybe if they get enough complaints....?

sherriburts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherriburts Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry to be stupid, but could you tell me what dreamwhip packets are?

Thanks, Sherri

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

That's not stupid! If you don't know & don't ask, that would be stupid! icon_biggrin.gif Dream Whip is a powdered whipped cream substitute. It is sold at grocery stores (at least here in TX), usually with the cake mixes or pudding mixes, I think. My mom used it all the time for Jell-O pies, but I haven't used it in a long time. HTH!

sherriburts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherriburts Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Brenda! I think I'll look for it tomorrow and give it a try.

-Sherri

gingoreilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingoreilly Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you Brenda. I figured it was the crisco too. But I also think the butter is messing things up as well. I am just going to have to play with my frosting before taking any more requests.

Thanks again for your help!

purplepansey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplepansey Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

I am now feeling better. I just did a wedding cake and the icing started to melt before I arrived at the hall. icon_cry.gif I have been beating myself up trying to figure out what went wrong and all I can figure is the new Crisco formula. I have done cakes in South FL and MS in the summer with out AC and NEVER had a problem with my icing until now. I wish Crisco would go back. Has anyone tried Snowdrift shortening - if you can still get it? Has anyone tried the Dreamwhip addition? Does it change the flavor? I still have 2 more cakes for this month and really need some input! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%