Another Pre Made Icing Question...

Decorating By swipernoswiping Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 6:59pm by swipernoswiping

swipernoswiping Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swipernoswiping Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 6

Is the pre made icing (duncan hines) thick enough to top a cupcake cake? Or does it need to be pretty firm icing? Do you think I could add icing sugar to it?

~karen

5 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 6

You're going to need a fairly firm icing to hold up between the gaps of the cupcakes. You may be able to add icing sugar to the canned frosting, but I think you would be better off making a buttercream, if that's an option for you.

swipernoswiping Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, I thought so. I just find that kids don't like the taste of buttercream icing. Oh well, what can you do, right?

Thanks!

~k

meowkitty30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meowkitty30 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

I've used canned frosting before but as Shelbur 10 mentioned, a stiffer consistancy works best.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 6

When I made the Gecko Cupcake cake in my photos, the mom specifically asked for store bought frosting. I used Wilton's White Creamy Decorator Icing in the 4lb 8oz tub, and I was amazed at the taste. It doesn't have the aftertaste that a lot of store bought icings do. It was thick enough to not fall through the cracks, but easy to spread. I bought mine at Michaels for about $11, actually $7 after using a 40% off coupon. I will definitly use this frosting again if a customer asks for store bought. HTH

swipernoswiping Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 6

**gasp** I LOVE your gecko cake!

Thank you to all for your input!!

~k

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%