Baseball Cake For Ortiz

Decorating By psurrette Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 6:01pm by WickedGoodies

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:18am
post #1 of 64

Some of you know I have been asked to make a cake for David Ortiz of the Red Sox. I have been thinking about what to do and have somewhat of an idea, I thought it might be good to ask others on your ideas. Here is a picture of a cake I thought I would make it like. I have no clue who made this cake but I loved it and can see it in a baseball theme.
THanks for your help!
PS Doug thank you!
LL

63 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:26am
post #2 of 64

a sketch for you.

bottom tier -- field on top (so want to lable it "who's on first, what's on second, etc.)

scoreboard on sides (of course it's a shut out!) if it doesn't go all the way around, fill gap with "for it's one, two, three strikes you're OUT! at the old ball game!)

middle tier: team pennants hanging from plate. side has classic baseball food items -- cracker jacks, bag of peanuts, soda or beer. on top glove and catcher's mask

top tier: didn't draw it in but one of those baseball player figures (label Mighty Casey at the Bat or with name of favorite player on side withlogo of fav. team: It's a homerun birthday!

support made to look like a classic wooden Louiseville Slugger bat. can be positioned at home plate as sketched or move baseball diamond so it's on the pitcher's mound.

baseball perchend on top of bat handle. put signature of fav. player on ball if can find one (unless of course he's going to get a real autographed ball as a present -- then "hide" it in plain sight!

can add foil "fireworks" pics if have them.

HTH
LL

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:48am
post #3 of 64

one more thought...on top tier, if one or more of his fav. players is inducted in hall of fame...could do replica of their HoF plaque.

plaques here >> http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/plaques/index.htm

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:55am
post #4 of 64

That is an awesome sketch, Doug, but my hubby says that the visitor scores are on top, and the home team scores are on the bottom. He also says that a "Yankees/Red Sox" scoreboard would be cool!!

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:00am
post #5 of 64

ok..on scoreboard....

never really paid that much attention to that...after all the Cubs so RARELY win!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

----------

boy do we have a lot of Yankees and Red Sox fans on here. that's one rivalry I steer clear of.

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:04am
post #6 of 64

OMGosh,
Make ME this cake! You gotta do somethin like this! I love it!
(BTW, Rangers rock. Well, except tonight maybe.) icon_confused.gif

Blessings!

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:08am
post #7 of 64

what type of cake stand does this use? Doug what a cool sketch!

(Go Braves!!!)

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:10am
post #8 of 64

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea from Doug. Best of luck to you. Please post pics and be sure to write a post letting us know you posted pic and how he liked the cake.

ANGELA0520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELA0520 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:20am
post #9 of 64

KAE,
What is the cake for?? My son is attending a camp at Extra Innings next week, David Ortiz will be coaching. Is this related?

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:29am
post #10 of 64

how lucky are you??? as you can tell by my name, i am a HUGE Red Sox fan and i LOVE Big Papi. I'm sorry, i have no ideas for you but i would love to know how one gets the opportunity to make a cake for David Ortiz!!!

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:29am
post #11 of 64

still more thoughts:

replace pennant with flag of dominican republic.
>>flag image

put his nickname by player on top tier: Big Papi Salsa

make sure socks on player figure are red.

maybe work in the Red Sox mascot in place of catchers mask.

on second tier could drop foods and put logos of teams of kids he'll be working with.

on top tier do replica of his baseball card

for ball on top if you want a really emotional moment -- put his mom's name (see his bio at wikipedia for info on why)

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:11am
post #12 of 64

[quote="Doug"]ok..on scoreboard....

never really paid that much attention to that...after all the Cubs so RARELY win!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

----------
funny, Doug. I was laughing so hard, my hubby came from the other room to see what was so funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm a traitor. I live in AZ, but if I watch baseball, it's got to be the Red Sox!!

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 64

more images to help:

ball autograph world series ...and ... second ball

baseball card

his own salsa brand for food item second tier

note on bat support: he almosts always uses a black bat, not a plain wood one.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 64

I can't wait to see this cake!! I am a Red Sox fan too!! Congratulations on getting this order, what a terrific honor!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 64

Whatever happened w/ the cake for David Ortiz? My 8 yr old Red Sox fan is dying to know! He asks everyday. Maybe I don't know how to search too well yet on this website, but I can't find it!

We would love a picture, and a report on how it turned out! icon_smile.gif
Thanks -

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 10:06pm
post #16 of 64

Doug thats a great sketch. I can see a cake like this in a competition. Cant wait to see how this one turns out. Goodluck psurrette

psurrette Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 3:10am
post #17 of 64

UPDATE on cake.....

I have been working on baking it and icing it today. I have the bottom tier somewhat done but still needs more. I will have it finished tomorrow sometime and when I do I will be sure to post the picture!
Other than that my back hurts my feet are tired I haven't slept in a week thinking about this cake..... I want to be done!
Thank you!

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 64

goodluck, are you doing the design doug sketched??

psurrette Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 64

It is close to what he scetched but not exact. I had pretty much the idea he schetched but he gave me some ideas. It will be finished later I am waiting for some color flow things to dry.
Paula

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 64

I can't help you with your cake; do you personally know David Oritz? I would like to share a cake I did featuring Ortiz. It is in my photos. There are several Red Sox cakes there. It's the one with the number 34 in the upper right corner. There is a little picture I drew of David Ortiz in the number.

psurrette Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:05am
post #21 of 64

Heres the cake I promised I would post. It is not finished because I have to put the finishing touches at the final destination. I have a Ortiz batting figure, red sox banners, logo and more stars and baseballs to be added. I will post the actual final cake tommorrow when I get home ( about 6:00)
THank you for your support!
LL

Doug Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:07am
post #22 of 64

whooot whooot!!!

great job!

looking forward to the final version.

sure Ortiz will be impressed!!!

(hmmm...looka that score!)

psurrette Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:09am
post #23 of 64

OH MAN I FORGOT TO SAY I am going to write in the sides of the bottom square cake the song take me out to the ball game........Dont want to do it now in case it bleeds into the white

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:11am
post #24 of 64

AWESOME CAKE!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Had to edit to say I LOVE the Baseball bat post to hold the tiers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

psurrette Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:23am
post #25 of 64

Kinda dissapointed not many posts.

Is it not that good?

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:28am
post #26 of 64

You did an awesome job!!! I have been waiting to see this all day!!!!! I am looking forward to seeing it with all the final touches too. I am so jealous!!!
I love the RED Sox!! Have fun and I am sure he is going to love this cake!!!

Cindy

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:31am
post #27 of 64

I cannot WAIT to show this to my son! He will go crazy. Especially since they lost today (Red Sox) to the Oakland A's. Wow, it looks awesome! I love, love, love the bat running through it - so clever! Good job!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:35am
post #28 of 64

Awesome cake!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:38am
post #29 of 64

I was just popping in hoping you had posted some pics...I wasn't disappointed!!! It's looking fantastic! I can't wait to see it finished. Take lots more pics icon_smile.gif

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:40am
post #30 of 64

GREAT concept and GREAT execution, the bat makes it, very eager to see the finished work too! BRAVO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%