rudoo Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 10:54am
post #1 of

I am torn between using Fondant or buttercream for my daughters birthday cake. "I" think the fondant would be gorgeous, but I am worried abou 5 year olds liking it. And I would use the MMF. I was thinking of using both. A buttercream frosting with MMF accents. Can I do this? Are there any tricks to getting it to stick to the buttercream well. I would hate to get up the morning of the party and all the decorations fell off! icon_surprised.gif Thanks, Jonna Oh... I found a receipe for rolled buttercream fondant. Says it tastes like buttercrem, acts like fondant- just a litlle shinier.

6 replies
thecakemaker Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 11:27am
post #2 of

Depending on what you are making I have found that young kids seem to like the fondant and to play with it! If they don't like it there will still be buttercream underneath. If you want to go with fondant accents just stick them to the buttercream before it crusts over - they will stay. In my gallery are a couple cakes with rolled buttercream. It tastes better than some fondants but is very sweet. Doesn't really taste like buttercream. It's easier to work with if you mix 1/2 and 1/2 with fondant. The rolled buttercream is very greasy and softens up a lot in your hands. A bit harder to work with than fondant.

Good Luck!
Debbie

cakelady Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 9:58pm
post #3 of

Where did you get a recipe for rolled buttercream fondant?

I find most people think rolled fondant looks great and tastes bad.......I only have one client who thinks she might try rolled fondant.........but she doesn't like the "way it feels" in her mouth.

melissablack Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 5:57pm
post #4 of

Well my kids are 3 & 4 yrs old, and they LOVE the fondant! lol. I used MMF, flavored it with vanilla, and my boys were just picking the fondant off the cake & eating it, leaving the cake. So I don't think you'd have to worry about the kids liking it. icon_smile.gif

rudoo Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 2:34am
post #5 of

Ok, I have decided to give the MMF a try this weekend. Sunday is my 12 year anniversary and I am getting a Kitchen Aid mixer! I think MMF will be a good way to break it in! Thanks everyone!

Justcakes Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 4:59am
post #6 of

I do a lot of fondant cakes and my kids LOVE fondant(age 6 and 4)! In fact they will bug me until I give them a piece of it to eat wheneve I make a cake now! icon_biggrin.gif
We have had many bday parties with kids and whether they eat it or not has a lot to do with what the adults tell them. As a general rule of thumb, if you tell them they can eat it and it's good-- they will eat it. If someone says it's yucky and to take it off-- they won't eat it.

thecakemaker Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 12:51pm
post #7 of

You're welcome for the link!

I made a cake with hand molded figures from fondant on it for a family gathering - the kids were fighting over the body parts!

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%