Army Cake Ideas Needed

Decorating By patton78 Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 3:43am by jackson

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 13

Okay, my husband is in the military and we just moved to AL for a training school (ACSC) for Majors that will last about one year. We are all getting together to meet at a picnic this Friday and I need ideas for a cake...I am not creative, any help would be great! It needs to serve 45 Majors plus families.

12 replies
freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 13

do they have as website you could look at to get some ideas?

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 13

You could od a red white and blue theme or a camo cake. I have done plenty of camo cakes. You just bake your sheet cake and then use green tan and black icing. With just a couple on the bag or a 12 tip pipe the icing into a camo pattern. When it crust use the viva method to towel it flat anf smooth. You can do the sides in choc. I usually pipe army figures and make a tank out of mini loaf cakes. depending on your skill you can even use green army men!! Hope it helps if you like the idea and have any ?'s pm me. And from one army wife to another God Bless!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 13

The most popular military (and hunting) type cake I do is a camo background with a dogtag and bead chain on it. You could adjust the colors to be appropriate for your guy's camo colors. For your crowd you would need a double layer half sheet which feeds about 108 (1"wide x2" deep x4" tall) servings. Or you could do a single layer full sheet (or 2 half-sheet cakes side by side) and cut 108 (2"x2") servings. Here is a picture:

http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_1633-12x18-Camoflage%26Dogtag.JPG

Oops sorry: I forgot to say you can write whatever you want on the dogtag...Welcome to wherever, or Happy whatever Occasion

patton78 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 13

Marcimang- thanks for the input, I have done a camo before, just was wanting to maybe do something differant. where in NC are you?

Sugarfrosted- is the dog tag and chain made out of fondant? you make these for paying customers I am assuming? what are their reactions?

marcimang Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 13

I live in Hope Mills and my husband is stationed at Fort Bragg.

marcimang Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 13

I have done a red white and blue quilt cake with an American flag in the center. it was a huge hit. I wish I had a pic of it. I sectioned it off to creat a quilt border and then did a flag in the center. I made fondant buttons for the corners. It really was cute.

SugarFrosted Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton78

Sugarfrosted- is the dog tag and chain made out of fondant? you make these for paying customers I am assuming? what are their reactions?

No, the tag and chain are buttercream. I get a lot of orders specifically for that cake, and yes, from paying customers. They love my cakes and get exactly what they ask for.

patton78 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:01am
post #9 of 13

Marcimang, I wish you had a pic of that quilt one too, that sounds really neat. It is so exciting to hear you live in Hope Mills! My husband and I were stationed at Fort Bragg from 01-04, we had a GREAT time, we can't wait to go back! We are hoping we can after this school.

SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:02am
post #10 of 13

I just read up in the thread and you said you had done camo before but wanted to something different. Does it really need to be "military"? How about a swimming pool cake, or some other "cool" thing since it is so hot down here in the south?

Pool party cake example:http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/child/normal_0341-12x8-swimmingpoolparty.jpg

Or how about a cake decorated like a red and white checkerboard picnic tablecloth, with ants carrying the food away, like in old cartoons icon_smile.gif

Oh, where is my mind! I forgot to show you a red, white and blue "quilt" cake I did for the library (sorry, soft old pictures, scanned, before digital)
http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/adult/normal_0622-9x13-quiltsquare.jpg

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:02am
post #11 of 13

how serious is this occasion....if more light hearted, could have some fun with cakes built around sayings like:

no minors here...only majors

this ain't the minor leagues, it's the majors (could tie in a baseball theme on that)

majors majoring in majoring

We may be majors, but our spouses.....(are the generals? still rule?)

we may be majors, but we still check with spouses

--------------

oh and marcimang -- maybe we can bump into each other at AC Moore or Crafts Frames & Things!

patton78 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:08am
post #12 of 13

Doug, you are so funny! It is pretty lighthearted, those ideas made me laugh, you are soo creative, wish I had that talent. You have all come up with some great ideas, now I do not know what to do!! icon_confused.gif

jackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackson Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:43am
post #13 of 13

Use a horse shoe pan, then place a wonder mold cake on the bend of the horseshoe, ice entire cake, then cover with brown sugar, then take balls of icing in the different colors of camo and press in random areas on the cake in clusters, then deco with little army men, flag on top of hill, the curve & cave-like area created by the 2 cakes is ment to look like a fox hole.
I made this cake for my husband's groom's cake. It was so cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%