Organic Ingredients

Decorating By sbcakes Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 4:40am by MamaBerry

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:37am
post #1 of 11

I have a request for a graduation cake...just a smal 8" round cake. But the lady said-" can you make it with organic ingredients?" I said "sure?" Why do I do this to myself? icon_lol.gif
Any help here?

10 replies
MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:24am
post #2 of 11

Land o' lakes eggs & butter, Arrowhead flour, Frontier flavoring...

Do you have a organic section at your grocery store? How about a Trader Joe's? They can help you.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:43am
post #3 of 11

Yes, try a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or some other natural foods store if there's one near you.

Make sure you work the costs into your price - organic ingredients aren't cheap.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 11

I do it sometimes. There are plenty of ingredients out there that are organic. I can find most of them at Shaw's if I need to, and it's cheaper than Whole Foods. Is there anything in particular you can't find?

sbcakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:28am
post #5 of 11

Well, I am a cake mix baker normally. She wants a chocolate cake, and peanut butter butter cream. I was also going to cover it in fondant? What exactly does organic mean when it comes to baking?

mabailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabailey Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #6 of 11

Organic usually means that your ingredients have not been processed with pesticides or anything that has chemicals. I use organic flour, organic sugar, organic eggs, organic oil or butter and organic milk. All of these I purchase at Walmart. I also use baking powder and baking soda that is aluminum free, not necessarily organic, but aluminum free. You can also get organic peanut butter there...I have yet to see any organic baking chocolate. I also charge $10 to $30 more for an organic cake. The organic ingredients run much higher. I don't do fondants, but you can get organic powdered sugar at Walmart too.
I hope this helps some. I have to admit, the organic cake tastes a little better than a cake mix. Good Luck to ya...>^.,.^<

wysmommy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #7 of 11

You can get organic cake mixes. They are actually very good. As far as I'm concerned if someone wants an organic cake, I literally go soup to nuts on it. That means organic flour, eggs, milk, butter etc...the only thing I tell them that isn't going to be organic is the baking powder, soda etc.

The fondant's going to be a tough one. Organic powdered sugar is very off-white colored and it doesn't work well for fondant. You will probably have to just tell her that is going to be impossible unless someone else has a better idea of how to deal with that one.

sbcakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:03am
post #8 of 11

Where do you buy organic cake mix?

wysmommy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:06am
post #9 of 11

They have it at my shaws. I get Dr. Oetker which is very good, or Cherrybrook kitchen, which is also very good. I haven't used them in a while (I'm paying for culinary school and use my cakes for "homework" these days") so I'm not sure what flavors are out there but they are very good.

mabailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabailey Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:23am
post #10 of 11

I forgot about Dr. Oetker...they are very good! I get mine at a local health food store. I have been making most of my cakes that are organic from scratch too, but I did make a Dr. Oetker cake once and it was fantastic...pricey, but fantastic. It might be just the ticket for you. I believe the brownie mix he puts out is the BEST I have ever had. >^.,.^<

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:40am
post #11 of 11

I use Dr. O when I've been asked to make cupcakes for children. The sweet taste appeals to munchins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%