Cake Baords?

Decorating By cakesfromhome Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 10:00pm by cakesfromhome

cakesfromhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesfromhome Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:16am
post #1 of 6

Every time I make a sheet cake (like, 11x13, 12x1icon_cool.gif I have to deal with the icing cracking because the cake is too heavy for the cake boards. I just buy the scalloped edge "serving boards" from Hobby Lobby and have to use two of them. Even then they still crack some. Last time I used two of them and put a small board in between them and that helped. Anyway, my question is, what do some of you use to put your cakes on? It seems like all of my cakes (sheet cakes, tiered, stacked, etc.) are always heavy. Am I missing some magic, sturdy cake board that everyone else uses? Thanks for the help! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

I use foam core boards that come in 2 thicknesses: 1/4" on smaller cakes and 1/2" on bigger ones. I get mine from Michael's whenever they go on sale.

cakesfromhome Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:23am
post #3 of 6

Do they come in different shapes or do you cut them? I am DEFINITELY going to Michael's to check that out!!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:26am
post #4 of 6

I cut them with an exacto knife.

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:41am
post #5 of 6

I use a big piece of foam board from Lowes that is used for building houses. It's like 8 feet by 4 feet or something, and it's only around $10. Works great!

cakesfromhome Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 6

I got a foam core board today and man, it seems really strudy! I think it is going to do the job perfectly! I think I've finally found my cake board solution. Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%