Another Question About Shortening

Decorating By brookej01 Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 12:59pm by agagnier

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:22am
post #1 of 8

so i got some hi-ratio shortening and well i made up a recipe of buttercream adn i can't put my finger on teh difference but it wasn't waht i expected. Is there something i need to do different i used one half the shortening to the recipe and the longer it sat the better it tasted but it didn't seem to make as much icing and i wish i could just have all of you taste it so i could figure it out. LOL and i had trouble making roses...it wasnt' stiff enough for the center but too stiff for hte petals..they were feathering...I'd appreciate any help

7 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know anything about high ratio shortening. You said you used HALF the shortening the recipe called for? It sounds like that should make a difference.

I use regular all-vegetable shortening, and we all love how the frosting comes out; so I wouldn't experiment with anything else myself.

This probably doesn't help you ... I guess I'm just rambling. My motto is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." So, if you were satisfied with your icing before you switched to high ratio; then don't change.

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 8

I also just started using high ratio shortening and also found that it didn't make as much and I also can't put my finger on what it is that is so different. My entire family likes it better but they can't figure out what the difference is either.

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 8

LOL, i always used Crisco but since they have taken the transfat out it doesn't do very well. I actually was able to buy crisco sticks with transfats...

the reason i am even trying the hi ratio (which for me doesn't taste as good as if i had used crisco) is b/c my sil and i am doing the cakes for my other sil wedding and she is having a cake per table, and in light of the recent issue in getting transfat i thought this was a good option. Now i'm not so sure. I'm gonna keep experimenting. since there is a 50# box of shortening on my kitchen table. I need to make it work. icon_biggrin.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 8

I use hi ratio but use 3/4 c per 1 c regular shortening that my recipe calls for. I think that using half the amount isn't quite enough. That will also help you get more frosting out of your recipe. I also think that will help with the feathering of your petals - if you only use 1/2 the shortening but keep the volume of the PS the same, I think that would make it too dry. Not sure about having it stiff enough for rose bases - I haven't had that problem. But I now use Hershey Kisses for all my rose bases so maybe you could try that too. It is great - you have a stable base that never droops and people get a little chocoloate surprise in their roses.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 8

If you're not using the same amount of shortening you're not going to get the same amount of icing. I use the hi-ratio the same as I would use Crisco or butter. 1C for 1C.

Debbie

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 8

I also use the same amount of hi-ratio shortening as the amount of Crisco called for in the recipe (1 cup to 1 cup) and have had great luck with it. Tastes great and it crusts and smooths beautifully too.

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 8

I heard the high ratio shortning holds up better in the heat. If you have to make a cake and it's very warm out that day then that would be the shortning to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%