Need Some Advise On A Business Opportunity.

Business By Cakemaker Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 12:40am by MichelleM77

Cakemaker Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 2:59am
post #1 of 13

Hello Everyone, I need some help with this. I have recently starting doing a few cakes from my home. I have the opportunity to use a friend's commercial kitchen, when they are closed. The kitchen is a bistro and they are open from 7:00 to 5:00 Mon-Fri and 7:00-12:00 on Sat. So I would have to use the kitchen during the off hours. I have talked to the local health inspector and he said I would have to get a food liscense and of course all of the other liscenses that go along with it. But I would be able to advertise, which no one else does. I live in a town of 3500 people, so I guess I don't know if it would be worth it and If I could work in those hours. I don't have another job per se, but I do have a 5 month old and a 21 month old. I just don't know what to do! The idea of having a "legal" business is very tempting and right now I don't have many cake orders! Please Help!

12 replies
Lisa Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 3:43am
post #2 of 13

I think if the space is free use it! You can pick your own hours so you won't have to miss dinner with the family or a weekend event. If you don't want to use the kitchen on a certain day or at a certain don't have to right? I think it's a wonderful opportunity which would allow you to build a business out of something you love.

Cakemaker Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 3:53am
post #3 of 13

Thanks Lisa! If I had a cake I would have to use the kitchen after 5:00 mon-fri and after 12:00 on Sat. Do you think this would work? I guess I didn't know if it would too difficult to work in the evenings with my little ones!

Lisa Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 4:09am
post #4 of 13

I would schedule the time when you had it. If you don't have the time, it's okay to say no to a cake order. I also wouldn't take any last minute cake orders. If you shedule the orders, they can be done in advance and when you have the time. After the children go to bed, every other Saturday, Mondays and Fridays...just whatever works for you and your family. Plus...if you find it isn't working for you, you can always stop. You'll be your own boss icon_smile.gif

Cakemaker Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 6:19am
post #5 of 13

Thanks Again! I guess I didn't realize that I could turn down a cake order! I think I'm just stressing too much.

peacockplace Posted 1 Jun 2005 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 13

Hi, I have two littel boys and I do most of my baking and decorating at night anyway. They go to bed around 7:00, so that would leave lots of time to get some baking done without taking time away from them. I'm jealous. I wish I could find somewhere like that here!

bonnscakesAZ Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 5:20am
post #7 of 13

I do this. I have a 3 year old. In Arizona though you can do the decorating part at home. I rent a legal kitchen once a week and get all my baking done that night. I work after they are closed too and my husband is home. I am usually there until about 9:30 getting all the baking for the week done. I pay by the day and only when I need to be there. Like I said though I am able to do the decorating part at home and that was checked out by myself and the owner of the shop I rent. I don't know if that is something you can do where you are but I think you can definatly make this work. And of course you can say no to an order. icon_smile.gif Thats the great things about having your own business, you run it all.
Good luck!

Cakemaker Posted 3 Jun 2005 , 2:32am
post #8 of 13

Thank You all! I guess I'm not sure if I can do the decorating part at home, but knowing my girls I would probably get the cakes decorated alot faster if I wasn't at home! I think I'm going to go for it, thank you all for your help in my desicion.

poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 13

I think it's a great opportunity for you to get your feet we so to speak and see if this is something you would want to do later on. Good luck

BakingGirl Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 13

Just make sure that your husband or family are onboard for staying at home with the little ones. If you have to hire in baby sitters while you are out the profit will quickly fly out of the window. Obvious I know, but just make sure your family realizes the commitment you are making involves them as well.

peacockplace Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:02am
post #11 of 13

I'm just wondering if anyone noticed this was three years old. What finally did happen?

gottabakenow Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #12 of 13
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I'm just wondering if anyone noticed this was three years old. What finally did happen?

my thoughts too. icon_wink.gif

is cakemaker even still around?

MichelleM77 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #13 of 13

Last post was in November 2005. Maybe business is booming and she hasn't had the chance to get on. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%