Sushi Roll Cake

Decorating By CakeCraze Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 1:27am by oceanspitfire

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #31 of 49

I know it was a little involved but it just popped into my head icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 6:14pm
post #32 of 49

oh and another thought...

if she wants a more "fantasy" sushi...

could (makin' up a new term here)

"tinkerbell it"

hit w/pearl/luster dust (ok pixey & fairy dust too)

fondant rice, pearlized could be cute.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 6:18pm
post #33 of 49

LOL @ Tinkerbell it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 7:18pm
post #34 of 49

okay, here's what I'm thinking........what about getting some of those chocolate transfers to wrap around the cake???? I'm certain you could find one in a dark green that would look and taste amazing........as for the rice.....why not use a thin layer of rice krispies with marshmallows.......if they didn't necessarily want to eat it like that it would be simple to peel off the top of the cake when they eat their slice!! I do like the idea of the white jimmies too if you don't like the rice krispies idea.!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 7:25pm
post #35 of 49

oh and I LOVE Doug's idea (didn't finish reading the post when I posted my first answer oops) anyhow......the idea of using ACTUAL rice that's sweetened...what a great idea!!! I'm sure you could find a kind of rice pudding recipe and put a thin coating of that on top......I'm sure people would be talking for years about this sushi cake they had with REAL rice on it!!! Sounds awesome!!! Can't wait to see the finished cake.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 1:18am
post #36 of 49

Doug, point well taken re 'look like not be MADE like a sushi roll. Course I'm a stubborn so and so icon_lol.gif so I'm going to insist that if it's MADE like a sushi roll then it will most authentically LOOK like one icon_evil.gif (Runs before I get clocked LOL)

Hey totally off topic, does anyone stay up all night in the summer to make cakes? I don't mean cause of last minute planning or details etc, I mean because of the heat. Good lord, I love this heat, but there's no way in hell I'm running my oven until at least 11 tonight, as I have to do 2 runs and well it's just way too damned hot now LOL. I think I shall have to nap now and bake later icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 1:22am
post #37 of 49

if i run the a/c all night full blast (old house, old a/c) i can get down to about 72 by 4AM...sooo.....that's the time to bake!

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 4:06am
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

Hey totally off topic, does anyone stay up all night in the summer to make cakes? I don't mean cause of last minute planning or details etc, I mean because of the heat. Good lord, I love this heat, but there's no way in hell I'm running my oven until at least 11 tonight, as I have to do 2 runs and well it's just way too damned hot now LOL. I think I shall have to nap now and bake later icon_lol.gif

I don't stay up ALL night long....but I stay up quite late. I either run the A/C for a while, but I prefer to bake on cooler nights and bake for hours. You know me, I'm not getting a lot of cake orders but I've got the family birthdays and I love to practice....so I tend to bake maybe once a week, use either within a couple days or freeze them. Yes, I now have some room in the freezer! icon_smile.gif

oceanspitfire Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 5:49am
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy177

Yes, I now have some room in the freezer! icon_smile.gif

Wow freezer space, I was always raggin on ya and now ya do- can I borrow some? icon_lol.gif I have 4 layers to freeze tonight and I have no room LMAO - good planning eh? And I'm still going to bake banana bread for a trip to the beach tomorrow . sigh. Well at least it's cool enough to bake now- nice breeze running through the house. So I can get burnt like a lobster tomorrow during the day LOL Are there any lobster characters in Dora the Explorer? icon_biggrin.gif

iamleese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamleese Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:00am
post #40 of 49

Just a thought...

There is sushi wrapper called mamenori made out of soy instead of seaweed. It is used in making some specialty "dessert" sushi. They come in pink, yellow, natural and green.

Here's a sample:
Gourmet Sleuth

Here's the wrapper used in a dessert sushi:

http://justfab.com/listings/bw.asp?filename=./sushi2003.jpg

I'm sure it's not large enough for your cake but maybe you can attach it side by side.

As for fixing your sample cake (it's not bad), the inside shouldn't be a perfect circle. If you think about it, rice wrapped around ingredients becomes quite irregular.

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/z/ze/zebulon666/246859_sushi.jpg

CakeCraze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraze Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:22pm
post #41 of 49

I have seen sushi rolls with rice on the exterior.

I will work with a star tip or some other tip with whit icing around the outside of the cake on the outer edge of the top. I thought about doing a FBCT of the fish and veggies inside. Then, outline in a swirl pattern with the seaweed color.

I love all of the great ideas everyone has contributed, but I am just a beginner. I tried working with MMF yesterday, and I stink. I am scheduled for course 3 in September, hopefull I learn some tricks of the trade then.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and pictures. They have really helped me to get an vision in my head!

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

Quote:

Yes, I now have some room in the freezer! icon_smile.gif

Wow freezer space, I was always raggin on ya and now ya do- can I borrow some? icon_lol.gif I have 4 layers to freeze tonight and I have no room LMAO - good planning eh? And I'm still going to bake banana bread for a trip to the beach tomorrow . sigh. Well at least it's cool enough to bake now- nice breeze running through the house. So I can get burnt like a lobster tomorrow during the day LOL Are there any lobster characters in Dora the Explorer? icon_biggrin.gif

So I don't have freezer space anymore. I have 8 cake layers in there! icon_razz.gif 2 10" choc PB and 4 8" vanilla. Oh pft. You don't need to freeze your banana bread! Hmmmmm.....lobster characters? Nope, but if you're doing that beach Dora scene like we talked about, you could always put a lobster on it! I'm sure she'd love it!

oceanspitfire Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 4:11am
post #43 of 49
Quote:

So I don't have freezer space anymore. I have 8 cake layers in there! icon_razz.gif 2 10" choc PB and 4 8" vanilla. Oh pft. You don't need to freeze your banana bread! Hmmmmm.....lobster characters? Nope, but if you're doing that beach Dora scene like we talked about, you could always put a lobster on it! I'm sure she'd love it!

UH no I didnt have banana bread in the freezer, the banana bread was for today- I have 4 layers of vanilla and strawberry cake in the freezer

Thanks for the lobster idea- but I think Ill just stick with what I have- tip or the wise, ideas dont get changed the night before or day of., cause that's JUST INSANE! LOL

OMG I bought butter and crisco this morning before we went to the beach, and well it's all ready to make BC out of, softened in the van all day LOL

CakeCraze Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:18pm
post #44 of 49

Well, I finished the Sushi Cake. It is supposed to look like a giant California Roll with rice and sesame seeds on the sides. It is a 10 inch round 4-layer vanilla with raspberry filling. All buttercream icing. The center of the top is a Frozen Buttercream Transfer. I blew up a picture of a California Roll and traced that. We added orange fish eggs on top (requested by my friend).

Here is the final product! My friend was very pleased.
LL

CakeCraze Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:22pm
post #45 of 49

Here is the final product!

[moderator edited to remove copyrighted material]
LL
LL

CakeCraze Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:31pm
post #46 of 49

Thanks to all of you for your awesome ideas. They were all sooooo creative!!! I wish I had the know-how to do all of those wonderful things you suggested. I was pretty limited because of my novice skills and my friend's wishes. I think I came pretty close though. It is definetely an improvement from my first attempt. She said she will call me tomorrow, after her party, and let me know the concensus of all the sushi-eating guests.

You all educated me so much about sushi. I am ready to go out and eat some for once in my life!

Thanks again,
Julie (cakecraze)

oceanspitfire Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 10:10pm
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCraze

Thanks to all of you for your awesome ideas. They were all sooooo creative!!! I wish I had the know-how to do all of those wonderful things you suggested. I was pretty limited because of my novice skills and my friend's wishes. I think I came pretty close though. It is definetely an improvement from my first attempt. She said she will call me tomorrow, after her party, and let me know the concensus of all the sushi-eating guests.

You all educated me so much about sushi. I am ready to go out and eat some for once in my life!

Thanks again,
Julie (cakecraze)

Eh it's just a bunch of heads going together and generating the creative juices. My 4th grade teacher gave me heck during art class one day because I coloured my sun red. She said 'the sun is yellow' - BS! LOL No matter what, it's your creative masterpiece, and every cake we make ends up being an improvement over earlier ones. That's just life icon_cool.gif
I can't wait to see the cake photo!

CakeCraze Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 12:46am
post #48 of 49

My friend called me today and said the cake was a hit. All the sushi people knew it was a giant sushi roll...woohoo!!!

The cake photos are on the bottom of page 3 of this topic.

oceanspitfire Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 1:27am
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCraze

My friend called me today and said the cake was a hit. All the sushi people knew it was a giant sushi roll...woohoo!!!

The cake photos are on the bottom of page 3 of this topic.

Woohoo that looks great! You ought to be super pleased! (DUH me somehow I skipped right to page 4 and missed the bottom of page 3>>>>blonde thumbs_up.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%