Is A Small Pt Home-Based Business Worth It?

Business By missmeg Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 2:37am by Jknoxcake2011

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:36am
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

It appears you already have an internet hookup, and therein lies the answer to your question. I like to say that in the last 2 years I have attended the university of the internet full time. And I must say that Google has become my most important caking tool. Everything I know about caking I have learned by starting with a Google search. I remember my first Google search was for MMF, and I haven't looked back. I must also say that many of those Google searches sent me to CC where I read and lurked in the shadows for a year before I felt I was good enough to join.

First off, your cakes are GORGEOUS! Second, I agree with everything you said. I am planning on going to baking school, but as of right now, google and CC are my teachers. icon_smile.gif

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #32 of 41

A lot of the issues about whether it is profitable to run a home business - is about whether you have the courage to price properly, stick to your guns and make sure that you are offering your creations out at a profit - covering all the necessary overheads plus charging properly for your time. A lot of the time home bakers will get friends and family say - could you just knock me up a cake - and expecting it to be baked and created at supermarket prices. This is where being completely focused and running your home business as a proper business comes in. I know that sometimes it can be really uncomfortable asking for labour charges from friends and family, however if you estimate properly in the first place and they agree to the price, then asking for your reward upon collection will not come as a shock or cause an atmosphere. No other trade is expected to work for the 'occasional cheque'. There is no reason why the cake decorating industry should be expected to do their work as favours for others - just because they are perhaps not so focused on the monetry outcome but more on ensuring that their creation pleases their clients!

CakesByTheSugarCains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 12:11am
post #33 of 41

I was happy to read through all this and see that other husbands have issues with their wives cake decorating... Thanks everyone for being honest and open!!

I guess I need to go through messages about pricing, because I don't see how I can make $100 an hour!!

bakerylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerylady Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:14am
post #34 of 41

my husband, is a big FAN!! He loves to help and comes up with ideas, if he sees me struggling, my 2 children are fans too, son in law has jumped on board too...We all get into decorating the cakes for the grandkids!! I'm happy to have a supportive family!!

Kelbag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbag Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:21pm
post #35 of 41

I wonder if anyone could help me. When I click on the link in the first post it bring's up my FlickR account???? Very confused here, because CharecaCake's is my company and I run it from England.

Sorry but a bit confused

Kelbag x x

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:59pm
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbag

I wonder if anyone could help me. When I click on the link in the first post it bring's up my FlickR account???? Very confused here, because CharecaCake's is my company and I run it from England.

The link in the first post is to an old Yahoo Photos site, that service has been discontinued in favor of Flickr, so when you click any Yahoo Photos link it will redirect you to the Flickr home page (which shows your own photostream if you are a member).

Kelbag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbag Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:12pm
post #37 of 41

Thank you... as getting confused and concerned!

Thank you again icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:38pm
post #38 of 41

I can't tell you how much I enjoy being a SAHM and run a small home based business.I am my own boss.I work when I want..I am home to take my kids to and from school everyday... I can dress how I want and when it's storming out I am always glad I work from home and don't have to deal with traffic or bad roads...If you are spending 2/3 of your wages on Daycare...It's time to look for a higher paying job or quit..It is not worth it!!

Mplspam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mplspam Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:32pm
post #39 of 41

I also need to post something here. I'm a stay at home disabled person who happens to love baking. My DH has revamped my home and especially my kitchen so I can bake to my hearts content. He does all the shopping for groceries, loaded and unloaded my wheelchair at the cake store and samples all the different flavors that are bopping around in my head.

I do this because I absolutely LOVE it. I can't sleep at night I'm so excited about a new idea, or tool, or technique that needs to be tried. I have done most of my cakes for friends and family. They are the ones who tell me I need to charge more. So I 'm trying. The DH gets a smile on his face when he sees I actually get paid for my dreams. I'm lucky to have so much support from him and I make sure I tell him so (especially when I forgot something on the list and he has to go back to the store).

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:08am
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplspam

I also need to post something here. I'm a stay at home disabled person who happens to love baking. My DH has revamped my home and especially my kitchen so I can bake to my hearts content. He does all the shopping for groceries, loaded and unloaded my wheelchair at the cake store and samples all the different flavors that are bopping around in my head.

I do this because I absolutely LOVE it. I can't sleep at night I'm so excited about a new idea, or tool, or technique that needs to be tried. I have done most of my cakes for friends and family. They are the ones who tell me I need to charge more. So I 'm trying. The DH gets a smile on his face when he sees I actually get paid for my dreams. I'm lucky to have so much support from him and I make sure I tell him so (especially when I forgot something on the list and he has to go back to the store).

You are so fortunate & lucky! Your cakes are really pretty too!! thumbs_up.gif

Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 2:37am
post #41 of 41

Love this thread !! Just sayin'.... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%