Large Acoustic Guitar Cake- Instructions

Decorating By donnajf Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 3:16am by maimai16

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone have the instructions on how to do a L/A/G? Please P/E or post.

My brother-in - law loves country and western music ( we all do) is getting married next month and I offered to make his grooms cake.

Because of the heat wave in these parts, I finally have sometime to practice Yee haaa!
This kid plays all kinds of instruments so I decided on a guitar. I really want to suprise him with a guitar cake. What do you think?

Thanx for sharing
donnaj icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 17

check the galleries...lots of examples there.

most are just large sheet cakes cut to shape

biggest debate is what to use for strings -- spaghetti or fishing line or string or yarn.

donnajf Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 17

Doug, Thanks for the feedback!

I just did some research and found some great examples.
I figured that I would have to draw, copy and cut out from a large sheet cake...
Oh myyyyy- this should be interesting! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 17

I'm getting ready to try one myself because my brother's birthday is coming up and he makes custom guitars we will have to trade ideas and help!

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 17

Use a large round pan, a smaller round pan, cut them so they fit together to make a guitar shape. Then maybe cut here and there to give it a more uniform shape.

Would either use mini loaf pans, or a sheet cake cut up for the neck. Use fondant accents for the bridge.

Man, I can't believe I am a guitarist of 9 years now, and haven't made a guitar yet...heh.

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnajf

Doug, Thanks for the feedback!

I just did some research and found some great examples.
I figured that I would have to draw, copy and cut out from a large sheet cake...
Oh myyyyy- this should be interesting! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

or borrow someones guitar and trace it! (offer cake!)

donnajf Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:51am
post #7 of 17

Doug,

I purchased a Wilton's guitar pan, with the pic and instructions. What I'm going to do is to copy the pic, blow it up and trace it- make a pattern. So, moving forward I can use it again. I did this with a snow white for a BCTF - that thing was over a foot long - it was crazy and fun ( when I was finished with that project of course) icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I'm going to scarve the body out from a sheet cake ( like you mentioned) etc. but, I'm wondering about the neck of the darn thing, do you ( or anyone ) have any idea how to approach carving that part?

What do you think? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
Thanx

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:58am
post #8 of 17

i f you look in the galleries you see two basic options...

1) all cake full height of body and then decorated to look like frets,etc.

2) piece of carboard or very thin wood, covered in fondant supported at the tuning end by one or two dowels.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:06am
post #9 of 17
msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:15am
post #10 of 17

i just delivered an electric guitar cake yesterday morning and posted the picture last nite...check it out in my photos. I did exactly what I have seen suggested...spaghetti for the strings- worked like a dream after I found some straight pieces! I cut the cake from a 12 X 18 sheet cake after going to Best Buy and actually tracing a guitar from off the shelf. I had to down size it a little bit to fit my pan, and piece together the neck, but it worked like a dream. I took pictures from beginning to end as well, so if I can help in any way, let me know. Maybe someone even still has their pattern and they could snail mail you a copy! icon_wink.gif

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:56am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

...after going to Best Buy and actually tracing a guitar from off the shelf. ...

I bet that was interesting icon_surprised.gif ....did you get pics of that to share? icon_lol.gif

ah, the ingenuity and somestimes, desperation, of cake decorators to get that perfect cake!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

great job on your guitar!!

donnajf Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 17

brightbrats thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for those links! that was very nice -I already bookmark them.icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

msauer,

I am in the process of making my own pattern. However, good old Doug was wright - ingenuity and desperation, of cake decorators to get that perfect cake!!! I haven't gotten there as yet - I think!
My main concern is that darn neck.

And Yes- Doug,
I would prefer to have it look like as real as possible. I'm looking over your specific instructions. I'm SURE that I will have more questions!

Yikes!

jackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackson Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:38am
post #13 of 17

check ebay, wilton made a gutiar pan

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:49am
post #14 of 17

I've done quite a few guitar cakes - 2 of them are in my galery. I've made the body of my guitars out of a sheet cake and carved. I've made the neck out of styrafoam covered in fondant.

I've tried 3 different methods for the strings - the first was spagetti....I did not like the look of that. My guitars were all life size so I had to piece 2 or 3 strands of spagetti together to get the right length and it just didn't look straight enough for me. For the other two I used DMC floss (for cross stitching) and blending filliment (also for cross stitching). I tied the string to thumb tacks and pressed into the fondant covered cake - or into the styrafoam neck.

Take a look at mine - one maroon and one purple...if you like the techniques I used I'd be happy to provide you with more detail.

Good Luck

donnajf Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:19pm
post #15 of 17

jackson,
Thanks for that REMINDER! a few months ago my husband and I did go on ebay and found some pans. There were a few from Thailand which was quiet interesting. Eventhough I prefer freehand work, I'm going to get a pan for a backup just in case. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SLK
I love your pics. I think I'm going to use real guitar strings- just wondering- how will they hold up on the bridge, wha do you think?

Thanx you both
A BUNCH icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 17

I' not sure how they would work. Real strings are pretty thick and heavy, you are going to have to get creative on how to attach them to the cake.

With strings like DMC Floss or blending filliment - it is very thin and can be wrapped around the tack - or pin - or whatever you are attaching them to the cake with....but real guitar strings probably would't wrap around and hold that easily. You can't get the same tension you would get on a real guitar....

What are you are planning on using to hold the strings in place?

I will try to find some close up pics tonight on how I put mine together and send them to you to see what I did (can't do that now cause I'm at work....on CC...but at work...no I don't have a problem with being addicted to this site!! really, I don't)

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #17 of 17

hi... i've done 2 guitar cakes. with the neck & headstock, i used molded chocolate. but i just made the mold. printed out the neck & headstock then used card boards as molders. used a cartolina paper for the sides, hot glued them, place parchment and viola... i got my molders. =) you can check the pics on my photo

with the strings, i used the silver strings found at crafting or sewing stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%