Should I Throw Them All Away????

Decorating By katie11 Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 5:20pm by BrandisBaked

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 19

I was supposed to be hosting a baby shower at work today for my good friend. Yesterday morning I made 30 WASC cupcakes, and 30 chocolate fudge cupcakes. While they were baking I started to feel sicker and sicker. I finished up, cleaned up, and covered up my cupcakes to decorate later in the evening. Unfortunately, I became very ill (I'll spare you the details), and went to bed at 4pm. My husband (the sweetie that he is), called everyone to cancel the shower for me, and put the cupcakes in the freezer. While I appreciate his efforts, he didn't wrap the cupcakes and just put them in freezer bags.
So my questions ....
1. Do you think that my cupcakes are going to make people sick if I use them next week (shower has been rescheduled)?
2. Should I wrap them individually, or is it too late?

Thanks!

18 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 19

I have frozen cupcakes in freezer bags before for about a week and they were fine. However, I wouldn't take any chances since you got sick while making them. I hate to say this, but I would toss them and start over.

Hope you're feeling better!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 19

Throw them away - you don't want the shower to be memorable for all the wrong reasons!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbur10

However, I wouldn't take any chances since you got sick while making them. I hate to say this, but I would toss them and start over.

Hope you're feeling better!

ditto icon_cry.gif
and
ditto thumbs_up.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 19

TOSS.THEM.

I know you baked and it took time, but seriously, don't take the chance.

Hope you are feeling better.

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 19

Sorry, but I have to agree. You don't want to chance getting anyone sick. It might cost you business in the future. At least you hadn't already decorated them all.

Hope you are feeling better.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 19

If you had the stomach flu (which is what it sounded like), then you should throw them away. That bug is super contagious.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 19

Throw them away - don't take any chances

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 19

The fact that the cupcakes have been baked AND frozen would pretty much kill any germs.

I'd say use them.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 19

I know heat kills bacteria in food - do you think that freezing would kill anything? Just a thought before you start completely over.

minnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnow Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 19

I'd throw them away, too. You have a pregnant lady there and you wouldn't want her getting sick or anyone else. Better safe than sorry.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

The fact that the cupcakes have been baked AND frozen would pretty much kill any germs.

I'd say use them.

As a nurse and a baker I would say the baking and freezing has eliminated 99.99 0/0 of any germs that might be lingering. High heat kills most germs and what it dont freezing surely will. thumbs_up.gif
But you should do what you feel comfortable with first and foremost!

BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 19

Was it a food-borne illness (food poisoning), or a virus? A foor-borne illness isn't going to make others sick. Most viruses would be killed by baking and/or freezing. Even the Norovirus is killed at 140 degrees (I'm assuming you baked your cupcakes above this temperature) - though it can often withstand freezing temperatures.

If it was the husband who handled the cupcakes after they were baked, I'd say they were pretty safe.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 19

I think they are fine in the bags but........ I would toss them. I am sorry to say that after all your hard work but I would never take the chance that people may get sick icon_sad.gif

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 19

Just for my own peace of mind I would toss them and bake again.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #16 of 19

Toss them and rebake when you're feeling better. It's also for your peace of mind icon_smile.gif

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #17 of 19

Use them!! The germs were killed in the baking/freezing. I cooked for the Men's Breakfast at church when I was sick with a nasty case of the flu (no choice) and NO ONE caught it from me. If you weren't licking the utensils and then sticking them in the batter, drooling into the batter or sneezing into the batter then most likely you didn't infect the batter!!

Ashlee

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 19

I would be more concerned with them not being wrapped correctly before being placed in the freezer.

BrandisBaked Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 19

I have never wrapped cupcakes individually (9-12 in a large ziploc bag) - and have never had problem. I would never waste my time wrapping each one individually...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%