I'm Ready To Give Up For The Summer

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 18 Jul 2006 , 11:11pm by dl5crew

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 3:26pm
post #31 of 45

It just seems to get hotter every day. And the humidity gets thicker. Even in central air you can stand still and just get sticky. My wedding cake this weekend needed some emergency surgery when we got it to the coiountry club. Yuck!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 3:26pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1nkle

Wwwwwaayyyy down the bottom of the world its chilly winter time....YEAH! No worries for decorating for me at the moment!

48 here today - wrap up with the fire going!
icon_confused.gif

Sounds nice! i will be right over! hahahaha!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 3:40pm
post #33 of 45

I live in south jersey,and its aweful humid here.every cake I've done this summer, has had some melting/problems due to the DANG HEAT icon_mad.gif it's only 11:30 am here and already 90 icon_surprised.gif I made gumpaste sandals and callas last night and spent 15 mins trying to decide where to store them till the weekend,I ended up with the top shelf in my laundry room,and checked on them just now...surprise icon_biggrin.gif they are still hard but I don't know for how long icon_smile.gif I have 2 weding cakes in the next 3 weeks and am VERY WORRIED about the heat.has anybody put a cake in the fridge with fondant/gumpaste accents?

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:09pm
post #34 of 45

We live in the southern California desert and our temps are holding steady at 115-120 with high humidity, plus we have fires in the surrounding mountains. When decorating we constantly have to put the icing either in the fridge or on ice so that it doesn't get gooey. We use our a/c all year long since it is a/c & heat all in one, which is much more economical. Our energy bills were much higher before we got a new a/c unit. These newer ones are energy efficient thus our power bill has dropped by $100. per month - well worth the money we spent on it three yrs ago.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:24pm
post #35 of 45

We're supposed to hit 99degrees around here today, and there's 50% humidity on top of that so far (it's about 94 now)! icon_cry.gif I was going to bake an angelfood cake tonight for a cool trifle treat, but I'm begining to rethink that one! Anybody have a cool drink?? Or money for my electric bill?? icon_cry.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:52pm
post #36 of 45

Just looked at our outdoor thermometer. Bad idea. Granted, it's in the sun, but it reads 110, and it's not even noon yet. Can't bear the thought of turning on the oven.

aprilsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilsloan Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:06pm
post #37 of 45

it's no picnic here in vermont either. My house alone is 98 degrees- we don't have a/c because we have retarded windows and the type we would need are double in cost. we try not to run the oven- last night it was so bad we went out for dinner. At least the resturant had ac. The humidity is so bad here that the tile on my floors are constantly wet & slippery and they won't dry, even with a dehumidifier running. My cakes suffer horribly- the frosting melts as soon as it touches the cake. Also, my cakes take FOREVER to cool down- I'm ready to drop from the heat.

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:07pm
post #38 of 45

Same here in Columbus, Ohio. Did a wedding cake this weekend and wanted to cry the whole time I was working on it...even with AC running constantly!

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:28pm
post #39 of 45

Has anyone tried Stabil-Creme Icing Stabilizer from Kitchen Krafts? I used it on a cake last week and it did pretty well! It did take it a little longer to crust, but it smoothed out easily anyway. It's been very warm and humid here, and I didn't have any problems with the icing melting.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:43pm
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrunner

We live in the southern California desert and our temps are holding steady at 115-120 with high humidity

Oh goodness, how can you stand that? Whew Image

Stay cool ladies!! Lots of fluids and stay indoors, don't bake unless you have to!

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:12pm
post #41 of 45

angelas2babies- I also loved Fall when I lived in Ohio (32yrs), here in WA my favorite season is Spring, we have tulips blooming in Feb. in my southern exposure backyard.

I'm off to Ohio on a redeye Wed. night to visit my dad for a week....hope all of this heat breaks up....but I'm not holding my breath....I'll need that breath when I'm ready to step out of the plane into the jetway....the humidity almost knocks you over!

dawnrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnrunner Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:22pm
post #42 of 45

Zamode - these tempts are typical of our summers, thankfully it hasn't gotten any hotter so far. We have had summers when it has gotten up to 128-130. I stay indoors during the day and either go out very early (5-7:00 a.m.) to run errands or wait until after 8:30 p.m. when it cools down to 95-100. The heat we can deal with, it is the combo of heat and humidity that does us in. My poor hubby and son-in-law both have to work outdoors and it really is hard on them.
Unfortunately there are things like Hospice meetings, checking on clients etc. that fall right at the hottest point of the day and I just have to grit my teeth and just do it. In September (end of) it begins to cool down to about 105 and its actually nice to be out doors again.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 8:49pm
post #43 of 45

Hi gang,

I am in the "coldest" state in the lower 48. Yeppers, that is Minnesota. We have been told recently by our infamous Meteorologists that in the past 150 years or so we have only had 65 days of 100 plus temps. Yesterday it was 99 degrees with over 73% humidity and I baked a cake!

Its killing me! You poor folks from the South, how do you do it? You just must wilt every moment! Minnesotas average temp in July is 73.1 degrees. (But of course we pay the price in January with the average temp of 11.2 degrees and winter desert conditions of no humidity. Our hair usually stands on end when we take off the ski caps and it usually casts a few sparks icon_lol.gif )

I'm praying for Winter!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 7:16pm
post #44 of 45

Just north of Columbus OH here ~ and just returned from vacation at Panama City Beach FL - where it was cooler there setting on the gulf on the deck than it is here in Ohio. icon_cool.gif (Have traveled to WA state a couple of times and that is WITHOUT a doubt the best place we have ever visited! - sure wish I lived there!) I want to know how's come MY FAT does not melt off of me like the icing on the cake...... icon_confused.gif (NOT FAIR)

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:11pm
post #45 of 45

Ive asked the same question quadcrew. We go to Florida every summer. The fat almost seems to grow. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%