Best Tasting Fondant???

Decorating By Pghnana Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 1:48pm by angeldream1179

Pghnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pghnana Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 16

Could anyone tell me which is the best tasting fondant? I've heard of Satinice and Petinice. I've never used fondant, have heard it's very easy to work with and would like to give it a try for my daughter's 32nd birthday cake this month. I'd love to try a Bon Jovi theme. Also, what size cake does 2 lb. or 5 lb. fondant cover?

Pardon me for being Clueless In The 'Burgh, but the idea of fondant fascinates me and this upcoming birthday gives me a reason to finally try it. icon_biggrin.gif

Pghnana

15 replies
shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 16

I would try making the MMf recipe here It is nice to work with and when you make it you can flovor it to you own likeing and you can color it while you are making it which saves your arms.

I love it and use it on all my fondant based cakes

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 16

satin ice is good if you need a colored fondant i use fondx its taste really yummy

www.caljavaonline.com they carry white chocolate fondant in different flavors and colors and it is very yummy

www.cocoaoutlet.com will send you samples of like 7 different fondants is you email them you adress info and say you want samples they carry the same brand that cal java carries but cal java is less expensive

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 16

i just got some samples in the mail the other day. I havent tried the pettinice or the satin ice yet, but the wilton, as we all know, is gross. I've made the marshmallow fondant at home several times and everyone has liked it. the samples in the mail were good too, and i got my in-laws to try it this weekend and they liked it too. Even my picky sil who hates everything said they were good, and my mmf was good too. I got FondX and some chocolate fondants. I'll have to look tonight, I cant remember what brand, but I got the samples after someone on here made the suggestion and had a link. I'll do a search and see if i can find the thread.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 16

Satin ice is good. I also use fondx which good, soft and easy to work. One thing about fondx the more you work with it; it will get softer and softer. So you color the day before or a few hours ahead of time and let it sit back in it's container or bag to firm up again.

You can buy both at http://cakedeco.com/

you will need to spend $50 but no business license needed. Great place, shipping cost are low, one thing is you will not know the cost until after it is shipped. I ordered two buckets plus some other stuff shipping was $17 to CA. Someone else I know order four buckets shipping was $16 to TX. They look for the best shipping cost for you. I have been buying from them for over 7 years.

Fondx is about $24.75 for 10lbs,

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 16

well I have only tried Satinice and it taste 200% better than Wilton. Now it can be a little tricker to work with but just make sure you have crisco, power sugar and corn starch around and you should have no problems.... If you have never used fondant before you might want to practice before hand. Are you making a square or round cake? Becuase if you are like....I still can NOT get the fondant to to sit perfectly on a round cake!!

I hope that helps......

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 16

cocoaoutlet is what i was talking about too.

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 16

Well I haven't tried the two you've mentioned, but I have tried the Marshmallow fondant. And let me tell you, I am a firm believer of that good stuff. I had been using the Wilton fondant, and trying to doctor up the taste. When someone here on CC told me about the marshmallow goodness. It is cheap to use...Wilton is about $20 for 5 lbs. MMF is about $8 for about the same amount. It taste great, and is easy to hcange the flavor. Rolls out like a dream, and covers cake beautifully.

Sorry to go on like that, but even my girls love the MMF over the Wilton stuff.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 16

While I can't really help with the Fondant question I have a great idea for the "Bonjovi" theme if you'd like let me know
icon_biggrin.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 16

I just went in on a case of Pettinice with a friend. I also make MMF.
The chocolate Pettinice tastes like tootsie rollicon_wink.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 16

forgot to add that caljava ships very fast i got mine in 2 days and if you call to order and say you have a business(i just used cakes by roxanne)they give you wholesale discount

Luckylurker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luckylurker Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #12 of 16

It depends on if you want to make it yourself or buy premade stuff. There is a really good premade one called Chocopan, made with white chocolate. It is very very good, one of the better premades imo. If you want to make it yourself, there are several good recipes. I prefer the one off elegantlacemolds.com (Carol Webb's) because it is easy to make and is just as tasty as the MMF. It is easier to make than MMF, or at least it is for me. MMF always gets lumps in it when I make it, so I've quit making it. The one off Carol's website is rolled bc/fondant, so it's easy to use, easy to make, and it tastes good.

Pghnana Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:10am
post #13 of 16

thumbs_up.gif Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. I think I'd rather try the premade stuff instead of making it myself. I'm going to check out all the suggested sites and will continue to welcome any and all suggestions and opinions!

and spongemomsweatpants, I'd love to hear your Bon Jovi suggestion! icon_cool.gif

Pghnana

angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 12:23pm
post #14 of 16

Pghnana, I love the MMF it tastes like really sweet marshmallows. It is easy and cheap to make. I have used it for all my fondant cakes. BTW, where are ypu located in Pgh. I live in Shaler.

Pghnana Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:08pm
post #15 of 16

angeldream1179

I'm in Penn Hills. I have cousins who live in Shaler. Nice to hear from a fellow Pgher!!

angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 16

Wow, we live so close. If you ever need any help let me know. I am somewhat new to cake decorating but I may be able to answer somw questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%