Wbh Chocolate Butter Cake -Dry- Please Help!

Decorating By elie Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm by shaloop

elie Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 4

I made the chocolate butter cake from the Whimsical Bakehouse Book (great book!) for the second time yesterday. Today I took the cakes out of the fridge and removed them from the plastic wrap to level them. I tried a piece and it is dry and crumbly. thumbsdown.gif

Last time I found it kind of dry too but once I filled (with cookies and cream filling) and frosted (with buttercream frosting) the combination helped the overall flavor.

I really like this cake recipe in terms of flavor but the texture is off. I don't think I overcooked it. I used the whisk attachment to mix the batter... Can that throw it off? Anyone had similar problems with this recipe? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. I think I am going to use a simple syrup to try to salvage this batch...

3 replies
JoAnnB Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 4

Buttercakes do not like refrigeration. It changes the texture when the butter is cold. Your plan to use a LIGHT simple syrup will probably help. Before you do,if you can wait, let the layers warm up to see if it changes to a less crumbly cake.

elie Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 4

Thanx for the response. I did let it set out on the counter before I tried it. I plan to make a very light ( more water than sugar ) simple syrup. How long should I leave it out with the syrup? Should I put it back in the fridge?

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix my recipe for next time?

shaloop Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 4

I know this is an old thread, but, using the whick attachment is probably what caused the problem. You whipped too much air into the batter causing it to dry out. Next time use the paddle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%