Hershey Kiss Trick

Decorating By goof9j Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm by Wendoger

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 25

I was reading another thread and CC ers were talkng about the Hershey Kiss trick. What is that? icon_confused.gif

I love this site.......

24 replies
klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 25

they say you can make roses out of hersey kisses. never tried it myself and not really sure how to do it.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 25

You can use a hershey kiss for the cone base of the rose icon_smile.gif

klesyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klesyd Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 25

does it have to be for chocolate roses or can you use other colors?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 25

You can use it with other colors. It's the shape of the kiss that you want for the rose cone.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 25

I've read this before too. It sounds like it would be an expensive way to make roses ... also the people eating them might get a scary surprise if they think they are biting into soft frosting.

tarisca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarisca Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 25

I haven't attempted the hershey kiss, but I have used the marshmallow and that worked WELL!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 25

...mini marshmallows work awesome!!!

terah79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terah79 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 25

do you have to cut the marshmallow or just use it as is? I love this idea!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 25

I have used the Hershey Kisses for my roses just recently for the first time. I LOVED IT! I would usually make about 10 roses and only keep one. With the Kiss in the middle, I kept all the roses I made and they all turned out wonderful! I used colored icing on the Kiss and you would never know it was in there.

HTH

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 25

I teach both ways. I think the hardest part of the rose is the base. If it isn't right the whole thing falls over. The hershey kiss makes a stable base.

duncansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duncansmom Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 25

I am terrible at making roses. Can you explain to me the hersey kiss rose?

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 25

I too can not ever get my roses right. Does anyone have a picture of one with a Hershey Kiss in the middle? Would love to see an example.

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 25

I just recently used the hersey kiss trick for my roses... after reading about it on CC. My roses were beautiful! I always hated doing roses because I could never get the base right.
I do let the customer know that I have used the kiss in the roses, so that they aren't shocked when they bit into the rose and find the kiss.

I would love to know how the mini marshmellow works.

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:45pm
post #15 of 25

You just put the hershey's kiss on the flower nail instead of the frosting base and make the petals around that. I make all my roses like this (I normally don't put a ton of them on a cake or it would get expensive!). I did it the first time because I was in a big hurry and didn't want to take time getting them to look right w/ my frosting base and not falling over. Everyone that had that cake just raved about the "special" roses and I told them that was just a "cheating" way to make them and they all insisted I always make them that way so who am I to argue lol.

*Edited because my spelling stinks! icon_confused.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:46pm
post #16 of 25

I too had base problems - since using Toba Garrett's trick of a fondant cone as the base, they are much improved!

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 25

hmmm, yum i allready have the kisses... i think i will have to try them out
sounds like a cool idea.

Bakingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingmom Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:56pm
post #18 of 25

I'm so intriqued about this! My roses never turn out the right way. I can't wait to try it. One question though, which type of icing are you using for this. I've tried many types.

Wendoger Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:57pm
post #19 of 25

...you don't have to cut the mini marshmallow...just stick it on the flower nail, it acts as the base....then you just pipe your petals around it...

I have not tried the kisses yet....I think it would work great as well but since they are hard, I wouldn't wanna 'surprise' someone... icon_eek.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #20 of 25

I have base problems as well but I found a video on YouTube that shows an extra step to ensure the base is stable.... here's the link for any that want to try it out icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #21 of 25

...I use bc dream.....

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #22 of 25

both of these methods sound so great i'm going to try them soon.

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm
post #23 of 25

I forgot to mention that if you use the new truffle or vanilla cream kisses they're not hard at all like a normal kiss is.

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:04pm
post #24 of 25

I'll try to post pictures of my before and after roses. I think, personally, that my roses look soooo much better with the Kiss in the middle. I was horrible before I found out about this trick on CC. Thanks! Hope the pictures help you out a bit. I don't have any pics of me actually doing them though.
LL
LL

Wendoger Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #25 of 25

ooohh! Those new kisses sound yummy! Maybe I'll be making 'kiss' roses later....lol......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%