Cupcake Shops

Business By gtshort Updated 21 Jul 2006 , 1:02am by kendraanne

gtshort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gtshort Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 14

Have any of you visited some of these bakeries that specialize in cupcakes. I found many websites for ones in NYC and out in California. Seems like cupcakes are becoming more and more popular. I'd love to open up a shop just of cupcakes in my town, since we don't have one, but I wondered if there's as much of a demand...

Any thoughts or opinions of these shops if you've visited them?

13 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 14

If it's something you would like to do...create the demand.

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 14

Funny you should ask! I was just in NYC last weekend and did one of my mini "tours" of a bunch of bakeries: Magnolia, Billy's, Cupcake Cafe, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, etc. There are SO MANY in NYC! We only have a few here in Boston, so I'm always up for a NYC trip.

I think the reason the cupcake concept works so well in NYC is that it's a true walking city. The most popular bakeries are all in heavy foot-traffic areas like the Village. So, they cater as much to workers on their lunch breaks as they do to tourists, shoppers, or people living in the neighborhood. Also, many of the bakeries there are open until 10 or 11 p.m., so they can catch all of the post-dinner and post-theatre crowds wandering the streets, as well as all of the people on their way to the clubs and bars. There are always people lined up down and around the street outside Magnolia, no matter what the time of day. When we walked by around 10 p.m., there were at least 100 people in line. You just don't see that in most other cities.

Interestingly enough, I haven't found too much that's "special" about any of the places I've visted. By and large, they do standard, home-style treats that anyone could make just as well in their own kitchen. Don't get me wrong -- the treats are tasty! -- but, honestly, I've yet to be blown away. In my opinion, I think their success is based more on the fact that they're providing a service in a busy, urban area where many people may not have time to bake for themselves and are homesick for treats like mom used to make. Just my two cents. icon_wink.gif

gtshort Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:27am
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the response! I'm thinking a cupcake bakery would be lots of fun, though I'd have to have the cakes and cookies in the mix to keep business up.

Hmm, the more I dwell on the idea, the more I think I might research it some more...and I can't wait until November when I visit NYC. I'll make my friends go on the "bakery tour" with me also! icon_lol.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:38am
post #5 of 14

lehall....I agree....there is nothing special about what the Magnolia or the Cupcake Cafe sell. In fact I found the Magnolia cupcakes rather dry. Almost like a devil dog type of cake(chocolate)...the Cupcake Cafe had better cake...they recently had to move from their old location to a new one.....not sure how that is going to affect their business.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:38am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehall2006

they're providing a service in a busy, urban area where many people may not have time to bake for themselves:

or the space considering the size of apts. in manhattan

lehall2006 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 14

Doug -- true, indeed. Many of my NYC friends have sad little galley kitchens with teeny tiny ovens. It's enough to make me cry! icon_cry.gif

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 14

Hi, if your interested in cupcakes you might want to check out a site I've been on lately and can only say good thing about. I tried 2 of her recipes and they were great. She is a perfectionist. I love it!!! chockylit.blogspot.com

lehall2006 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 14

Elipsis, that's such a neat site! So many great ideas!

gtshort Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 14

Oh I love that blog too! I could search the internet all day looking for cupcakes stuff...as well as being addicted to this site birthday.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 14

Here's more sites. They've been gaining popularity since Martha Stewart did that first blue/white monogrammed hearts cupcake tower in her Weddings magazine about 5 years ago?

www.yummycupcakes.com
www.eini.ca
www.sugarsweetsunshine.com
www.whimsicalcupcakes.ca
www.thecupcakeshoppe.ca
www.cupcakesonline.com

gtshort Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks!

luvcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcake Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 14

Love the cupcake sites! I love cupcakes. I just made some this weekend for my nieces and nephew. I put the cake batter in ice cream cones !

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 1:02am
post #14 of 14

Thanks for sharing - those are great cupcake sites!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%