Burgundy Buttercream

Decorating By bransmom Updated 17 Jul 2006 , 11:23am by bransmom

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:23am
post #1 of 9

I need burgundy for a University of Alabama cake that I have to deliver this afternoon and Wilton's is terrible. I ordered some Americolors last week and I have no idea why I didn't order Maroon. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

8 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:29am
post #2 of 9

..oh, I hate to hear that! I just picked up some Wilton burgundy because I need to do a late minute Redskin helmet cake!

Anyway, here is a link to a color mixing chart, HTH!!

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm

eema2four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eema2four Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:49am
post #3 of 9

I have used Wilton's with success!
Just start with a chocolate frosting--so much easier. Also remember that the colour WILL deepen over the first 12 hours!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:59am
post #4 of 9

I think eema2four is on the right track, but UA's colors are crimson and white. Crimson is lighter than burgundy. The chocolate icing may make it too dark. Perhaps some chocolate BC mixed into white BC, then add the burgundy? You can always add more chocolate icing if needed, but you can't take it away if it's too much.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sassz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassz Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 9

I've used Wilton's burgandy for OU's crimson and it turned out perfect. I added just a little bit of black to it to get my final color.

bransmom Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 9

The last Bama cake I made, I used half a bottle of the Wiltons......I am definately ordering Americolor today. I am not going through this again. When I add black, it turns purple. It is a disaster. I may end up using this cake for my son's birthday since we are Bama fans. Thanks everyone for the help

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 1:29am
post #7 of 9

That color chart is awesome I will keep it handy for future reference.
Thanks Mrs. Missey.

Kathy

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:30am
post #8 of 9

You're very welcome!! icon_smile.gif

bransmom Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:23am
post #9 of 9

ok, the trick to using the Wilton's Burgundy is to add red, just add as much as you need. Just thought I would let everyone know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%