Differences Between Us And Uk Cake Decorating - Questions

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm by gscout73

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 12:18am
post #31 of 33

HI
I HAVE JUST READ WHAT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN SAYING REGARDING THE DIFFERENT METHODS OF MAKING BUTTERCREAM FROSTING.
I'M IN AUSTRALIA AND BY WHAT EMMASCAKES IS SAYING UK AND AUS CAKE DECORATING SOUNDS SIMILAR. IT HAS TAKEN ME A FEW MONTHS TO LEARN ALL OF THE US TERMS FOR DECORATING, ONE THING THAT SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM IS THAT BUTTERCREAM AND HEAT DO NOT MIX WELL, I USE A BUTTERCREAM RECEIPE FROM A BOOK CALLED "THE AUSTRALIAN WOMENS WEEKLY COOKBOOK - KIDS B'DAY CAKES".

125GRAMS BUTTER, SOFTENED
1 1/2 CUPS (240GRAMS) ICING SUGAR MIXTURE
2 TABLESPOONS OF MILK

BEAT BUTTER IN A BOWL WITH ELECTRIC MIXER UNTIL AS WHITE AS POSSIBLE. GRADUALLY BEAT IN HALF OF THE ICING SUGAR, MILK, THEN REMAINING ICING SUGAR. FLAVOUR AND COLOR AS REQUIRED.

I HAVE NEVER FOUND THIS RECEIPE TO MELT IN HEAT, IT CRUSTS WELL AND IS EASY TO SMOOTH OVER WITH A HOT KNIFE.

ITS ALL I EVER USE AND I FIND IT TO BE A FANTASTIC BUTTERCREAM.

KYLIE

peteteresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peteteresa Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:28pm
post #32 of 33

i have just signed up as a member after reading all your posts about fondant, mexican paste, decorting etc.
The one thing I've learnt is that gum paste is similar to british modelling paste. I always decorate my cakes with rolled fondant (sugar paste), make models with modelling paste (make myself) and use flower paste (don't know US equivalent word) (made myself), for flowers because can be rolled transparent and makes fragile beautiful effect flowers. I often mix sugar paste (rolled soft fondant) with modelling paste (mexcan paste) because it sets the same as modelling but means you don't have to use so much modelling paste which is quite expensive.
Again depending on nature of flowers, I also mix rolled fondant with flower paste to save on the flower paste which is expensive. I make my own and can make about 1lb in weight (alot considering how much is used) for about £4. shop bought is about £6 for 400g.

I've been watching videos on you tube and have found so many different words that the US use that i've never heard of so this forum is proving very helpful

Thanks Teresa

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #33 of 33

Crisco - vs - butter: reasons for using Crisco
*vegetable vs animal fat
*result is pure white frosting vs yellow. White will allow truer colors when tinting.
*When using Crisco I've NEVER used fake butter flavor! Quite nauseating taste. Only flavoring used (unless using flavored coffee creamers) is almond extract. Result is not sickening sweet.
*Made correctly, I have never had any waxy/greasy taste or complaint about flavor-EVER. I have had people ask me for any left over icing because it tastes so yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%