Mmf White Powdered Sugar Spots

Decorating By KhymStacy Updated 9 Jun 2007 , 8:45pm by KhymStacy

KhymStacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KhymStacy Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:06am
post #1 of 8

I am having trouble with little powdered sugar "bits" in my MMF. I have used different brands of both marshmallows and powdered sugar, i have sifted the sugar.... HELP!!!!!! The bits are not have, when i poke at them they easily "squish". (sorry for my terminology, i'm tired!!)

7 replies
KhymStacy Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:07am
post #2 of 8

sorry, i meant "the bits are not HARD"

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:11am
post #3 of 8

Did you knead it well before letting it rest? Then knead it again. Those sugar 'lumps' should dissovle.

KhymStacy Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:34am
post #4 of 8

I did knead it well. It's resting now I was planning on kneading again in the morning. Have you had these lumps before? Thanks for answering me!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 8

I get the lumps occasionally, whether I sift or not (so I stopped sifting, lol icon_lol.gif ). Some things that help are 1) adding the powdered sugar gradually, 2) kneading well, and 3) letting the fondant rest overnight, then kneading some more. Really, adding the powdered sugar gradually is the only way I've found to help prevent them from occurring.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 8

The last time I made MMF I noticed a lot of PS lumps in the bottom of my bowl so I didn't even try to work them in. Just pulled the MMF out and kneaded what was stuck in it. Then I pulled out the big ones I could see when I got tired of that. Eventually you can work them all in. Next time you make MMF, add PS in small amounts and you may not even need the full amount. I think I left about a 1/2 c. of PS balls in the bowl!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 8

Ive had the same problem with making both fondant and gumpaste but my bits are hard. And no matter how much you knead they dont go away and I end up throwing the whole thing away. I havent tried the MMF recipe here yet but Ive tried about three others and a gumpaste recipe from a master! So if anyone can figure out what is going on, that would help many, many people!

KhymStacy Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks kelleym, I have been adding the PS all at once! Oh shame shame! I am going to try a little at a time. Now that I think about it, in the begining I added slowly and I don't think had this problem as bad!!! Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%