Originally Posted by cakesbychristopher

what is MM in the recipe?

Could be marshmallows

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 8:36pm
post #123 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Did this thread get corrupted? It says there are 9 pages but I get a "no topics exist" notice when I click on the last page. Is this happening to anyone else?

It happens to me frequently. I usually have to "sneak up on it," that is, start on page 7, then go to 8, then go to 9 and it will probably be there. But not always. Quirky site.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 11:33pm
post #124 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by daj85202

Sugar. 50.5 grams
Dried egg white. 5.6 grams
Starch. 0.3 grams
Xanthan Gum 0.3 grams
Maltodextrin. 1.0 .gram

This dry mixture has water added to it.

For this recipe, has anyone tried it with cornstarch as the 0.3 grams of starch? If not, what do you use?

Lola_pr26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lola_pr26 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 8:17am
post #125 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I tried the Gummy Spider Web recipe today for lack of anything else to make "webs" and I found it turned out fine. It is like gummy worm consistency, so if you're going for cotton candy like webs, or lace, this isn't going to work.

I put the liquid in a squeeze bottle (the kind you use for candy melts/candy making) and flung it back and forth on two-sheets-wide of waxed paper (coated in Crisco) in a criss cross pattern, and then just diagonal a few times. It dries to the touch in about an hour or two. It did not dry hard, but I messed up the recipe in halving it icon_razz.gif I halved everything except the 1 cup of water for the gelatin, so it was more liquid-y than it should have been.

Here is a picture of my webbing with mess up on the recipe:

Your so called messed up recipe for the web looks fantastic!!! That web effect is stellar since the lines aren't symmetrical and don't follow a pattern. Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:02am
post #126 of 287

I'm w/ you on this. the "icing" that came w/ the sugarveil gadgets just won't work for me.. tried it several times, to no avail icon_sad.gif .. I'm gonna try somethin-sweet's recipe, & hopefully it'll work in our tropical, humid all year round weather :/

bobbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Red hot....I am going to try your recipe...thanks....I'll post my results....

BUT...

I just want to say, that amazing as they make it seem...Sugarveil did not work for me. I have posted this before. I think I'm pretty capable in the kitchen. I bought the powder, followed instructions to a tee, 3 times. I kept getting a very frothy liquid that actually turned yellow in the bag after a day.
I wrote to the company and they suggested I tried again. I did....and I was very careful....no dice.
I have read forums where people have had success....maybe it was me? Maybe I got a bad batch? Who knows....but this was my experience.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:07am
post #127 of 287

thanks for sharing you recipe.. got me the sugarveil kit a couple years ago,icon_sad.gif but unfortunately, the icing powder that went w/ the kit doesn't work for me . now it's just sitting in the cabinet . hopefully yours will.. thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin-Sweet

Oops! Sorry crp7- thought I had done that- must have been on another forum! Here it is.......

3 egg whites
1Tbsp Cream of Tartar
2lbs Powder Sugar
1 pkg Gelatin (dissolved in a little bit of water)
2 cups MM (melted)

I mixed the first 3 ingredients together for 10 minutes as if making royal........then added the Gelatin, then the Marshmellows..........beat until it is stiff enough to pipe ( maybe 5 more minutes or so)

Try it and see what you think!

kim50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim50 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 4:17pm
post #128 of 287

Has anyone managed to work a recipe out for this that works? I would love to have a go icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 4:37am
post #129 of 287

I've been scrolling through this thread, and got up to page 6 or 7 and quit. Where is the recipe for this? Did I miss it, or is it not here? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Millmika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Millmika Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 8:03pm
post #130 of 287

Yes! Will you share your recipe please?

Sitti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sitti Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 6:41pm
post #131 of 287

What can i use instead of marshmallows in ur recipe??

offmycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
offmycake Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 8:02pm
post #132 of 287

Hi,do you have the recipe for your home made sugarveil..i would love to have a go at this..xx

MistysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistysSweets Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 6:24pm
post #133 of 287

Just stumbled across your post and figured I'd share a recent little discovery, you can spread sugarveil out really thin on a silicone mat and run it through a Cricut machine or any other electronic cutting machine to cut any design you need and I have been making some lace stencils for my cakes and will be trying this in the next few weeks on a few cake orders I have to fill....... Good luck and hope this helps.

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 12:45am
post #134 of 287

Do you have a knockoff recipe you want to share? ; )

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 18 Feb 2013 , 5:39am
post #135 of 287

Here is the recipe she posted! its on page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin-Sweet 

Oops! Sorry crp7- thought I had done that- must have been on another forum! Here it is.......

3 egg whites
1Tbsp Cream of Tartar
2lbs Powder Sugar
1 pkg Gelatin (dissolved in a little bit of water)
2 cups MM (melted)

I mixed the first 3 ingredients together for 10 minutes as if making royal........then added the Gelatin, then the Marshmellows..........beat until it is stiff enough to pipe ( maybe 5 more minutes or so)

Try it and see what you think!

mballen60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mballen60 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 4:19pm
post #136 of 287

ASomethin Sweet, can I use meringue powder instead of egg whites so it doesn't need refrigeration?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 7:10pm
post #137 of 287

Hello, quick question about this recipe to the people that have tried it. Does this means I can do some designs with this icing and they'll be flexible/bendable just like sugarveil??

sugarbaby8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbaby8 Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 5:38am
post #138 of 287

If it works I sure would like to have the ratio of the ingrediants

ivy850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivy850 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 10:20am
post #139 of 287

AThe humidity here is extremely high.so I always use oven to dry my confectionery icing. But once I take them out and keep in the air. They would turn to be sticky and soft again. Anyone has the idea to prevent this ? Or is it just normal? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3026124/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 9:34pm
post #140 of 287

It would be normal if that is confectionary icing.  Not sure with the sugar veil from what I understand of the product.  I have not used it to be quite honest.

The ingrediant to making the recipe flexible would be xanthan gum.  Think chewing gum, it is the ingredient the makers of chewing gum use for that purpose.

DawnEdwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DawnEdwards Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 1:17am
post #141 of 287

Hi I have a home made sugar veil recipe! 

You can increase the amount of ingredients if you need more of it.

Here goes..

1 Tbsp Tylose

1/4 cup BOILING Water

1Tbsp confectioner sugar

2 level tbsp corn starch

1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder

1/2 tsp. corn syrup

Pinch of white icing color or one of your choice color

Add Tylose to boiling water and with a small fork mix until you get a clear mixture.

When mix is clear, add confectioner sugar and mix, then add your cornstarch and mix again.  Add the meringue powder and mix again.  Then add your corn syrup.

Add coloring after this has been mixed. 

this mix can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.  To work with it leave it at room temperature.  Once you have made the lace, you can store it in a plastic zip lock bag.

To restore the elasticity, just place a damp kitchen towel on top, but not too long... keep checking it.

Good Luck!!!! :)

elbes cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elbes cakes Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 8:07pm
post #142 of 287

AI have bought the sugar veil set and other mats and its been a complete disaster. Not as easy as they make it look! One day I will try again.

elbes cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elbes cakes Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 8:07pm
post #143 of 287

AI too want the air powered icing set though!

DawnEdwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DawnEdwards Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 5:04am
post #144 of 287

I do know that one of the tips in using sugarveil is that you must not use any water that has been chemically softened, or with any added minerals.

They suggest you use only pure water no minerals or fluoride in it. Try using distilled water or water made by the Gerber Company called PURE.

Also, make sure that your home humidity is not too high or too low.

GigisFreshBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GigisFreshBaked Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 9:50pm
post #145 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEdwards 

Hi I have a home made sugar veil recipe! 

You can increase the amount of ingredients if you need more of it.

Here goes..

1 Tbsp Tylose

1/4 cup BOILING Water

1Tbsp confectioner sugar

2 level tbsp corn starch

1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder

1/2 tsp. corn syrup

Pinch of white icing color or one of your choice color

Add Tylose to boiling water and with a small fork mix until you get a clear mixture.

When mix is clear, add confectioner sugar and mix, then add your cornstarch and mix again.  Add the meringue powder and mix again.  Then add your corn syrup.

Add coloring after this has been mixed. 

this mix can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.  To work with it leave it at room temperature.  Once you have made the lace, you can store it in a plastic zip lock bag.

To restore the elasticity, just place a damp kitchen towel on top, but not too long... keep checking it.

Good Luck!!!! :)

Do you have pictures of what you've created with your recipe?  I'd love to see it

virqui1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virqui2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virqui2 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:09pm
post #147 of 287

On ebay there are different models, has anyone tried those silicone molds with sugarveil???

virqui2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virqui2 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:03am
post #148 of 287

nobody?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:21am
post #149 of 287

AGo for it.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 1:39pm
post #150 of 287

ACan't you use ck gumpaste mix to imitate sugarveil?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%