Red, White And Blue Cake?

Decorating By irisinbloom Updated 31 May 2005 , 3:42am by nernan

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 28 May 2005 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering if anyone knows or has tried to put food coloring in white cake mix to get a particular color, or can this be done. I would like to make a red, white and blue 14 inch round cake for memorial day. The white is no problem or the red, but I am stuck on blue. Thanks

9 replies
cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 28 May 2005 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 10

I have not done food coloring but i dont see why it wouldnt work. What i have done is taken red, white and blue jimmies and mixed them in the cake mix and baked them.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 28 May 2005 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 10

i made a purple colored cake.. it works great... however in my experience with this cake.. sombody ate too much and got sick.... and purple will stain the carpet icon_smile.gif

kissmeandcstars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmeandcstars Posted 29 May 2005 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 10

If you are worried about using the blue food coloring....you could try another option. I just made a 2 layer cake, one layer was red velvet the other was just white and made blue icing. We cut into it last night and it looks awesome!

Hope that helps!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 May 2005 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 10

I think that'd be a great idea kissmeandcstars ... do a red velvet and a white layer and do the icing in blue ... I've done flag cakes and confederate flags before .. but I like the thought of the color cakes .. would really be nice icon_smile.gif

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 29 May 2005 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 10

I don't think it would hurt to color the white icing, someone on another post about the checkerboard pans said that she colored her batter so that she could get two different colors when doing a checkerboard cake...so I don't think there would be any problem at all.....matter of fact, I'm thinking about trying it out on my checkerboard cake pan today, red and blue and then icing it white.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 May 2005 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 10

I have used purple food coloring in my cake as well. The baby shower cake that I made and placed on the tall tier cake stand has the bottom layer tinted lavendar to match the lavendar icing.
If you think about it, most cake mixes that we buy in the store that are flavored, like strawberry and lemon, probably have dry food coloring added to the mix so that you get the nice pink or yellow coloring.

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 30 May 2005 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 10

What you could also do is do like a marbled effect with red and blue. Just section off about 1-2 cups of batter per color and mix in some coloring. Then pour the white batter into the pan and then the colors and use a knife to swirl them. It also looks really cute in cupcakes!

~Kristy

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 30 May 2005 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 10

I have done the Jello-recipe for their "poke" cake before and that might work. Basically you poke holes in the cake with a fork, varying the depth of your holes. And you mix colored jello and spoon it over the holes. Don't pour it over, like the recipe says...then you'll get soggy cake. Here is the recipe for xmas colors:

2 baked 9 inch white cake layers, cooled
1 package (4 serving size) Jello brand gelatin - any red flavor
1 package (4 serving size) Jello brand gelatin - any green flavor
2 cups boiling water
1 tub (8 oz) cool whip thawed

Place the cake layers, top sides up, in 2 clean 9 inch round cake pans. Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2 inch intervals.

Dissolve each flavor of gelatin completely in 1 cup boining water in separate bowls. Carefully pour red gelation over 1 cake layer and lime gelatin over the second layer. (Remember...I wouldn't pour, I would spoon over the holes). Refrigerate 3 hours.

Dip 1 cake pan in warm water about 10 seconds; unmold onto serving plate. Spread with about 1 cup of the whipped topping. Unmold second cake layer; carefully place on first layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining cool whip. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Decorate as desired.

I have done this for Halloween, and other holidays too. Looks really neat when cut. I don't know if they have a "blue raspberry" jello, but they might????
LL

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 31 May 2005 , 3:42am
post #10 of 10

that is so cool

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%